MIDI, microtones, KSP.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bbshnai, Jun 25, 2019.

1. bbshnai

bbshnai New Member

As most people interested in Kontakt as a microtonal device know, there is a scripting language (KSP) that will occasionally work, based on the instrument library you are working with.

What I am curious is: How does it work?

The scripting language looks like this:
    %tune[0] := -14910
    %keynum[1] := 4
    %tune[1] := 33859
    %keynum[2] := 5
    %tune[2] := 4532
    %keynum[3] := 6
    %tune[3] := 16263

Essentially, each key on the keyboard is given a tuning value. These numbers do not seem to be pitchbend messages, nor do they seem to work like pitchbend messages. What are they?

If I send microtonal pitch bends to Kontakt, it can sound quite bad, because it is focusing on a single channel and you hear the notes glide with the pitch bends. This "tune" protocol seems to work more naturally....and ideally, I would like to send those messages from outside of Kontakt, since some of the instrument libraries have full script libraries already and I can't seem to add to them.

Thanks.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Those are tuning offsets in microcents, using change_tune() command of KSP. You cannot send this command externally to Kontakt, though.

3. bbshnai

bbshnai New Member

Well, is there any another way to send that command, aside from the instrument script editor? The formerly 'empty' slot script editors for many of these libraries are already occupied.