1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a new PC for music making - any tips?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by astrochump, Oct 1, 2019.

1. astrochump

astrochump New Member

My Windows 10 64 bit, i5, 4GB RAM PC is starting to complain about lack of memory and then crash, especially when I'm running Maschine and Reaper at the same time.

So I'm thinking I need more RAM.

Should 8GB be enough? And are there any processors I should avoid?

Please don't mention Macs - I don't want one.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

It depends on your budget so an new i5 should it be at least better a i7. And 8 Gig is enough but normally I double it for speed cause with 2 rams the computer uses dual channel ram, and many laptops have only one 8 gig ram inside.

Uwe

3. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

I have a Dell Refurb with i5 3.30Ghz processor, 16 gig of ram and 500Gb SSD System drive (I also have 3Tb of external drives for samples etc.) ,it works great and was cheap.

As far as memory goes, More is better...

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. astrochump

astrochump New Member

OK, ta. So I just need 8GB Ram minimum, i5 will do but i7 if I can afford it. Should I avoid AMDs and al lthat and stick to Intel?.

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes for now intel mobile is better, but for a desktop you can use ryzen without any problems.

Uwe

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-laptop-for-music-production/
    I guess the new ryzens will also perform good but there isn't any valid information out there for the mobile processors for now

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. astrochump

astrochump New Member

ok, thx

7. astrochump

astrochump New Member

Ps do u need a compressor on ur soundcloud track?

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

If you mean on the master bus for mastering then yes of course - I have a chain on master bus for that and the last fx should be the limiter in transparent mode set to -1 dB ceiling, other settings to your liking. Limiter No 6 is also a great free master effect. But you should read a bit about mastering.

Uwe

9. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I would keep this computer and not replace it.
    Invest in more memory. I would recommend 16 GB.
    Depending on your motherboard (how many memory slots) you can take a 2x8 GB kit.
    Buy a kit and not two separate memories.

René

• Like Like x 1
  10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

An "i5" doesn't mean much if anything. It can be from 2009 or from 2019, it can be dual-core or six-core, clock speeds (MHz) vary, etc, etc...

I would say get 8GB of ram, thats the minimum required nowadays but also plenty for most people, most producers dont fill in nowhere near 16GB of ram to have it in the first place, I am assuming your computer is quite old and putting a ton of ram in it wouldn't make much sense unless you do a lot of multitasking, more ram doesn't make a computer faster it just makes you be able to run more applications at once, or load insane amounts of sample library instruments like Kontakt.

Now if your computer is indeed really old, and you can afford to buy a new one then look into AMD-Ryzen, it's cheaper than Intel.
    Something like this:
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/E595/p/22TP2TEE595
    With this CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U (2.3GHz, Boost to 4.0GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads 4MB Cache)
    +16GB of ram will run you 800$ USD
    Pretty good performance for the price, review here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...s-with-the-exact-same-processor.427320.0.html

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  11. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Correct thats why I wrote a new i5, but unfortunately was a bit unspecific new i5's start with an 8 or 9 after i5 or i7 like i5 8250u or i5 9300h. But good to know that also mobile ryzen is good for making music then my next laptop will be ryzen too like my desktop.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  12. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I can vouch for the Amd Ryzen's using a 3600 here with no issues. extremely good beats my old i5 4460 with ease :)

13. Skalamanga

Skalamanga NI Product Owner

I'd definitely go for 16Gb RAM, and an NVMe boot drive. If you want an ultra portable laptop, the razer blade stealth, Dell xps or Lenovo x1 carbon are my best choices currently.

Something that charges via USB type c, I just bought the mu type c 45w international charger and it changed my life!

14. D-One

I was curious about real-world results so I pulled out one of my 2 8GB Ram sticks, to limit myself just 8GB and no dual channel.

Maschine standalone has 5 Pure Drip expansion kits loaded + a Group with 6 Kontakt Piano Instruments.
    Ableton has another 6 random Kontakt Instruments; everything is playing at the same time with high polyphony for the instruments.
    I still manage some Ram left to have Chrome with a random youtube video also playing... Not too bad considering i have a bunch of background stuff running... Not sure how this would translate in a laptop with a slower CPU though, just thought I'd share the info.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Ram.png
      Ram.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Skalamanga

One chrome tab? I just went through the tabs I had open this afternoon and closed about 80. Still have 135 open that I'm not done with yet... chrome on it's own is taking 11Gb:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. D-One

HAHA. Is there a particular reason you have 215 browser tabs open? It seems a bit much...
    Didn't try more tbh, the point was to test the Audio limit of those 8GB's, someone with low ram can't afford a ton of tabs + Audio apps running filled with instruments.

17. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

P0rnhub:rolleyes:o_O:eek::D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Skalamanga

Most are documentation websites for various applications I'm working with, with a few research projects and pdfs.

There are always a few redundant pages from links that open new tabs, but most are still holding information I need.

19. Skalamanga

I didn't count the tabs in THAT window, there was just too many:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. The Guy

The Guy New Member

my advice is always buy as much CPU as you can afford. ram is overrated for music production