mp3 import please

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by gumbo23, Jan 12, 2016.

1. gumbo23

gumbo23 New Member

I thought this would be a basic feature, but looking over the threads it seems people have been asking for this for at least six years.

Some people argue against it, but they don't have to use it.

I add my request that this feature be incorporated, in order to save time.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. SlowwFloww

SlowwFloww Member

I want this too! I have a mp3 collection from over 100gb... Is it so hard to make it possible to import a mp3 instead of converting to wav/aiff everytime?
    Ableton imports mp3, flac and even a mp4 video file so you can use the audio..

3. J K

J K Active Member

2k16, u still use mp3?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SlowwFloww

SlowwFloww Member

I have a lot of music as mp3 file on my harddrive. What's wrong with mp3? The soundquality/disk space ratio is okay for me.
    Of course flac/wav/aiff is better quality but takes up a lot more (> 4x) space on my harddrive or mobile device...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. J K

J K Active Member

bc it is a lossy compression method which imho lost its right to exist long ago when storage was more expensive.
    why would i want to punish my ears, brain and productions just to save some cash.. makes no sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I agree with J K. mp3 is a dying breed particularly in the producer world. If you want to sample an MP3 in maschine, just use an external player and record via the sampler. No reason maschine needs to support MP3 format internally. I'd much prefer NI focus on other areas of development . supporting REX format would make more sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SlowwFloww

SlowwFloww Member

I know mp3 is not the best quality. But I have collected a lot of music over the years, almost 200gb.
    I don't have time to replace everything for flac files - some stuff isn't even available as flac/wav file.
    I just want to drop an mp3 onto a pad and use it - so what if it's not the best quality.

And for all the people that don't like to use mp3... well, don't use it. It's that simple..
    Ableton is a professional DAW.. why don't you tell them to get rid of the mp3 import function... Even free software can import mp3.. it seems like a simple thing to make this possible...

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I don't understand why you would need to drop an entire mp3 track into a pad. I suppose if you want to chop up numerous parts , it might be handy to have mp3 support in maschine, but I honestly don't see the need. That's what the sampler is for. I also don't want to bloat my maschine library with mp3, as its already bloated enough with wav. Ableton is indeed a DAW, but it has many other uses in the DJ world too, so I suspect that's why its supports mp3 natively. And of course freeware supports mp3 -- because its the "consumer" format, as ImNoDJ said. Most of the professionals I no avoid mp3 like the plague.

9. SlowwFloww

SlowwFloww Member

Thats fine with me. I just want to be able to use an mp3 audio file... without having to sample it or to convert it with another app... I just want to drag it onto a pad so I can edit the start/end point to get the part I need..

10. Wiggerwookie

Wiggerwookie New Member

Revolutionized my world. I've been converting files which takes no time but that's so much less time. Let's all just do this

11. Citipunk

Citipunk NI Product Owner

IMHO it would be a nice feature, and not only mp3-Import would be nice, also being completed with mp3-Export would be fine, without walking on devious routes like "wav->external software->mp3" ... forwards and backwards :)

I quite agree. If I were against all the things that don't make sense to me or i think they aren't useful for my kind of usage would mean
    bye bye to (put a large amount of Maschine tools and expansions at your own estimation in here), but there's no reason for me to badmouth them.

There are formats with better quality/"professionality" out there ? e.g. FLAC AIFF REX ... even WAV ...
    I also agree.

mp3 is a "consumer-format" ?
    ...o.m.g. next agreement, i sound like an apple-polisher :) ...
    but i don't see any disadvantage in being a consumer-format. Amongst other things it means, you can get it easily and almost everywhere, both in being a source for new sounds/material/inspiration you can use for yourself and being an opportunity to easily give Your own music back to the consumers.

.. and I don't want to belive that some well-known multimedia-seller would provide mp3-downloads if mp3 was a "dying breed", btw.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. lucaless

lucaless NI Product Owner

So what's the best file to import into Maschine 2? Just got the MK3 and realized no mp3 so Im just converting them in Logic aiff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gary Hall

Gary Hall New Member

Oh man....