1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

MPC SOFTWARE UPDATE fully compatible with NI Controllers

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by SupremeSoulstice, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BezowinZ

BezowinZ NI Product Owner

Am I missing something? Fully Compatible?

I can use my S49 to browse, tweak plugins settings & play. No transport control, no mixer control, no track selection... Instance selection works in MPC, didn't work in Logic. But I was expecting compatibility closer to what I get in Logic. No?

I recall reading about a template file for whichever controller is being used. Might that be what I need, or is this just inflated marketing?

2. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

The kk s49 mk1 is pre mapped for basic control, and the mpc software has persistent midi learn mode so you can map knobs and buttons to selected controls. Mk1 a bit different from mk2, so be aware of that issue. Also, not a deep control setup like the kk2p mk2 has with logic x, which i am also using. Nowhere does n.i. or akai claim complete compatibility....that was the boastful title of the original poster, and nothing official.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

It wasn't a boastful title by me.. It was literally a copy and pasted title.. Anyway, MPC 2.3 just came out and it's a huge update.. Synths have been added and an auto sampler option enabling you to copy any vets and analog synths and have them stored as key groups in standalone mode. I miss my Maschine Studio less and less.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Auto sampler option to build an instrument in standalone mode? Can it sample round robin or velocity layers?? If yes, it must eat a huge chunk of the memory...if no, then it's a worthless feature

5. SupremeSoulstice

Round Robin is there.. setting velocity layers is possible. I've noticed no huge surge in cpu in regarding anything I do in the box. Being able to sample audio outputs of your favorite vst, or analog synth is crazy. You can literally leave all your gear and have access to all your favorite sounds in the box. Worthless feature? You're bugging.. That was just a small fraction of what was offered in this update too. Hard to speak on something you've never touched.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Autosampler is a great feature for thise who need it. And huge chunk of memory is relative term. Even if it used 1gb of RAM, most machines for musicians can handle it.

I still use the orig Auto Sampler software that Apple bought and rolled simple version into mainstage. Works amazing.

I will be trying the Akai version this weekend. Of course, it will likely be intended to make Akai compatible instruments vs say kontakt instruments.

7. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Hard to speak on something I've never touched?? Auto sampling VST's is hardly anything new. So the MPC can do what programs like Sample Robot or Maize has been doing for about 10 years.

Yea it's neat you can load some of your favorite patches in standalone mode. You can sample your favorite patches with many programs...this is just another thinly veiled "MPC is better because it's standalone" play.

8. SupremeSoulstice

Can Maschine do it? We on 2.3 and already Akai is shitting on the comp.. I get you invested like I did. My money is on whoever delivers.. Akai winning right now. Hate it or love it...

9. SupremeSoulstice

Oh.. and MPC is better.. I don’t need a laptop for live performances. Duh factor on 1000

10. omegatron

omegatron NI Product Owner

Gotta say this is edging me ever closer to pulling the trigger on a live, I'm not getting into the whole my dad's bigger than yours argument but it hard to deny that the development cycle on the MPC is moving at a much better rate than maschine.

11. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

IMHO, it's a compromise for not being able to host VST's in standalone mode.

Anybody who, for example, has owned a hardware synth knows that the Kontakt library counterpart for any of those synths are not the same. This is doubly true for someone who can actually program one.

The same holds true for VST's....

12. bobbyduracel

bobbyduracel NI Product Owner

This update is nice for me personally, because I stil own the entire suite which comes with the MPC Live units - only now it's not software I will rarely open. Suddenly it's more accessible, and perhaps I will revisit old projects. Nice work, Akai!

13. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

It depends on what you want. You want real hardware synths and soft synth level manipulation in a song? or even Kontakt level realism? Your'e not getting it out of the EXSMKII, Ableton's Sampler, or the MPC sampler. It has four layers, good enough for old school style sampling, which is what I'm using it for and will be using it for. 90% of the samples and synths in any given song I write are simple, straightforward backup tracks for whatever melodic lead or solo is going on.
    I don't get people who buy Maschine, an MPC or some other pattern based sequencer, then expect to write symphonies on it? that's what DP, Reaper, Cubase, Logic etc. are for. I'll be honest, I never jibbed with Maschine as a sample mangler. I've used Ableton Live for years, and it definitely feels like a sample mangler, so does the MPC.
    It's also a way to import closed wall drum banks into the MPC.
    Hello Maschine Expansion library. :cool:

14. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

Oh, and this is how I plan on using the MPC Live, as a live device. In the studio, I'll use it as a VSTi in Reaper primarily, then export stems into the hardware along with the MPC 'song' from the VSTi. Mostly I play guitar live, so on the rare times I want to play keys the new synths will do. I also like the idea of having two sources for the songs, a laptop and the MPC. Anyway, at a few hundred more for MPC Live, with it being a soundcard, holding a SSD, drum pads, two MIDI in/outs etc. it covers a lot of bases. I need those things since Rig Kontrol kicked the bucket. I dunno? so far I'm liking it a lot more than you're hating it. :D

15. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Expansion always just had the .wav's in the folder structure, so you could always load them on MPC, or any other sampler for that matter :)

16. omegatron

omegatron NI Product Owner

So I got my mpc touch in the post yeaterday, had a limited amount of time with it but there's a lot to like about it imho, workflow wise it's not as difficult as it's made out to be just different, just as fun to knock ideas up with as maschine, if you can pick one up for a decent price like I did I would say do it..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Doomoutlet

Doomoutlet NI Product Owner

I bought the MPC 2.3 software. Be warned, they skipped the auto-template for MK2. Apparently MK1 and MK3 (as well as other models) will auto map. However, that is not the case for MK2. Essentially I have "Midi Learn" manually and possible create a controller editor template.

18. bojanboyss

bojanboyss New Member

I was frustrated too that mk2 wasnt included, waited for months and nothing. So... I loaded both files for mk1 into notepad++ (I think its the most similar to mk2), compared to other template files and made changes to just first few lines in controller editor template. Renamed files like if we had provided those by Akai (mk1->mk2). Most stuff worked. Did a lot minor tweaks. Still swing does nothing, overdub is on solo button (it didnt have it at all) etc. Feel free to further customize. In general... almost there. Works.
    Note: if you look at MPCHardwareSetupGuide1.1.pdf , page 32 for MK1, almost all is set up that way + some more like for mk3 (page 33) q-link knob modes are same as here... + few extra buttons that were off.
    Place provided 2 files where they belong, load into Controller Editor and in MPC and you should have MPC Maschine mk2 template

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Doomoutlet

Doomoutlet NI Product Owner

You're a lifesaver. I bought an mpc 2.3 authentication code off Ebay. It worked but when I dl'ed and installed the software there were no Controll editor files. Where did you get them? A previous version? It's so bizarre that they skipped Mk2.

I talked to also tech support twice through chat about the controller editor files but they were no help. I'm waiting for a callback from Also tech support as I suspect their chat support is third party. I also read that in that manual and even cited it to tech support. I believe they said that file wasn't necessary in the newest version. Total BS.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. bojanboyss

bojanboyss New Member

• Like Like x 1