1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

MK3 looks great, but I'm guessing I can't just buy HW?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by mlbstrd, Sep 22, 2017.

1. mlbstrd

mlbstrd New Member

Might be an obvious one...

I'm still rocking a MK1 (!) and the MK3 finally looks like the upgrade i've been waiting for (the interface sold me). BUT, I'm guessing there's still no way to buy just the controller, without waiting for ebay, CL, etc? Seems super dumb for registered users to have to buy the entire package again if they want to upgrade the hardware...

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

??????

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. GoGoGomez

GoGoGomez NI Product Owner

"How much for one rib?"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Trevorhor

Trevorhor NI Product Owner

Not at launch but used ones will eventually get to Guitar Center or Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. s3kn0tr0n1c

s3kn0tr0n1c NI Product Owner

NI loose a hardware sale from me because of this...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

As I have seen somewhere here, now software is tide to HW controller. So you cannot sell HW without software.
    Don’t know if you can use old software with the new hardware. I hope @Mick @ NI can clarify.

Sent via Tapatalk | keep-disco-evil

7. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass NI Product Owner

Seems pretty simple to me, if you don't want to own 2 soft licenses and your getting the new hardware, deregister the old stuff and sell them. then your left with one hardware and one soft license, Problem solved.

Ultimately, if the new hardware is worth $600 to you the rest is irrelevant.

8. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Since Maschine Jam there is just the hardware serial number. As soon as you register this the software will be made available in your Native Access account. So there is no way of selling the software separately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

But the controller works with other Maschine software. Since I had my soft installed just plugged in Jam and it’s working. Good to know that I need to sell old software when I’m gonna switch to MK3 from my Mk2.
    Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk | keep-disco-evil

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. OhulahanBass

I really don't get this complaint or entitlement to sell something even NI doesn't sell. Its essentially free soft and all other native controller products follow same practice with similar or more prices with less software: Push, Roli...

Your talking about the same software that comes free with Maschine Mikro, a $350 piece of kit, that features the best pads on the market like the more expensive maschines. If they aren't packaging the soft free with the hardware it can't be worth much, not enough to moan about. If they bundle free soft with your hardware your not entitled to sell it. They don't even sell what your complaining about not being able to sell.

Plus, NI doesn't force you to keep your old Maschine, just sell for $200 with license and now your good to go.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Yeah and before Jam NI didnt "force" you to have the sofware tied to the hardware...not in the mikros or the Mk1 and mk2. In fact when Jam came out they offered free expansions to those who already owned the license. So while I agree the software is now free with the hardware, that wasnt always the case, they werent tied together, and thats why some of us view the licenses and registrations as separate entities.

The fact is some of Maschine users have been around since its inception in 2009 and their reward for that loyalty is to pay the same price as anyone else for the mk3 with no way to offset that cost other than to sell their previous units.

Theres a wealth of used controllers that have been sold and are being sold, and I bet theres a fair amount of these using pirated software because of the lack of licenses being sold on. Seems a missed opportunity.

Also I see you mentioned Push...Ableton bought back my Push 1 when Push 2 came out, not the best example methinks ;)

12. OhulahanBass

You buy the hardware and you get the soft with it. Stop thinking about it as separate entities and it is simple. If you find a way to make money off soft resale, good on you, but I don't see the entitlement to sell something NI and no store does.

The Push buy back was a classy move, but you can simulate that on ebay. Don't forget, Push 2 is priced similar to Maschine and only comes with scaled back starter software, whether that package is more or less value is up to consumer.

If you own a Maschine and the leaps forward in MK3 aren't worth $600 to you, don't buy it. Wait till 2018 and snag one used without license.

I think people will stop crying about the software attachment once these hit the stores.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

who's crying?

and what do you mean no store does?

I can sell spark's software, I can sell Live intro that comes with Push...I can sell the MPC studio software too??

If NI want to reward loyal users with nothing that's up to them, but you don't get to dismiss others opinions because you're happy to shell out $600. This hardware/software tied license is far more recent than Maschines lifespan, so imho people have every right to question it.

And yes you are right, you don't have to buy it, I wont. :)

14. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Don't mention the word "crossgrade".

15. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Id buy it in a crossgrade heartbeat lol

I guess Im just miffed that Ive bought into the whole NI universe (mikro, maschine, Jam, Komplete Ultimate, 4.3 million expansions) for 6 years and I still have to pay the same as some n00b for a mk3

wheres my entitlement discount??? Im not even a millennial!! :D

16. OhulahanBass

Not telling you how to feel. Sorry if I triggered you by saying "crying" I admit that was poor tact on my part. Its a free internet, you can go forum to forum complaining about this. But I can disagree.

I don't recognize any ones entitlement to sell the soft separately when neither the creator or any NI distributor does. If it makes sense to you, cool, I disagree.

Crossgrade would be dope though:thumbsup: I wouldn't expect it but I would appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I completely get what you are saying But Maschine came out in June 2009. Until 2016 with the introduction of Jam the software was separate, and it was free to resell as you saw fit. So you may be new to the Maschine universe, but for some of us, who never asked or were told that this would be changed, it can be a bit of a bugbear. Crossgrade/software resell/free exp packs/discount/buy back...Im not really interested in how they add value for long time users, I just think as basic marketing 101 it would be a good idea. but alas, it aint happening :)

18. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Dont really get what your saying its the same software.. reg and dereg.. the question is why buy it if the software is the same.. smh mk1 works right so what the big deal preview instruments or the sound card built in sold u

• Like Like x 1
  19. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

who mentioned the size of the license? Lol

Yeah Im cheap...Ive got a psr 36, rx 15, and two childrens school fees...carry on

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Real talk there! I get what your saying for registered owners you could buy the hardware for hundred less? Since software goes around a hundred.. yea i get it but i dont see getting a updated hardware with the same problematic hardware..