1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

NAMM Traktor Announcement - News Now Available

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by PhilL, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djneural

djneural NI Product Owner

Too bad this uses a USB2 port and that the device can only be powered through the USB bus.

How do I deal with my two USB-powered MIDI controllers, my mouse and sometimes the iPod??? The MacBook's (or whatever it is) USB bus will never give enough power for all of these devices.

I already use a USB-powered soundcard and I tried an external USB hub with power-supply so as to connect all of these devices but this doesn't work well (terrible latency+PC slowing down).

I was expecting something really high-end from NI with FireWire and power-supply.

I'm quite disappointed now, especially when I look at the price range.

Additionally, the idea of closing your software to work only with your hardware isn't good news for anyone (regarding the scratch technology, which IMHO could be adapted to any audio card).

Please find me arguments canceling my complains about USB and power-supply. I bought Traktor 3 and I don't want to have to change the software just because I'm not happy with the only hardware that works with it (for scratch).

Do you guarantee reasonably low latency over a self-powered USB hub? If you do that then it's all ok for me.

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Define current upgrade?

2 Decks and the Scratch software system has been optimized to support two decks at lowest possible latency.

Not yet that I've seen.

3. djDoring

djDoring Account Suspended

"2 optional phono preamps with high impedance input mode"

what does this mean ? do i need to buy extra preamps or does it have 2 built in and you can buy 2 optional ?

4. PhilL

Those issues are certainly worth paying CLOSE attention too Bandwidth is not an issue for us at present. but ensuring we have a clean performant platform as a whole will be. You can bet people will rail against the Audio8 if they have problems and just like when we had problems with the SA2 and Firewire we'll be quick to persecute without understanding everything that may be going on. you'll remember Hobbes having terrible problems and he eventually found the problem was with the ACPI Battery functions in his laptop... Go figure. You can be certain I will as I test as thoroughly as possible when you get the product if your system is already hosed under the hood, here iare new realtime demands that are going to find those weaknesses.

Phil

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

you can compare it with the former FS2 software that was a stripped down traktor 2.x at that time.

yes and that will happen nearly at the same time as scratch will be released - as upgrade for scratch customers or audio8 owners.
    if you own T3 you have to buy the one or the other, then upgrade.

(like you had to do before when you had traktor 2.6 or above and wanted FS support - you had to buy a complete FS2 to make use of the DVS compatibility)

6. mal1ce

mal1ce NI Product Owner

My mistake, the next update to Traktor DJ Studio...presumably 3.3?
    Will that include the new optimized NI "Scratch software system" engine?

7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

don't remember who asked, but here's the answer:

What is the TRAKTOR Multi Core Cable?
    The TRAKTOR Multi Core Cable is a professional audio cable included in the TRAKTOR Scratch package for connecting the Audio 8 DJ to DJ Mixer and turntables. The main feature of the cable is a
    central 7pin XLR connector that connects all single cables at once. The package includes 2 Multi Core cables (one for each timecode deck).

the idea behind: making conection easier and less fumbly.

8. djdrixx

djdrixx NI Product Owner

Does it mean that we will be able to control the 4 decks of Traktor 3 with in the same time 2 turntables and 2 CDJ (so "vinyl control" coming from 4 devices in the same time as we now have 8 imputs) ?

9. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

I have a cosmetic request already.

This will apply to both T3 & TS.

Change that needle position dot to a fat line in the Scratch detail window or provide an option to change it from a dot to a line.

Is there any pics of the Multi-Core cable yet? I've seen these types of 'snake' cables before.

10. grikschatj

grikschatj NI Product Owner

Re: Announcing The Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ

I wrote up a big long reply and I got logged out. Summary:

-Not pissed at NI.
    -Know Stanton is the bad guy.
    -Need to upgrade because most likely 3.2.0 will not be forward compatible with the upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    -Irritated at spending more money. Irritation does not equal pissed.

Again, I think the product looks great. I have tons of questions about it, and if it turns out that NI integrates support for SA2 in some way, super. At this point I'm just waiting to see what happens, and if it costs me $449 I'll probably pay it, but you can count on many of us complaining about it.

It's human nature Phill, no one wants to spend more money.

11. mal1ce

mal1ce NI Product Owner

Ya, that was me...I saw it when the NI site updated.
    Thanks

12. PhilL

13. LNE

LNE Forum Member

i like the idea that the new NI vinyl has two different sides:

a "normal" one and one for turntablists - smart.

Does the audio control 8 decode the timecode in the box?

14. djquartz

Any pics of the carrying case?

Someone on Skratchworx just asked if the Audio 8 DJ will work with Ableton, http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=616

Can we assume the packaged ASIO drivers will support this?

Also you might want to throw some comments up there.

15. DiDigital

DiDigital NI Product Owner

Thanx again Phil .. I got them now.

DD

16. mal1ce

mal1ce NI Product Owner

On further inspection of the Audio 8, I dont see a timecode gain knob like the SA2 has.
    Has this been done away with or is there a way to compensate for a weaker signal, like Ortofon carts vs Shure carts, in the software?

I also dont see a port specificaly labeled "Multi Core" that looks like a XLR connection...am I missing something?

17. djquartz

@ Mal1ce

The multi-core cable has rca's on both ends with an XLR breakout in the middle.

That way you can just disconnect the XLR connection and leave the second half still connected to the Audio 8.

18. mal1ce

mal1ce NI Product Owner

Ah, got it, thanks

19. nohiphop

nohiphop NI Product Owner

1. Stanton FS OPEN
    The asio driver already exist, I already can use the scratch amp with Virtual DJ, so that is nothing new.
    More interesting seems to me, that Virtual DJ owners posted problems with the DVS part. This was updated a few weeks ago, but maybe Virtual DJ will integrate FS Support soon.
    And the software isn't a bad one

2. Traktor Scratch.

From the i/o specs it is the best soundcard of the available DVS system (FS2/SSL/Torq/Numark) but
    it's just another competitor.
    NI has missed the train to bring the user of many systems together.
    SSL will deliver ASIO drivers, FS2 still has, Connectiv also has ASIO driver
    Virtual DJ works with nearly every Soundcard (also WDM, but I think that sucks)

Traktor has many good features, but instead of making it more stable at first, fixing well known bugs (german Signs öüä, NMX, Midi Support) they develop new features, especially hardware.

Sorry NI, go back to your roots!
    We don't need a NI Soundcard,
    we don't need a NI controller
    but we need a rock solid peace of software, this is what we expected, when we bought Traktor 3.0

So the best thing you could do is make your DVS available to all soundcard users.
    Make an update 2 records, 2 CD's in package about 60€ and I think the user here will be happy ...

BTW: I know many german clubs having a fix installation of a FS2 Scratchamp. I don't belive they will replace it ...

20. MixMasterMark

MixMasterMark NI Product Owner

I'm not to slick when it comes to chips but I recall a day when having a Cirrus processor opposed to a Pentium in a PC was like having a Yugo trying to race a viper.

Is this the same Cirrus Logic Converter in the Audio8 as the Cirrus Logic Processor in motherboards that disappeared ages ago?

If so, is there something we should know that would change the mindset of Cirrus being low-end?

~ Mix Master mark ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.