1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

NAMM Appetizer

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by DJ Freshfluke, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

That would be wild – but I actually like the idea of just one vinyl controlling all 4 decks better. You could launch the new track with the record, pitch bend it or sync it with the master, and then switch focus and use the vinyl on the next ‘deck’.

I’m not sure you can do that on this unit, but it looks like you can enable / disable time code control for channels A and B. C and D seem set for outputs 5-6 and 7-8, but A and B look to me if you can choose between vinyl and CD.

I wonder if you will be able to control more than one deck with a single turntable? Anyone any thoughts on this?

2. krugger

krugger Forum Member

At one point I thought the same person was asking the questions and giving the answers

until...

I realised my occasional dyslexia was making 'djdrixx' and 'djdivide' look the same name to me!!!

You guys should not talk to each other - It f*cks up me-eyes!!!

3. djdivide

Brilliant!

4. imianwilliams

imianwilliams NI Product Owner

I think I better wait another week, before I decide what soundcard I want to buy!

5. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

I can use 1 turntable to control 3 deck outputs already with my current T3.2 / FS 2 system. I mean, how often would you use a fourth deck? But yeah I agree it looks like a 4 input/4 output (all stereo) controller/card/dvs interface. And I agree it looks to be USB2 which makes sense as this protocol has speeds up to 480 MBits/second which is faster than firewire 400.

I'm betting they are going to call it the Kontrol 4.

6. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

hmmm....a grounding post looks promising. and a pull out umbrella, sweet.

7. djdivide

This is true, the whole point of DVS is to reduce the amount of equipment!

I like using just a controller and Traktor at the moment, having moved away from Final Scratch this winter. It’s just more compact and easier to set up etc.

The idea of an all-in-one, Traktor specific unit appeals so long as you can buy just the hardware if needs be. I should imagine that it’ll be bundled with TDJS and timecode vinyl which will drive the price up.

I hope I’m wrong on this!

8. Charles Felicio

Charles Felicio NI Product Owner

WAAAAAAAAAHH!!

Where are you, 18th?

Goddamnit, never anticipated too much

9. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I can't say you are right, but your analysis makes good sense... Get that man a prize... How about a 6 pack of Warsteiner and some nice comfy lap dancers?

Phil

10. PhilL

On paper yes, but in reality they are comparable. USB does better with intermittent smaller blocks of data and Firewire deals better with large volumes of continuous data. Timecode is in the middle of those two. Its low volume continuous data but its very very sensitive to delays so your computer system as a whole has to be clean and efficient.

Phil

11. djdivide

Ah, but can you say I’m wrong??!!

Only kidding…but are there any other snippets of info that can be gleaned? Go on, you know you want to…

After NAMM, will we be calling the Vestax VCI-100 and the NI soundcard the ultimate Traktor setup?

Thanks for the dancers...

12. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

We should start building a recommended USB adapter list asap.

I just threw in the usb 2.0 pci adapted called the CV18 that originally came with my Shuttle XPC.

It uses the VIA VT6202 chipset, http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/peripherals/usb/vt6202/

The only difference is the CV18 is only a two port card instead of four.

13. Plutotype

Plutotype Forum Member

Hi djdivide,
    You think its not a controller? Its just timecode/soundcard like FS with 4xstereo?With no bugs in the interface? (-:

Plutotype

14. Play

Play NI Product Owner

It would be perfect timing for them to release a new soundcard for Traktor to retain the timecode features since the ScratchAmp is no longer usable.

15. MixMasterMark

MixMasterMark NI Product Owner

These people seem to think it's part of a "Full-On DJ System".

~ Mix Master Mark ~

16. PhilL

Jeez the wally fest over at Futuremusic continues seem not unlike 'in the absence of fact let make some sh!st up wonder where they got their full blown controller bit from? seems like it was not here.... Don't forget the post from Shaggy pointing us to the headline announcing NI had just updated Torq right before Xmas, consider their rep and their history before considering what they say as gospel..... 8 days to go....

FWIW I'm not shocked about a plethora of controllers being announced. I would say "its about dang time!!!"

Phil

17. djdivide

I’d say that it is just a soundcard, with maybe a few buttons, but these will more than likely be for input selection and output volume control.

I think this is the right way to go, as it a) leaves NI the option of developing a controller if needs be, and b) allows the unit to be dedicated to one task, which, IMHO, always produces the best results (think ‘separates’ HiFi for example).

All that said, it might have some of the functionality of the Audio Kontrol 1, which would make sense on the manufacturing side as they might share a cabinet and some internals.

This is all just pointless speculation of course, what ever it is might not be completely ground breaking, but it will no doubt be exactly what Traktor has been crying out for! Innovation should be encouraged with a creative medium like Djing, but not at the expense of getting the fundamentals right.

I for one hope that this unit can go the distance – I’d like to think that it will still be current in 4 years time. I’m pretty sure they’ll get this right!

18. chris_in_london

chris_in_london Forum Member

damn right! let's dump the vinyl - using a technics 1200/1210 for a control surface is daft (imo). time for new and better control surfaces. the new Vestax controller looks good, but it ain't right yet (not enough dedicated buttons for each channel or the FX paramters).

i'm hoping that feena's new machine (coming in the next quarter, by the sound of their recent mailout), will combine the functionality of their current unit with the better looks/feel of the new vestax dj controller, and perhaps some of the features that this new m-audio box of tricks look set to deliver.

19. JohnDP

JohnDP Forum Member

Chris Liebing stated in a Raveline interview a couple of months back that a full fledged NI DJ Controller was on its way, so it might very well be it...

20. bedward

bedward NI Product Owner

I'm with you in theory but the practicality is that in a standard DJ booth (where most venue designers like to skimp on space) there's rarely much room beyond the turntables and mixer, you're lucky to have space to set up a laptop, let alone a controller big enough to do the job properly. As a regular vinyl only user (for certain gigs) as well as a laptop DJ I wouldn't want places to get rid of the decks yet, consequently we're at a place where the old and new technology are getting in each others way. That's one of the reasons the turntable as control surface is still a viable compromise and a necessary evolutionary stage.

For the record I've never bothered with FS I just use the laptop with a lot of keys assigned and a small controller with a single fader for pitch control. This is a far from perfect set up but until the dust settles on the 2nd generation of dedicated controllers it just about does the job. My biggest concern when a great control surface does evolve is where I'm going to put it

Yeah I agree, looks great but there needs to be dedicated FX and loop buttons for each channel (at least 2 channels anyway), I'm sick to death of having to concern myself with the Focus/Non-Focus deck thing, it takes all the fun out of DJing... and heavy drinking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.