1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple Patterns (sequentially) Per Scene...

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Mr36, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Allow multiple Patterns per Scene for easier variation/fills.

Enabling a "multi" feature when selecting Patterns would allow multiple Patterns to be inserted into the current Scene according to the order of selection.

For example
    * holding PATTERN, enabling "multi", and tapping pads corresponding to Pattern 1, Pattern 4, Pattern 5, then Pattern 7 would insert those Patterns in that order
    * holding PATTERN, enabling "multi", and tapping pads corresponding to Pattern 1 three times, then Pattern 7 would create a Scene where Pattern 1 plays three times and then Pattern 7 plays

Disabling multi when multiple Patterns have been selected selects the first Pattern, but remembers the multiple Pattern state, which is returned when enabling multi again, though tapping pads when multi is enabled overrides and begins the multi-Pattern Scene creation again.

An additional option in multi-Pattern mode could be a "blank" Pattern-space with variable length, though the offset parameter could also serve this function.

• Like Like x 15
  2. FrankieFilth

FrankieFilth NI Product Owner

:thumbsup: x 101

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexmci

Alexmci NI Product Owner

This would be awesome

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. TheAndroid

TheAndroid NI Product Owner

5. nutterwithbutter

nutterwithbutter New Member

About two years ago I got a Maschine Mk2 during an NI sale and then sold it when I realized you could not put two different patterns into one scene. I tried loads of work around (manual copy paste into a longer pattern or midi out to ableton, append the midi in ableton and then drag back in) but I couldn't bear the slow workflow. Saw the Mk3 and fell in love with the marketing - but appears that this feature is still on the request list 6 years on. Once it is implemented I'll buy it again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

This feature is mandatory when it comes to plays keys and instruments in order to ease the maintainability of the patterns, actually the only workaround is to duplicate or use one instrument per group: it is a waste.

7. bsopes

bsopes New Member

+1 As well

The limitations this would remove would be mind boggling

8. Danijel Savic

Danijel Savic New Member

Sounds as a cool feature. We need the ability to have the patterns in groups arranged independently from the longest clip in the scene anyway.

9. noisyvagabond

noisyvagabond NI Product Owner

I can understand why it works the way it does currently but it would be lovely to have an option simply to assign patterns into slots in the arrangement window rather than having to work in scenes. I ran across a problem when having a longer 16 bar pattern. When I inserted it into a scene it copied the initial patterns of the other groups into scene but repeated the initial pattern. If i want to variate the three subsequent patterns it seems they are locked into the initial pattern. I was forced to break the 16 bar pattern into 4 bar segments in order to variate the other patterns which just feels tedious and counter intuitive. other than that, i'm loving everything about maschine thus far! so it's a minor problem and i can definitely work around it, it just seems like it would be nice to have an option to work with the patterns directly rather than being locked in like that.

10. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Sounds to me like multiple Patterns per Scene and an offset parameter for Patterns and Sounds (at least) would solve this and a number of other arranging hurdles, all fully controllable via hardware.

11. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

12. noisyvagabond

noisyvagabond NI Product Owner

ok, from the image D-One posted I can see that basically my needs from what I'm asking would be largely satisfied with that update. I guess the only real difference from what I'm asking for is being able to arrange patterns completely outside of the confines of scenes. Like, literally placing patterns independently into the arrangement windows (something like a 'pattern mode') but again, the above screenshot looks a lot like what i'm wanting to do, so merge away!

13. ericlouis

ericlouis New Member

This would be dope. I know NI won't ditch patterns and scenes but if scenes could be flexible in that they allow for more than 1 pattern per scene and don't automatically fix lengths to that of the longest pattern. Also for this to work well, pattern lengths can't be static. For example, pattern 1 is 8 bars long I'd like to be able to use it for 4 bars in Scene 1 and for 8 bars in a different scene. So basically if I make this pattern shorter in Scene 1 doing so won't affect where pattern 1 is used elsewhere in the song.

14. carvingcode

carvingcode NI Product Owner

If I understand what you are asking, ericlpuis, you can do this now. Just change the length of a scene. I was doing this last evening in the software. Drag the scene length to what you need. You can lengthen or shorten.

15. ericlouis

ericlouis New Member

True, I guess what I really want is better stated as "Multiple Patterns" per scene.

16. carvingcode

carvingcode NI Product Owner

Probably just need to build multiple scenes with the patterns and pattern lengths you need. Simple.

17. ericlouis

ericlouis New Member

not that simple, the way it is forces users to make more scenes than are actually needed.

For example I do techno/club. Let's say my intro is about a minute long which is 32 bars and I want to start a hi hat pattern on bar 17. To do this I have to make another scene. One for bars 1-17 (Scene 1) and another for bars 17-32 (scene 2) The hi hat pattern starts on bar 17 or "scene 2."

It appears this is on the Major Feature request list so a lot of people want it. I'm just adding my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tim Verberne

Tim Verberne NI Product Owner

Please add this! I have been waiting for this song-layer mode forever. This seems to be kinda the same idea. +1

19. Tom Burnell

Tom Burnell NI Product Owner

20. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Suggestion added to the Top Requested Features sticky thread.