1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help In Creating An Audio Arpeggiator/Slicer/Delay FX.

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by zoobooboozoo, May 4, 2014.

1. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Hi all.

I'm trying to create an Audio(not midi) sort of Arpeggiator/Slicer/Delay FX.

Using Ableton, I have an Audio track with a clip in it, just a long C I froze out of some synth an Reaktor FX on the track.

I want reaktor to take a 200ms slice of the incoming audio an repeat every 200ms. (Afterwards I'd like to sync it with the tempo but I wanna keep this simple at first since I'm pretty much a Reaktor noob).

I tried doing it with a Single Delay module. Connected L to the In and a constant of 200 to Dly and routed the audio forward. but I just hear the original audio with no delay effect. What am I doing wrong?
    [​IMG]

Thx in advance guys.

2. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

you need to blend the original and the delay signal together, otherwise you will just hear the delayed signal, when you only hear the delayed signal its just like hearing the original alone, but a little later in time, the mix between the original signal and the delayed signal is what gives you the delay/echo sound.

3. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Thanks guys.

Great tut arachnaut.

Can you guys help me further by telling me how can I display the value of a module like tempo info, or multiply, or whatever it is in the panel?

Hope I'm not disturbing with this simple questions. I want to accomplish very specific things and I don't want to dive into hours of video courses and manual reading with reaktor just yet...
    EDIT: NVM. Found it. "Numeric Readout"

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Problem

I followed the tut and mangled with the result to make it function exactly how I wanted it to and Basically everything is fine

except:
    the midi gate trigger doesn't work 100% time and I'm left with too-long stutters or slices of the original audio.
    I've noticed that if I take the midi ever so slightly to the right(So it's late by 1/256) everything works great.
    Same things goes for when two adjacent midi notes are right next to each other("legato"). If I shorten the 1st note of the two by 1/256 the 2nd triggers just fine.

So:
    1) What's causing this? a tiny midi latency?
    2) How can I solve this problem? I know there's "Unit Delay" for audio, but is there an equivalent for midi?
    3) How can I solve the similar problem that occurs with "legato" notes? is it possible to do so without having the original audio come back between the notes? if I simply cut the end of the notes the original audio might come back...

Thx, ZBBZ.

BTW - I noticed that in "Unit Delay"'s info it says that there should be one in every feedbacking module, so should I place on in the Single Delay loop?

5. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

when turned on, the glitch uses the last recorded audio. ie if you have the time set to 100ms, you'll hear the last 100ms over and over. you may prefer to record a bit of first, then start playing it back, so that if you press the glitch button at the same time as a note plays, it will glitch the current audio.

6. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

How do I do that salamndra? My ensemble is based on the tut... how do make the gate trigger a "resample" of the audio like you described?

BTW - Why isn't it doing it already? I mean, the delay should start its recursive glitching when gate is on, so I don't see why this is happnening...

7. salamanderanagram

the tutorial is the easiest possible method for something like this, the reason being the whole thing has to be around 10 minutes long.

when it iturns on, it plays the data currently stored in the delay. you if you press a drum and simultaneously tell it to glitch, it's not glitching the incoming audio, but the audio that was playing directly before you press the note.

8. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Makes sense. so how can I record a Xms slice in reaktor to do solve this?

I followed that video to the letter and I still get this problem sometimes....

9. salamanderanagram

i mean, it's probably as simple as delaying the incoming gate on signal by the same time period as the glitch length. that way the delay will have some time to take in the incoming audio.

10. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Yeah, I thought about doing something like this as you can see in the OP: "What is the midi qeuivelant of "Unit Delay"?"

edit: unit delay doesn't have a customaizble length...

edit2: Solved! I simply placed a single delay after the gate and connected the dly to the same loop that the glitch delays are connected to. so far everything is in order

Thanks y'all.

11. salamanderanagram

just use the single delay module

12. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

You're too quick salamandra! see above post... :)

13. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Ok, I', still having problem with legato notes. I use different notes to control differnt glitch rates. but since they are right next to each other the gate never turns 0 again and so it doesn't resample the audio...

I need to know how to make the gate retrigger even if the notes play one right after another

Maybe I can get the midi note length somehow and use it to turn the gate to zero just before it ends? is there a simpler way or some gate module with re-triggering capability that I missed?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  14. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Hi again.

I managed to pull it off. I used an envelope after the gate so after the trigger the gate stays under "1" until the delay time has passed. So now it has a chance to resample the audio currently coming in without having the gate triggers overlap because the gate itself is delayed.

- I added a switch for turning legato resampling on or off.
    - The 2 voice gate also solves some other sampling issues, not necesseraly ones caused by legato notes.
    [​IMG]

I would appreciate your feedback and criticism about how I did it. I hoped I use the voice combiners in all the appropriate places.
    Also, When legato resample is off the value arriving at the crossfader is 2. Does this matter at all? I mean is there any effect for X value that is greater than 1 in a crossfader? I couldn't hear one anyway...

Thanks for the help Jim and Salamandra.

P.S.
    I posted it in two threads since it seems relevant to both and would help other ppl fine the info using the sarch. I hope it's ok...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  15. salamanderanagram

hey
    i'm very busy these days so i don't have a lot of time to devote to projects that aren't my own - sorry for the lack of response.

this is an effect unit yeah? i don't understand why the whole thing isn't mono?

my suggestion with the gates was that you use a separator to get a stream for events on and another for events off. the events on should be delayed. the events off should be passed thru - after the delay they can be merged together again. i haven't had time to test this, but i think it should work.

16. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

I wish I could keep it mono, I see no way around it.

I don't think there's a event off with legato notes with a mono gate... it's just stays on for the total duration of legato notes...

17. zoobooboozoo

zoobooboozoo Member

Gee, that's so much simpler. can't believe I dealt with all these voice combiners and problems caused by a 2 voiced FX...

Once again salamndra, thx. I should test before I post...

18. salamanderanagram

glad you worked it out ;)