1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Moving NI VSTs on Mac OS breaks Komplete Kontrol browser, despite rescan.

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by ewbst, Apr 7, 2020.

1. ewbst

ewbst NI Product Owner

- Mac OS Catalina
    - Komplete Ultimate 11
    - Everything was working perfectly
    - Ableton Live's plug-in directory is an unsorted mess.
    - I reorganized the system VST directory (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST) to contain manufacturer sub-folders.
    - Open Ableton Live, rescan plugins, all are working as expected. Close Ableton Live.

- Open Komplete Kontrol standalone, rescan plugins.
    - All plugins (1st and 3rd party) are present / check-marked in Preferences/Plug-ins/Manager.
    - Try loading various 3rd party VSTs in Komplete Kontrol: success.
    - Try loading any Native Instrument VST in Komplete Kontrol: "Could not load Plug-in."
    - Interestingly, if you try loading a Native Instruments VST via the "Instruments" menu, or the Plug-in Chain [+] option, it *will* load... but preset functionality is broken.

I tried deleting the database files in User/Username/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Komplete Kontrol and rescanning - no change.

As a sanity check, I dragged Battery from /VST/Native Instruments back to the default /VST directory and rescanned - it loaded fine.

Clearly, despite all efforts, Komplete Kontrol's browser is trying to reference Native Instruments VSTs (and ONLY Native Instruments VSTs) in the base /VST directory, ignoring the directory it actually found them in.

I would consider this a glitch, no? Is there a workaround?

I thought I might try keeping all plugins in the default /VST directly, while pointing Ableton to a custom folder of symlinks.... but various plugins don't seem to like this arrangement.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. ewbst

ewbst NI Product Owner

Further example of glitchy behavior:

- Move a *COPY* of any Native Instrument plugin to a random, new directory. For example, copy the Battery 4 plugin to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Example, leaving the original Battery 4 in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins//VST
    - In Komplete Kontrol, in Preferences/Plug-ins/Manager, remove all plugin directories and add /VST/Example.
    - Rescan. Komplete Kontrol will only find Battery 4 in the /VST/Example directory.
    - Load Battery 4 - it works as usual.
    - Delete the Battery 4 plugin from /VST (NOT from /VST/Example, which is what KK says we are using).
    - Load Battery 4 - "Could not load Plug-in."

As demonstrated, the browser is always looking in /VST for Native Instruments plugins.

3. pranaearth

pranaearth NI Product Owner

I was under the impression that you leave the plug ins where the NI installer puts them, and then never move them. EVER.

4. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yeah NI does not like their plugins to be moved AT ALL. The paths to a lot of plugins are set when the plugin is installed and that path is used by KK to load the plugin. You would note in the Plugin list in KK that the factory plugins will still show the old path. YOu need to basically uninstall the plugins then set the new path in Native Access and on Mac, no sub folders, just install to VST\Native Instruments

Windows users (as usual) have more flexibility in they have the NI Plugin Tool (or whatever it is called) which is able to easily change the paths to moved plugins so we can move things into sub folders and update the registry easily with the new paths. Users in the know can do this anyway using registry edits (and some XML files) and Mac users can probably muck around with .plist files to do the same, but no tool exists as far as im aware.

5. ewbst

ewbst NI Product Owner

Yup. Recently coming from Windows myself, and familiar with said tool.

I did poke around in a couple of plists, and rummaged through KK's SQL database, but I couldn't find anything useful.

Yeah... thus the rub: Native Access on Mac OS does not have an option for the VST installation directory... only for the standalone apps and libraries. This is the case for all manufacturers.

I managed to get Ableton Live working with a custom directory of symbolic links, so that I can keep all of my VSTs in the default folder. I suppose this will be better in the long term; it will allow plugins to be updated, without needing to migrate them from /VST each time.

6. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yep, that's Macs for ya.

It's a pro/con thing with the simplified way Macs approach the installation of most stuff. In one way, it is neat that programs are installed as simple containers with everything in a neat box, nothing installed in multiple locations like windows, simple to install and remove stuff. Seems great on the surface until you hit cases where you would like to do some custom management and moving some things... especially when it comes to the limitations of storage. Then it becomes a complicated mess. I believe the VST side of things is not designed to be managed at all by applications and is a fixed location which for programmers is great as you know where things will be installed, but of course it forgets how the user may want to work.

Probably just have to do what most users have to do on Mac and just deal with how it is. I have a macbook but only use it for testing and programming, just don't like how things like this are managed personally.