Multiple instances crashing both sonar X series and platinum

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by wizard71, Feb 1, 2015.

1. wizard71

wizard71 New Member

Hi , Long term problem here.
    I use a roland octa capture with sonar on a pc running win x64 8.1 i7 and 32gig ram with kontakt samples on an ssd. All 64 bit plugins versions etc
    I have been using LA scoring strings with a section loaded to an instance of Kontakt (5 instances)
    If i use the asio drivers then i always get a crash on project load of system32/rda1110.dll unless i have frozen all kontakt instances apart from one.
    If i use the WDM/KS drivers i dont get this crash on project load up.
    but, If I then add certain VST's after loading ie slate fg-x then even with the WDM drivers sonar stops responding and crashes sonarplt.exe
    This is guaranteed to happen 100% of the time
    Sonar have inspected the crash log and it obviously points to the roland asio driver, but roland have been most unhelpful with the issue.
    The only common aspect in everything listed is Kontakt. Without this loaded, or if the instances are frozen then i have zero issues.
    All items have latest versions/drivers installed.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Many thanks

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

There was a fix for crashes with Roland Quad Capture ASIO drivers in Kontakt 5.4.3. So if you don't have this version, update.

3. wizard71

wizard71 New Member

Hi, thanks for reply but the octa capture drivers seem to be different from the quad capture ones so this doesnt apply to me, or at least if it does, it hasnt worked. I am using the latest version of kontakt though.

4. EvilDragon

Contact NI then... Double-check you're using 5.4.3, though, by clicking the KONTAKT logo in upper left when you open it in your DAW.

5. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

Tweak your Multiprocessor support settings. In the Multiprocessor support section you can adjust the number of cores you wish to use with KONTAKT. You can select any number of cores to use, from one to the maximum number of cores available on your computer.
    [​IMG]
    If you are running several instances of KONTAKT in your host project, you will probably acquire a better performance if you reduce the number of multiprocessor cores slightly. You may even achieve a better performance by turning the multiprocessor support off completely inside Kontakt and allowing your host sequencer to manage the multiprocessing instead.

This is also dependent on which host sequencer you are running, they all manage multiprocessor support in a different way. Don't be confused if the CPU or system usage monitor of your sequencer does not reflect the multiprocessing of KONTAKT - it is not transparent to the sequencer.

Best Regards
    Freddie

6. wizard71

wizard71 New Member

Yes I did that yesterday so hopefully it can be resolved. Im running 5.4.3.307 import version 3.1.0.4

7. wizard71

wizard71 New Member

Hi Freddie, thanks for your input, I have tried all combinations of multiprocessor support alas with no joy. Seems to be the relationship between the octa capture, sonar and kontakt with LA scoring strings loaded. I dont have another sound card to try unfortunately.

8. EvilDragon

Can you try a different DAW?

9. wizard71

wizard71 New Member

Good idea, I have just tried reaper and get exactly the same behaviour. Interesting.

10. EvilDragon

OK so it's the ASIO driver misbehaving with Kontakt, not the DAW.

11. William98

William98 Member

Or, as viewing cakewalk forum, steinberg forum, and this forum: something is trying to use a 32 bit program/plug-in in the 64 bit environment.

12. EvilDragon

Does Sonar have a built-in bit bridge? If so, there should be a way to know when a plugin you're loading is being bridged...

Try and search your system for Kontakt 5.dll. You will find two of them. The smaller one file size-wise is the 32-bit one. Delete it. See how it goes.