1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Solved Navigate Controller Editor Tempales from the Hardware (Mk3, MCU transport)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Apr 3, 2020.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

Whenever i press shift + midi on my MK3, it brings up the list to press the arrow through to load a template, or bring up MCU transport. etc. whenever i load the MCU transport, it is impossible to get back to that menu. If i press shift + midi while already on the MCU transport mode, it automatically goes to the display screen that says "press shift + channel for midi mode". if i press shift + channel, it either goes back to MCU transport or freezes and i have to turn it on and off again. Upon restart and pressing shift + midi, it seems to bring up whatever mode it wants. Opening up controller editor is the only solution and manually clicking which template i'd like ITB.

Is my hardware defective?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

when in Midi Mode, just press the shift key, then press the upper button all the way to the right that is labeled "Templates" That will get you back to the list of Templates.

And there is no specific MCU Transport Mode, you are Just loading and MCU transport Template in Midi Mode....same as any other template, but is used for DAW Software Control, not for playing Pads or tweaking VST Parameters.

Peace,

Blindeddie

3. StarSMASH

that's the thing though; when i press the shift key when in midi mode (specifically only on MCU transport template), nothing shows up. anytime i even scroll to "MCU Transport" in midi mode on my MK3, it is impossible to get back to any other template. (excuse the wording and confusion from my previous lack of terminology from before). I have to access my other templates through the software or turn off & on my MK3 to do it via hardware (which doesn't always even work).

4. Blindeddie

Do you have multiple templates set up in a single configuration? See attached screenshot.

ce.png

That should allow you to select any one of those templates when you hit Shift + Templates... at least it does for me...

Peace,

Blindeddie

5. StarSMASH

yes, I have multiple templates. When I press shift/ shift + midi on my MK3 while in MCU transport mode, I cannot access other templates. The solution you’re giving is what it is supposed to do, however, mine does not do that.

6. Blindeddie

You need to post a video of what you are doing, because you are confusing me...if you are in Midi Mode (Shift + Channel/Midi) and have any Template loaded, pressing Shift+Channel/Midi should take you Out of Midi mode... to change a template, while you are in Midi Mode, you press Shift, on the right display you should see "Monitor, Knobs,Pages and Templates" under buttons 5 - 8 Press button 8 (while still holding shift) then you should see a list of templates...use knob 5 to navigate to the template you want to load and press button 6. Now press and hold Shift then press button 6 to go to the Knobs page. If your MK 3 is not working this way, then I would assume something is wrong with it....

doing my best here...

Peace,

Blindeddie

7. StarSMASH

8. Blindeddie

OK, watched the vid, and appears something is up with the controller... but try this, instead of using the arrow keys to cycle through the templates, when you press shift, press button 8 at the top right (it says template underneath it) that should give you a list of templates in the right display, then use knob 5 to , (should have a white line above it) to select a different template then press button 6 (which has Load underneath it) then press shift again and press button 6 again (which should now say Knobs underneath it) that will take you to the display with the pad and knob mappings if it is a non MCU template. TRY not to use the Left/ Right Arrow keys to see if you can navigate the templates without the controller dying so to speak. And Dude, I know you are frustrated, but go easy on the Buttons...smashing them is not going to make it work...:D

Peace,

Blindeddie

9. Blindeddie

here is a video of me navigating templates the way I described in my last post.

Peace,

Blindeddie

10. StarSMASH

lol. But again, your solution SHOULD work, except if you check my video, nothing happens at all when i press shift. No "template" option appears at all. nothing. at least not when i already scroll to MCU transport. it is effectively STUCK on that page.

11. Blindeddie

yes it does...in the right screen when you press SHIFT, all the way to the right, it says "Templates" I can see it in your Video. While shift is pressed, press the button above where it says Templates. then release shift there you should see the list of templates... you say it does not work, but you never even try to press that button...
    at 3 seconds into your video, as soon as you press shift, "Templates" appears it the top right of the right screen.

Peace,

Blindeddie

12. Blindeddie

to prove I am not messing with you, here is a screenshot of your video as you press the Shift key for the first time...I have put a red box around where it says templates...when you see that on the screen press the button above it. then release shift.

yt.png

what we are trying to determine now, is if the issue is with the arrow buttons or is something bigger that is causing it to lock up.

Peace,

Blindeddie

13. StarSMASH

i appreciate your help and thank you for trying, but you’re really not listening.

It says templates on button 8 because the left screen is on “template 1”, not “MCU transport” which is where my only problem lies.

14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

To be honest, Blindeddie, it does seem like this is the case and/or you didn't watch the whole video. After switching to the MCU template, holding shift does nothing and after switching back to control mode (even though MASCHINE itself isn't running), shift+CONTROL does nothing (i.e., doesn't switch back to MIDI mode).

Am I right in saying you've been messing with the MCU template recently? I wonder if it's possible you've somehow corrupted it (in one sense or another), which is causing these issues. I'd save and back up any CE templates you've created/amended and then reinstall CE and its factory templates.

15. Blindeddie

I saw that, but it was available at one point before he switched to the MCU template, but I wanted to see if the same behavior is exhibited (the controller basically dying) if switching to the MCU template in a different way than using the arrow keys.... it’s called troubleshooting 101. If the controller dies or gets stuck when loading that template My suggestion would be to delete the offending template from the configuration (backing it up by using “Export”) and saving the current configuration. Then going in and Seeing if the lock up occurs. If it does not, create a new mcu template, make no changes to it, just see if it will load and not freeze the controller (making sure to close the controller editor first) if it does not freeze go ahead and make a few modifications to the template and test after every several changes to make sure it is still working.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Put the "MCU transport" template in your CE list, navigate to it, then you will get stuck when that particular template is active/loaded.... At least I do, just like StarSmash.

If I have to take a wild guess I would say it's because the MCU Template has nothing configured, no buttons, pages, etc other than the transport... As far as I am concerned this is bug, can you guys confirm?

17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Ok... I think I found the problem. It's related to Knob Pages, if a Template has no Pages (zero pages actually) the Left/Right buttons will be MIDI Buttons instead of internal buttons like the Shift, so they wont longer work for "internal" template navigation.

So, to fix the problem just create a Page.
    [​IMG]

So, I am assuming this is by design and not a bug, so the user can choose between having those Left/Right buttons for navigation OR if someone doesn't need to navigate templates then they can use the buttons to map MIDI stuff. This might be in the manual.. that i never read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Blindeddie

Confirmed, yes if Knob Pages "or" Pad Pages is not active on the pages tab then stuck...should have pages active by default for the MCT Template to avoid confusion.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blindeddie

Also noted that if Pad Pages is inactive, Group Buttons are Assignable....

20. Blindeddie

OK, thanks D-One for figuring out the MCU Transport Template issue. Explains the behavior exhibited when no Knob or Pad pages are active... But just wanted to mention that If using the method I described of Loading Templates Using Shift+Button 8 (not left or right arrow) that when loading the MCU Transport template with no Knob or Pad pages, the list of templates still remains on on the Right screen, and Knob 5 is still available to scroll through the Other templates and Button 6 is still active to load a different template so you can get to other templates that way and the phantom "Controller is Locked" issue becomes a non-issue...

Again, Thanks D-One

Peace,

Blindeddie