MK3 variation function?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Nov 25, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i never really use this function, but i am not really understanding an aspect of it. I am applying it to a shaker at probability 10% and it still inputs about twenty midi notes in a bar which is far too many for its lowest setting. There isn't an option to make the probability (aka frequency of the notes) any lower. is it supposed to be like this? it's just spazzing out and doesn't put enough spaces between the notes. there isn't even a note range on my MK3 the way it is in this tutorial in the "random" setting or a note count.

does anyone even include this function in their workflow? i'm guessing it's more useful for percussion elements, but it doesn't get talked about much.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

i use VARIATION a lot, but not the random part of it. i use it for the usual velocity variation or to sometimes to put a sounds velocity all to the same strength when they have been "random" before...

i need to check out this randomness probability thing you talk about...(used it only once but didn't recognise anythin strange about it then)

• Like Like x 1
  3. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

After you have selected RANDOM, you can use the APPLY button to create the random patterns.

René

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Probability takes Grid value into account so if you have something like 1/128 active 10% will give you a ton of notes, use something more manageable like 1/16 for example.
    Note ranges are only available when the current Sound/Pad is in Keyboard Mode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

boom. solved both of my problems. thank you!