Mk2 user upgrade or add jam

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by kaotik78, May 3, 2019.

1. kaotik78

kaotik78 NI Product Owner

Its been a while since I looked at anything that could accompany my mk2 and possibly aid in my ability to make music till I looked closer at jam.

Now I realize it’s. I thing new and has been out for some time but I have taken a bit of a break from Maschine mainly due to always getting frustrated with workflow or getting lost in the software trying to figure out (to me) what should be simple yet requires research or digging deeper into the software.

I currently have a komplete audio 6 card, Mac Pro tower 2010 and a Mac Pro laptop 2010 that I use my Mk2 with along with komplete 9 ultimate that I got as a cross grade from having my mk2.

I looked at the new mk3 and started thinking that perhaps the jam isn’t the best thing to add and I should get the mk3 and sell my mk2, but that opened up the issue with license transfer and my komplete 9 crossgrade (confused), since I purchased Maschine v2 software separately.

The whole screens on maschine debate entered my mind again as I have my monitor in front of me and the mk2’s screens, I don’t look at them much anyways so I went back to thinking perhaps the jam maybe best but I honestly don’t know.

I tend to start with maschine making a 4,8,16 bar loop then adding elements to build energy but have difficulty laying/playing everything in a way that doesn’t involve me having to duplicate a scene, add it to the stranger then go back and add effects sweeps etc, perhaps this is where Jam would help?

I’m not entirely sure what I should do or could I’d given the license cross grade should the mk3 be better or jam. I’m also hoping my laptop and Mac Pro desktop can still handle the additional controller should I choose to add the Jam.

Any advice or insight would help!

2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I was using a Mk2 and Jam but then got a really good offer on a Mk3 and to be honest sometimes I actually miss the Mk2. The pads are better on the Mk3 and the switching between single and chords is a great boon but otherwise I'm not sure I notice that much difference and IMHO the transport controls on the MK2 are better. I also have Komplete Audio 6 so having the audio on the Mk3 wasn't a great boon plus being lazy I use wasapi until I was going to finalise stuff. For editing Jam is so handy and from what you are saying about having to duplicate scenes Jam makes that so much faster.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. kaotik78

Thanks for sharing your insight on the mk3 and the jam!

4. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

I went for a used yet mint mk2/Jam/KK S25 combination instead of an mk3. I'm convinced this offers me much more than just the mk3.

5. kaotik78

Thx Lotuz, that move makes sense. I'm not sure how much I'd have gained with just the mk3 over my mk2. Course I walk into my local guitar center this morning and they have 0 jam's, and they had only a mk3 floor model for 120 less... go figure, I was somewhat tempted but it just doesn't make sense. Probably good that it wasn't hooked up so I couldn't mess about with the screens. Needless to say I left empty handed :(

6. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Walking out of a store empty handed... Who doesn't know that feeling? Yes, I was tempted by the mk3 screens too, but then I looked up from my controller and saw one big screen that made a lot more sense to me. :D

Try Ebay or an online shop for a Jam. It's worth it. And if you don't like it after all, sell or return it again.

Attached Files:

7. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I have the screens on both KK S61 Mk2 and Maschine Mk3. They are rather pretty but are they as functional or useful as they could be or want to appear to be. I'm biased but I would say no.