My A&H Xone 1D Traktor Template and Map

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by Ryan0751, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan0751

Ryan0751 NI Product Owner

Description:
    I recently purchased an Allen and Heath Xone 1D MIDI controller for use with my Traktor Scratch/Traktor Studio setup. Since I mix using an external mixer, and use Traktor with timecode on my 1200's and CDJ's, I only wanted a MIDI controller to handle effects, looping, beat jumping, etc.

The layout of the Xone 1D is actually quite good for this purpose, so I figured I'd share my MIDI mappings and overlay. The Xone 1D does not come with any overlays, but you can download an Adobe Illustrator template from the http://www.xone.co.uk website.

The only caveat is that the template is larger than a typical letter size sheet of paper, so you'll either have to print it in two halves or have it printed on a large format printer. You'll then also have to cut out all of the holes for the buttons, knobs and sliders using an XActo knife or similar. It's tedious but doable. In my case, I printed to a sheet of inkjet printable overhead projector transparency (plastic sheet). I also printed it in reverse, such than when I put it on the Xone the ink side is face down (since the ink will smudge it if gets wet at all).

Usage:
    Set the Xone 1D to "map 1" using the directions provided with the unit. As far as I can tell this just sets the buttons at the bottom to "always on" versus "toggle the light". Leave the control on the default MIDI channel of 16.

To try out the template, you just open the Traktor preferences window, and open the MIDI settings section. Ensure that the Xone is enabled as an input MIDI controller, and use the "save" button to backup any existing MIDI mappings you are using. Then just "load" the .tks file below.

The overlay is color coded as follows:
    • Things in white effect a deck directly, like the FX knobs and sliders... there is a row for each deck, A-D.
    • Green indicates that a control applies to the currently focused deck. The focus is controlled by the four large push buttons at the bottom. So if deck C were selected, for example, the loop and jump buttons would apply to deck C only.
    • Orange indicates controls enabled by using the "shift" button (next to the jog wheel). The shift button needs to be held for the shift controls to work.
    The shift knob also acts as a way to navigate the tree (on the left) for switching playlists and such. The jog wheel allows you to browse all your tracks, and load them onto the four decks.

Using the shift and jog, you can scroll through a track previewing it, and set a cue point if you like. If you switch the deck to relative mode, and drop the needle anywhere after the lead-in on the timecode, you can start your track right at the cue point,

PDF of Overlay (actual size for printing):
    http://www.ryanruel.com/pics/XONE1D_RYAN.pdf

Traktor Map File (.tks file, right click, save as...):
    http://www.ryanruel.com/pics/XONE1D_RYAN.tks

2. TJaden

TJaden New Member

mate

not normally one to sing glowing praises, but that's dope.

been on the brink of purchasing a xone 1d (to use in conjunction with 2*1200's and 1*cdj) for a while now. waiting for more feedback.

how is it working out?

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

thx for sharing this! :)

4. Ryan0751

It's working out very well, plug and play :)

5. Sub Brit

Sub Brit NI Product Owner

Very nice overlay, looks like a great way of doing it. I was after a faderfox dx2 but tis could swing me to buying a 1d. I believe they are about the same price in the uk and it would sit nicely with my xone 92.

nice one for posting here!

6. Ryan0751

7. detox10002

detox10002 New Member

Allen & Heath 2d

Hi ive decided i want to by a midi controller for my xone 92...i see you talking about the 1D. and you all seem to like it ...what is the difference between the the 1D and 2D ...Im using traktor scratch....ive been offered a really good price on the 2D ...would it benefit me more to buy the 2D :cool:

8. Ryan0751

Define "good price"? :) The 2D is normally priced twice as much as the 1D... basically what it includes are the integrated soundcard, one more row of "master" MIDI controls, a BPM detection engine (converting to MIDI clock the detected input signal), and a headphone pre-amp.

For pure Traktor Scratch usage, all of those features would really go to waste... the soundcard wouldn't serve any purpose with Traktor Scratch.

9. TJaden

TJaden New Member

heya ryan0751/all

proud owner of a new xone 1d i am. went down to the local dj store to haggle down the price, but it was already reduced to below what i was willing to pay. $600aud (~$550 USD).

my thoughts:
    a) annoying that there are only 2 rotary pots per column/channel. really should be 3.
    b) top row of pots, infinite rather than 0-127, are convenient for choosing effects, loop sizes etc.
    c) faders very smooth
    d) jog wheel annoying because it doesn't click each movement. almost too smooth
    e) feels like a lot of coin for essentially a very simple device.

complaints aside, it's built solidly. should be resistant to wear and tear. i'll rock it out at a gig and tell you how it goes.

quick question ryan/all else:
    if i'm using 2 turntables via traktor vinyl, i can't figure out how to assign any of the cue points to a midi button, and to globally punch them in at call on the 3rd channel. ie. have 4 cue points per loaded track (eg. loop 1, loop 2, snare 3, kick drum4) and assign each cue to a midi button to punch in?

do i just need to 'read the manual?' i can punch in a cue, but only 1, not the other 3.

effectively, i'd like to have a track play on record on channel 1, and hot cue in beats 1/2/3/4 from a bar on chan 2.

on the 3rd channel? i can punch in a loop from the cue'd point, but the cue list has 4 hotcues. can i assign a cue point to a midi button and punch in any one of the four possible cue points per track?

10. ahbf09

ahbf09 NI Product Owner

Nice work,
    thx for sharing :)

(maybe some colour or picture in the background ... ;) )

next weeks i´ll post "my" overlay (using T3.3 with 2 Mks,1D,external Mixxer+Trakker)

///

"Map 1 Traktor , Map 2 Ableton and default" .... why ? :confused:

11. t.i.m.

t.i.m. NI Product Owner

Hey!

I have a question about this.

Yesterday I got myself a 1D too and i'm slightly happy with it. But some things make me wonder.

When connecting the 1D via USB to my Macboob Pro, everything works fine. Testing the MIDI functionality with Apple Software works.

But Traktor will only accept MIDI if a MIDI cable is connected to the Audio8. Is that correct?

I'm pretty new to MIDI, I bought myself a Faderfox before, which had a .tks with it that fitted out perfectly for me. That's the reason I never configured MIDI by myself.

I'm testing your .tks in a minute to see if it works out nicely.

12. ahbf09

ahbf09 NI Product Owner

Audio8 <-> Midi in/out <-> 1D

Audio8 USB & 1D USB -> PC/Mac

Traktor settings : Midi in/out Audio 8

13. t.i.m.

t.i.m. NI Product Owner

Thats what I had! But that didn't work out correct. Now it works with only the 1D connected via USB tm the Mac.

Works fine so far!

14. Ryan0751

You don't need to use the audio 8's MIDI input if you don't want to, just use the USB (you need it for power anyway) on the 1D. Traktor can use multiple midi controllers, no problem.

15. surferrosa

surferrosa NI Product Owner

Hi there. I have traktor 3 running fine with my laptop hooked up to a Mackie d4 running 2 decks with Tracktor and 2 decks with my CDJ 800s. I dont want to have to use mouse /keyboard and wonder if anyone has thoughts on whether I should go the Scratch route which i think would leave me using laptop for effects etc or get a VCI 100 or Xone 1d and stay with Traktor 3. Can't afford both Scratch and a controller at moment! Any thoughts gratefully appreciated . Rob

16. oakstream

oakstream NI Product Owner

Hi Ryan0751!

Thanx for sharing this awesome template and map, I really like it the way you've designed it.

Keep up the good work!

17. Ryan0751

18. Macaque

Macaque New Member

Nice map, I'll try it sometime. Thanks for sharing it! The .tks on the Xone 1D website isn't very good for TS users....

19. MrVl

MrVl New Member

Hi Ryan, first of all, thanks for sharing this material; it looks great!

Now I'm running into a problem within TS, which is that even though it appears to be set up correctly and I can load your .tks file no problem, TS doesn't respond to any of the programmed commands. However, when I set it to learn and 'manually' input everything, it does...

Would you know why this is happening and what I can do to solve this?

Cheers! :)

20. oakstream

oakstream NI Product Owner

Check that you have setup the Xone:1D with the correct midi Map (Map 1 for Traktor) and the Midi Channel number set to 16.

/oakstream

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.