1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

N.I ..Any update on the progress of Traktor DJ 2 ?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ 2' started by Demus, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Demus

Demus NI Product Owner

Traktor DJ 2 development has come to a halt... almost 4 months now since the last update :eek: the forum for it has also been suspended for awhile now. No response from Native Instruments at all. I know that Traktor Pro 3 has been the focus lately and have seen a lot of great update lately. But this is what I am look forward to, the development of Traktor DJ 2. I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumors going around about Traktor division being sold or shopped around..?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

It is interesting theme for me too

I do not have a deep understanding of how programs are written, but I always doubted the idea that DJ 2 would replace Pro 3. It seems to me architecturally there are ways to gradually rewrite the Traktor Pro 3

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Could it be but hardly possible. TP3 was near its end of life and TDJ2 being universal app has more chances to be the new Traktor. ARMacs are probably the last nail in its coffin...

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. kokernutz

kokernutz NI Product Owner

If NI is using Xcode to compile Traktor for macOS and it is written in C++ without any Intel low-level code, then NI should be able to compile to ARM without any huge amount of effort. (Apple says a few days of work.)

I'm sure NI already has one of the ARM Mac dev kits from Apple and are working on it. (Please don't prove me wrong.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

NI must have these of course but, after testing the code, they will figure out were to put "the eggs" (even for Maschine...)
    If you want to keep the hope TP3 is going to be further development is up to you of course ;)

BTW Ditching it shouldn't mean "bye bye pro features". The strategy is (was?) improve TDJ2 to get the proper features from TP3 and meanwhile users keep going with TP3... it's common sense but also is common sense to switch as far as users get "the trick" or start demand for features etc... Get rid of DVS (which probably is over the table due the historic problems like N2it lawsuit license extra costs) will be a controversial point even if digitalised turntables (and Phase-like technologies) become an standard. Djing is still a realm for romantic people... :rolleyes: but as time goes new djing forms (derived by Ableton proposal) are gaining users meanwhile romantic people will keep their turntables as part of it's inner id. NI proved to go step forward with Remix decks first and S8 and stems later but we know how that history ended... (or not?)

NI wasn't wrong... just too futuristic for their target market.

So, instead of expecting TP3 being eternal, which features you miss from it that could be nice to port into TDJ2?
    That question alongside how djing had evolve and is evolving should draw a roadmap. Fast changes (implement spleeter stems to fight algoriddim/Vdj) will mean "dirty code" (the same issue with TP3 it seems) and slow changes (get too late that spleeter technology) will mean... Serato (lol).

The good side is... we approaching Apple releases and that will clear what's truly going on...

6. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

7. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I ask him at IG and he’s still working at NI. I asked him to join us or send someone from the Traktor dj 2 representative. Let’s hope someone come and explain us what they can...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I’m looking to see if the iOS app will eventually open up for other audio interfaces.

9. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

iOS app should work with any class compliant audio device. Open midi support or make their controllers class compliant will be awesome IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

6BC811F2-1003-4794-911E-FE8E22235638.jpeg This app needs more attention. I even applied to be a beta tester and never heard anything more about it.

The app needs,

Cruise mode

Effects from Tpro such as “wormhole” for example.

Music management

Ability to midi map and use other audio interfaces.

The app is not bad but there is nothing that would want make a person trying it out to stick with it. This will be my setup for live streaming until I find an appropriate controller for for my main app djpp.

Kontrol s2mk2, IPad Air (a13), Gopro hero 8 and a mic with a boss effector plugged in to the s2. It’s not bad but also not ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

YES .. my top one wish is included in your list: ability to midi map non NI controller :thumbsup::) !!

.. and we need a meta data sync between TDJ2 and TP (or in first step at least a one way import of Traktor Pro or TDJ1 metadata !!), i would never jump over in productive to TDJ2 as long i can not import grid and hotcue data of my thousands of songs

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pedram @ NI

Pedram @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi all, thanks for reaching out!
    My name is Pedram and I lead TRAKTOR. I’m posting here today on behalf of the whole team.

We really appreciate your feedback and questions on this topic. Please rest assured that we are working hard on the future of TRAKTOR.

Our main focus right now is the development and next major update of TRAKTOR PRO, which will combine efforts and learnings from TRAKTOR DJ and TRAKTOR PRO 3.

We want to work together with you on this next big release, so in the coming days we will be posting a survey to gather all of your feedback and requests.

In the meantime, regarding Apple’s new line of ARM processors, we will soon be releasing TRAKTOR PRO 3.4.1. This update will ensure full compatibility with both macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon M1 computers. Feel free to download the beta version here.

Stay tuned for more TRAKTOR PRO 3 updates in the coming months.

Thanks again for all your questions. We truly appreciate your commitment to TRAKTOR - take care and keep the music going!

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Thanks for join us Pedram!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

Thanks for joinining us Pedram.
    Can I suggest you comment on the main traktor forum?
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/a-message-from-the-makers-of-traktor.378061/

Thanks for confirming this.

I believe the quickest stuff to deliver is simply moving stuff around in the codebase.
    Best example is having any macroFX inside MixerFX, and vice-versa.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/access-all-tp2-macrofx-as-tp3-mixerfx-as-is.433417/

What do you think of this?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

One can imagine a Traktor pro 3 iPad app if one were to believe apple’s goal of cross compatibility in their ecosystem.

Who knows.

I can make a solid prediction for how parties will be like this year. Portable gear and software combo to be used outdoors.

There’s a new underground movement because of the times we are in now. The needs for this movement are a little bit different than what is standard.

I would love to share with Ni my findings, what I learned, how I adapted and found a way. But in private ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

honestly you lot will believe anything

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Well at least we know a Traktor Pro update is coming and a survey is a good start for future development.

The world of dj’n has changed both in tech and now the environment. You’re either gonna be stuck at home live-streaming or doing some type of outdoor gig. What is sad is that these surveys are gonna give so much inaccurate info because people are stuck in a normalcy bias. The club gig’n scene is in purgatory but all I’m gonna read is how this x&y feature is good for clubs and creativity.

The real question is how is Traktor gonna help out of work djs get working? You can’t generate income from broke customers.

it will be interesting to see what comes from it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

TBH in my mind almost all the the DJ product market is, just like guitars in the past, aimed at aspiring hobbyist and bedroom-DJ's. All those controllers etc. This is a huge market, much bigger than the "pro DJ" market which is cornered by Pioneer anyway.

Regarding the (semi)pro market: Traktor has some followers, and was big at a certain time, mainly due to it's DVS implementation. But then Serato came along and the DVS market shifted away. Now Traktor is mainly used in the techno scene because of the multiple decks and fx's power. Lack of innovation in the Traktor software department, and a certain "no jogwheels" vision in the hardware series, created this reduction to a certain "techno niche".

The only way for NI to become competitive again with Traktor is to deliver a really unique combination of hardware-controller and the corresponding software, for a price-point that is competitive against Pioneer+RB and the other alternatives outdoor for the aspiring bedroom DJ. This is where the huge market (TAM) lies, not the pro's. As you correctly assess, the "pro DJ" market is decimated and destroyed by Corona. I know a few professional DJ's that are not the top-1 tier, and all of them are re-educating themselves into different jobs, money has to be earned.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Here is what I see. Pioneer is the only company to produce mixers that can bring together all software. Pioneer and Serato are competitors but still can work hand in hand.

Traktor dipped it’s toes into serato’s water with the original kx1 and it became one of their best selling products at the time.

Now with these two points one could develop a strategy and here is a proposal.

#1. Mapping support for all pioneer mixers

#2. Make a jogwheel controller add on and work with pioneer and serato to support it.

The goal is now how to achieve parity for the traktor user base.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

That train departured long ago...

Whatever Traktor will bring in the future should adjust itself into that future. NI tried to build “the future” and failed many times in the last 5 years. First success in long time has been M+ (and I hope it keeps the cruise speed...) but Apple Silicon disruption can be thefinal nail in the coffin for some x86 based development. NI got the money but there’s still some menaces and challenges to climb.

If djing is reshaping itself, lets hope there’s a market for brands (aside Denon and Pioneer)

• Like Like x 2