1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Motion Clusters

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by uksnowy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Ok, so just starting to use Motion Clusters in a piece and I am very impressed with it but for some reason I cannot get it to sync with my DAW. I use Reaper. Other ensembles sync ok but Motion Clusters just always seems to be not quite on the beat. I can get it close but perfect. Is there something I should be doing to get this ensemble to lock to my DAW? I have tried using correct ratios in the two BPM controls.

Attached Files:

2. playmodes

playmodes NI Product Owner

hey Uksnowy!

i'm afarid Motion Clusters is not thought as a tool for tight grid syncing. Just if your number od bpm divisions is integer, the number of oscillators is a multiple of your time signature, and you are not waveshaping too much (using pow, for example) you will get all notes quantized to the grid...

Motion Clusters is a tool that is thought for the contrary... releasing sequencing from grids and using the alternate idea of transversal waves crossing a threshold as a trigger for notes.. Consequently, many of the rhythms you will get from it are off-the grid, although they are periodical

If you want to have the sequences quantized, you will have to apply some post-processing in your daw (ie Quantize)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Philippe

Philippe NI Product Owner

Motion Clusters is a difficult beast to master (but more important might be not to master it :) and a beauty.
    BTW, playmodes , Polycomb is also yours, right? I was wondering if it was a prequel, a sequel or may be a side project of MC ?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. playmodes

Hey Philippe!

Good observation! there's many developments on Motion Clusters which are derived from PolyComb. Mainly the polyphonic LFO idea, where each of the voices of the LFO are assigned to different parameters of the polyphonic synth.
    Polycomb was actually a previous development than MC, and it has been evolving a lot through all the years. I use it in most of the Playmodes installations, spanning voices along large arrays of speakers, having a single oscillator per speaker, like in this project:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Philippe

Very nice project ! So you have a multi out version it seems ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. playmodes

Yeah, i adapt the synth for every project depending the number of speakers i'll be using. It is very easy, as each voice on the original polycomb hosts a single oscillator. Spanning oscillators along a multichannel array just means using a bunch of from-voice, to-voice and panner/distributor modules.

The frustrating limitation i find in reaktor is that it is not possible to use more than 16outputs with the vst version, so i've been trying to find a workaround lately using max/msp to save the synth parameters and using multiple instances of the polycomb ensemble to overcome the 16 output limitation... i'm praying every night for the reaktor development team to listen to my requests, but i'm not very confident it might happen anytime soon...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Philippe

Yes, wise. Most probably not in their priority list :-/

• Like Like x 1
  8. ehdyn

ehdyn NI Product Owner

I noticed when I use MC to drive Polycomb it seems to interact somehow.. as if the audio engine in the former upsets the latter..
    The Polycomb LFO's are great because they give access to so many parameters you don't usually find.

Amazing work BTW.. love how you're constantly iterating and not afraid to experiment with the audience present.. very inspiring - been tuning in to the Twitch as well once in awhile.. excited to see how that evolves. It's funny when you see music reduced like that - it's easier to imagine ways to make it more sophisticated rather than just thinking about it abstractly.. or even just altering the speed that data gets read in or having multiple playheads with minds of their own.

I've been dreaming about an update to MC for awhile.. maybe a slower wave function that triggers one shot waves below.. or maybe 4 MC's arranged in quadrants.. or a sequencer where every step is an MC wave but in different synced positions constantly changing.. need to try to play with it some more. Never easy to modify someone elses stuff tho.

• Like Like x 2
  9. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Hi.. thank for the response. I'm ok with that. At least I can stop looking to get i t synced. Great tool. I really like MC.