Mikro Mk3 pad LED feedback

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Jul_, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Jul_

Jul_ New Member

Hey, can anyone tell me for the Mikro Mk3 whether the LEDs of the pads can be turned on/off via MIDI?

2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

edit: i was just not right in saying "I doubt it"....read on.
    (as in: what use case would that be for? we are missing a lot of other more "musical functions" :) )

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  3. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Perhaps while in midi mode but it's a stretch. Should be able to find out something in the controller editor I guess...

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

In MIDI Mode, yes. You can even control the color with MIDI if you want, it's configurable in Controller Editor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jul_

Jul_ New Member

Thanks a lot! I wasn't sure if that's for the big Maschine only because I know there is an ableton script for it that changes pad colors... So it should not matter if the pads send/receive in notes or CC? Well the use case would be a dedicated controller script for a DAW. You could even make a step sequencer out of it.

6. D-One

Hum... There is one for the big MK3 but that's quite a complicated script. It won't matter if the script used is built with that in mind.
    You can make your own... If you're a software developer who knows Python + Ableton's API.

7. Jul_

Jul_ New Member

I'm already using this great script for Bitwig by Moss but he didn't implement pad LEDs yet:

Moss still says that the LEDs cannot be controlled and I'm using the script as a workaround for my Maschine Mk1, so I cannot verify myself.
    My understanding is that you need to change the settings in Controller Editor, at "LED On" you'd have to change to "For MIDI in"?

8. D-One

I have no idea how scripting for bitwig works so it's not my place to say what's possible or not.

For a template yes, sort of... depends what you want to do, with "Lead On MIDI In" the pad will be dimmed and light up brighter when the controller receives midi from the DAW, with "Lead On MIDI Out" it's dimmed and lights up brighter when the pad touched. With indexed mode, the color changes with MIDI In based on velocities.
    With a script any possible combination of the 3 things is possible along with a bunch of advanced stuff, note that a CE template and a daw-script are very different things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jul_

Jul_ New Member

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, with some scripting Bitwig's API nicely supports MIDI feedback with different colours. There are quite a lot of scripts for devices with coloured pads and a lot of them are made by Moss:)
    So if the hardware supports it, he should be able to make it work. Thanks again, I will send him a link to this thread.

10. D-One

No problem. :thumbsup:
    Jurgen has an account here btw
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/members/moss.5688/