Native Access | Cloud Based Library

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Aladarious, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Aladarious

Aladarious New Member

Features include
    -saving user and factory presets, favorites in Maschine and files (i.e. User Files, presets and samples, and even choosing which samples you want to delete and keep factory and User) on a cloud.
    -Online backup, ridding the need to constantly doing the work manually and fear of losing those files.
    -reaktor community and third party accessability.

Feel like it could all be implemented in Native Access as well.

What does everybody think and what other features could be implemented?

2. caronicq

caronicq New Member

I agree.... I own Komplete 11 Ultimate and Maschine as well as other vendor VST's, all of which currently resides on a laptop with 1TB HD, but it is filling up. It would be great for NI to start exploring how to run Komplete from the Cloud to save space and or mobility. If other industries are leveraging the cloud, I don;t see why the music industry cannot head down that path.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I feel like we need simple things first, NA doesn't even have a "reinstall button", a change libraries location button, etc... It needs to grow before such requests are even slightly realistic.

HD space won't be fixed by a cloud system, you cant expect to load an 8GB multisampled piano from a cloud server... Clouds for music production elements are meant for small samples and presets that are very small in size. Huge files on a cloud makes no sense.

4. Andrew Conniff

Andrew Conniff New Member

I am also hoping to figure out a way to have the libraries I need when I travel - and I think the key is to figure out which files we can use remotely - I don't really want to travel with a remote hard drive but using the install instructions to an external hd might be the way to go. Then copy those files to the cloud.

One way I have been thinking of doing this is to use a remote repository - something like github or Azure DevOps but if you have a paid account at DropBox or enough space on Share Point this could work too. I like Git because I can upload project files from the command line.

So- I would have
    • All my Instruments in Cloud storage (Azure Blob as a zipped file for each instrument) (Or SharePoint)
    • All my projects in git repository (or sharepoint)
    • In my REPO I keep a list of which instruments the project needs in the README
    When I want to load a project I clone it down from the git repo and then copy down the instruments form the cloud (to the same folder each time per the instructions listed earlier) and work on my project. I can even download the files for any new instruments I want to work with and whichever ones I end up using I list in the readme.

When I am done working - upload the updates to the project files (including the readme) and delete the audio libraries (keep the folder) and delete the folder I cloned for the project (or keep the project locally as they may not be too large but by uploading the project I can then pull the project changes onto a different computer later).

Run CCLeaner to clear all the cache info and my laptop is feeling fresh - all my files are updated, safe and accessible from any computer that has the core software installed on them which do not take up too much room.

5. mason drielling

mason drielling NI Product Owner

I was thinking about getting a mac mini.... what do you think?

6. Jeremy E Shaw

Jeremy E Shaw NI Product Owner

DropBox.

As a nearly 30 year net/sysadmin, I would personally recommend AGAINST allowing a 3rd party - any 3rd party - to host your data in this way outside things like profiles, key bindings and MIDI configs, etc(which you have local copies of, as well).

Other than static backup archives that you use to safeguard duplicates of your data, I would recommend local replication and/or differential backups and storage due to a variety of factors related to technology, philosophy, and the idea of future-proofing your most important files.