1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Monark Pitch Bend Range - Too limited

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Mothershed, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Mothershed

Mothershed NI Product Owner

The new Monark synth sounds great, but what I really don't understand is the chosen pitch bend range on the back panel (B). The smallest interval seems to be a perfect 4th, and the largest is a major 6th, neither of which have much practical use, in my opinion. Perhaps there is a historical reference here that I am not aware of, but that does not change the practical implications of this limitation.

Please introduce the 2nd (two semi-tones) and the octave! These are actually useful intervals, and truly ad expressiveness to this otherwise great synth. Thanks NI!

• Like Like x 1
  2. TProd

TProd New Member

I'm new to Komplete and thus also to Monark, and as much as I was stunned by its sound I was also ver disappointed with the limited pitch bend range. Then... I found how to set it to an octave.

1) Go to the "B" page (representing possibly the "rear panel").
    2) Toggle Edit mode.
    3) Right-click the pitch bend range rotary knob and click to see its properties ("PB Range Properties").
    4) In the left -hand pane, click the FUNCTIONS tab.
    5) Under "Range", set Max to 12 and Min to -12.

After this, you can have an octave up an down. In fact it gets rather weird, if you turn the PB range know fully clockwise you can even get much larger intervals. You get an octave up or down when the know is turned to approximately 1 o'clock. But I noticed that after reloading the Logic project that container this instance of Monark, the know was turned fully clockwise and the range was exactly an octave up or down.

I don't claim to "understand" this. I am disappointed that NI do not make it easier to adjust the pitch bend range. But at least it can be done. See, when I don't have my musician hat on, I write manuals for pro audio products, or translate them, and I do tech support. So I'm not completely incapable of understanding technical matters. But when i have my musician's hat on, I would like everything to be easy. I didn't know, when I bought Komplete, that I'd have to look under the bonnet like this. Why not have pitch bend range fields easily accessible on the "front panel"? I have a track to produce here, and all the research on adjusting the pitch bend range has been a waste of time.

I'm still glad I have Monark though, because I thought I could not replace the "R&B Ballad Bass" from my Korg Triton LE with a virtual instrument. But I tried, and with Monark, I can... it took more work, but the sound is just superb.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

The control for pitch bend range is defined from 0 to 1, which means it is scaled differently somewhere deep inside the structure. So, if the range 0-1 is scaled to 5-9 semitones, that just means you have to set the range of the knob to fit the range of 2-12 semitones.

If you set the knob range to go from -1.5 to 1.5, you will get an actual pitch bend range from 0 to 12 semitones. If you don't want to have 0 semitones as an option, just set the lowest value to -0.75 and that's it, now it's set to 2 semitones at minimum.

4. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Hey, I wanted to achieve a 0-12 pitch bend myself, found this thread and tried it out but the 1.5 range EvilDragon Suggested was wrong, at least for me.

I was left with a Major 7th(11semis) bend. I figured the math out and it turns out that Traktor calculates the range based on 7.
    so the right settings should be 1.714285....... / -1.714285....... (12/7).

Thanks for the info though TProd and EvilDragon, I would never ger to how to set the range in the 1st place myself!

5. baz25216

baz25216 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm using Monark on a Macbook Pro and Logic as the platform. I have not been able to find the pages described above when right clicking on the pitch bend range rotary dial. I only get two options coming up which are not giving me the option to change the pitch bend range as described above with "PB Range Properties", i only see the options "set to default" or "MIDI & Osc learn" when i ctrl click from my macbook pro pad (which is the same as right click on a mouse i believe). Any thoughts on how to get round this as i currently cannot modify the pitch bend range and this is a ball ache!

cheers,

B

• Like Like x 1
  6. baz25216

baz25216 New Member

Also can you automate the pitch bend function in logic pro? I have been looking at the options and haven't found the PB range option in the list of automatable selections?

7. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

8. baz25216

baz25216 New Member

Disco :) Thanks for the help chaps, 1 octave pb sorted :)

9. parawitz

parawitz New Member

I'm posting my issue in this thread since it is also related to pitch bend, I have noticed that when attempting to switch from one extreme to the other instantly thru a midi message there's a very long slew and the update takes forever, this slew is also present but not as noticeable when going from 8192 to either 16383 or 0. What can I do to overcome that (the aim being to set it up for microtonality, I don't think scala files are an option in reaktor player (?)) ?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. Wasaia

Wasaia NI Product Owner

How did you solve it?

11. h3rtz

h3rtz New Member