MIXING IN 2019

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AxMusic, Apr 23, 2019.

1. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

so real quick i mix in machine.
    i was wondering between sonaworks reference 4 (headphone edition) & Waves NX which is better?
    i really like waves plugins in general. And i have never used anything by sonaworks...

an insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

God bless your soul

3. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

lol

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

What is your intended purpose?

NX is intended to emulate a "perfect-room" in the headphones, including arguably gimmicky stuff like changing the sound based on how you move your head, to mix with it means you 100% trust whatever the algorithm is doing while trying to emulate a real room, personally, I rather really on my poorly treated room or learn how my headphone mixes translate in real physical listening environments.

Sonarworks Reference 4 (for headphones) attempts to correct the non-flat frequency response curve of your headphones by applying an EQ to it, the thing is frequency response is not always the same due to manufacturing deviations, so it applies and "Average" profile to the supported headphone list, that might not correspond exactly to the headphones you own, and therefore possibly make it worst... So, to make sure the profile calibration is adequate to your personal headphones you need to pay 99$ for an "Individual Calibration" profile... (Or buy a pair of headphones from them precalibrated and tested lol) So this + the cost of the plugin itself is 198$ (99+99)... If your headphones cost 200$ then I think your better off buying a 400$ pair headphones instead that offer a flatter frequency response out of the box instead of spending money fixing a pair of cheap headphones.

To me, all these solutions are really gimmicky, my personal opinion though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

yeah sonar works is f**** expensive so i was wondering if waves nx is a good alternative. now i see they see different purposes..
    i'm gonna try out the demo and see if i like it... because my room is treated as best i can but the bass build up is ridiculous...

6. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

btw would I throw nx on the master bus when mixing?

7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes, they are intended for the master, then before exporting your mix/master you have to turn it off so your room correction isn't applied to the music.
    Yeah, the bass is often the hardest thing to fix. A great way to understand your room's problems is by going to a professional studio and listen to your music there, and try to understand the differences and take that into account when mixing.

8. Crazy Lou

Crazy Lou NI Product Owner

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019
  9. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

I've heard good things about Sonarworks, but never tried it myself... so that's all hearsay for now. Never heard of the Waves thing, looks gimmicky.. but that's what I thought about Sonarworks too.. so who knows. Waves generally is hit and miss, especially with their newer plug-ins and the scummy WUP nonsense kinda makes me disregard anything that comes out of them, regardless if it's good.

In any case, randomly throwing new software at your poor mixes is always a bad idea.

10. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

I got sonarworks for free with my focusrite soundcard and I actually like it on my AKG K702s. They really lacked bass, and they sound a lot better with sonarworks enabled. Yet, I don't think I would pay for it, I think it would be safer to save up for high quality headphones.