MIDI timing using Reaktor Sequencers VST in Ableton

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by adg672, Jan 16, 2014.

1. adg672

adg672 New Member

First post so hi to everyone in the forum.

Using Ableton, I've been trying to control non-Reaktor (virtual and external) devices via Reaktor sequencers, specifically 'euclidean seq demo v1.3' in the user library and Spiral (I've tried others too with similar issues).

Can get MIDI to the non-Reaktor device channel no problem, however the timing is all over the place. Changing the buffer size has some effect but nothing I've tried has fixed it.

Read around and see some similar problems but couldn't find a solution.

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. adg672

adg672 New Member

on osx 10.6.8

thanks

3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i loaded Reaktor VST in Albleon Live 9.1 and loaded the Euclidean Sequncer - just the sequencer - into the instance of Reaktor.

i sent MIDI from that instance of Reaktor into a second Reaktor instance loaded with SteamPipe.

the timing was fine for me. i played it along side a minimal techno beat in Maschine 2 and there were no problems.

sowari

4. adg672

adg672 New Member

thanks for the reply. here's a screen shot of the sequencer sending midi to an empty midi channel. you can see in the clip the timing's off.
    any ideas how to fix it?

cheers

Screen shot 2014-01-16 at 17.29.07.png

5. sowari

here is one of the preset sequences - mine looks fine to me.

i can't suggest anything, all i can tell you is that i am running Reaktor 5.9, Ableton 9.1 on a Mac.

sowari

Attached Files:

6. adg672

adg672 New Member

thanks anyway

anyone else got an idea?

Cheers

7. sowari

i'll try with other sequencers.

sowari

8. sowari

you have a point.

this is a screen shot of Spiral 'quantized' to 1/4 beats. the placement of the chords in Ableton is consistently early - see screenshot.

sowari

Attached Files:

9. sowari

here is another Sequencer - notice how every event is a little early.

sowari

Attached Files:

10. sowari

possible workaround for this issue

adg672, so after doing more detailed research, i agree with your findings.

it seems that the timing issue does have a connection with the audio buffer size in the DAWs settings. you could try reducing the buffer size for when you are recording Reaktor Sequencers - of course this could cause problems if you have a complex project.

i suppose another workaround could be using Input Quantize when you are recording into Ableton.

fwiw, i noticed a much 'tighter' recording in Pro Tools 11 - but it still was not 100% perfect.

cheers

sowari

11. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

Did some testing myself in Ableton and Reaper and it's a problem the Reaktor devs will have to address.

I do hope this gets resolved soon as I have some Reaktor sequenced projects in the works that I'd like to use with MIDI out to drive other plugins. Recording with quantizing, or quantizing afterwards is a workaround, I suppose, but not the same as recording audio live with tweaks on the fly.

12. adg672

adg672 New Member

Cheers sowari and ~PD~ for the replies and the effort looking into it. Hope it gets fixed soon - agree with the recording/playing live comment ~PD~

Thanks

13. panlogik

panlogik New Member

I have similar problem but in Reaper. Listening or rendering audio with REAKTOR as VSTi instruments inside project makes all its tracks out of sync. Some tracks play note to early and other to late. There is no such problem in v5.8.

14. John6455

John6455 Member

If the delay is a constant amount of time, how about adjusting the track delay for the offending track? I use Live 8.4.1, though that feature should still be around.

15. John6455

John6455 Member

Having tested the track delay, it seems it will not affect the timing of the midi clips being posted here. The clips are like a pre-fx stage. The track delay will affect the timing of those notes sent to instruments in the effects chain. Even if it doesnt look correct on paper, you should still be able to sync your instruments by ear.

16. Loopy C

Loopy C NI Product Owner

Agreed, ideally it would just work in realtime and save all these unnecessary multi-pass efforts to get correct timing ;-)

17. ipassenger

ipassenger Forum Member

This slight early midi issue is still present on Liv 9.5 and Reaktor 6. Buffer size does effect it but I would have thought this is something that could be fixed. Has anyone contacted NI or Live on this?

18. sowari

please provide us with a specific example.

cheers

sowari

19. ipassenger

ipassenger Forum Member

Take the attached patch and load it into an instance of Reaktor in Ableton Live.
    Have another midi channel in Ableton Live record the midi output of the Reaktor channel.
    The notes are consistently early. Changing the buffer size on the audio card changes how early it is.

I wonder if it relates to Live seeing Reaktor as an audio plugin and not a midi device and thus is applying a pre read buffer on its activities.

Attached Files:

20. ipassenger

ipassenger Forum Member

Actually, it looks like there is a some jitter there too.