Need help modifying Skrewell if possible

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by killmaster, Feb 8, 2020.

1. killmaster

killmaster NI Product Owner

I really love Skrewell but I'd like to be able to have remote access to the mouse only XY area (called Mouse Area). Its the left green bar area that you mouse over to change the selected parameter for the 8 voices.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 2.44.34 PM.png

Is there a simple way to go into the structure and make it so I can access that from my DAW? If so, is it easy enough to explain here? :)

Thanks!!

Greg

2. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Yoir post is quite vague... What do you want to do with it ? If you look for Skrewell in the UL, there are alteady several mods...

3. killmaster

To explain in more detail, the mouse area has an X parameter and a Y parameter. I want to be able to automate those in my DAW (Bitwig).

I've looked at all the ones in the UL I could find and I couldn't find one that had this as far as I could tell.

4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Greg, here is one solution for you.
    mouse2manual.png
    Randomise all channels is working also.
    It's vanished from U/L. The 8x8 faders is from there (2007). The random section is by me (today 2020).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. killmaster

Thanks Paule. This is really cool and I may use it but what I really like about having one xy pad to map is that I can smoothly "play" the pad using these different modes: so best if I can assign X and Y to one XY pad on my controller.

Attached Files:

6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Skrewell use mb (mouse button) beneath x and y values.
    Wait please for more solutions.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/controlling-skrewell.30025/#post-415422
    Another question in this forum (2008) with the same theme you'll like.

a solution by theologiae
    „not very easy, if at all. the mouse area can not be controlled that way. sorry. but what i did (the sneaky brat that i am) is take the "XY" from Krypt and change it out with the mouse area. it plugs right in without a ton of work because lazyfish reuses a lot of his structures, and the "XY" can be controlled.

i would upload my hack, but NI doesn't want people spreading that stuff around because Krypt is a part of EI2. but buy Krypt, plug it in and your life will shine with the glory of god........er.........maybe just lazyfish (same thing to me).”

The last post is by Loopy C (Chris Gibson):
    „Thanks goodness I could build a 'self running' machine to do this as I finally needed some sleep (Logic running automation to both vary and create 2~3 min pre-faded bounces in 'batches' of hours offline (up to the 2 Gb limit per bounce) then used the single 'take' time lengths to slice back into the individual files 'by marker').”

8. killmaster

wow! so cool! How did you ever find this!? Thank you!

I happen to have bought Electronic Instruments 2 and have Krypt so I may give it a shot! (though I have zero experience with actually building anything)
    I agree with that poster that so much expressive possibilities are opened up by doing this!

9. killmaster

Too bad, but I ended up not being able to follow this solution. I think they must've been using an earlier version of Krypt which I don't have. The names seem different for the modules.

10. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I type in the searching field 'Skrewell' and look around Dec 2007 to Dec 2008. Because 8x8 was from 2007-12-07

Follow the red line without magic!

11. killmaster

I realized that solution may not have worked anyways cause the XY module in Krypt only controls 6 voices and Skrewell has 8.

12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Here is screen edit from EI2 R5 2015-10-27

theologiae wrote

the thing about krypt and skerwell is they use voices to get their values. so with krypt, it uses 6 voices (of the 350 or so set in the ens.) and skerwell uses 8. so when you plug in the XY, you get 8 faders, not 6.

or so i think.

so you have to do some tricky work to get the 8 voice XY to automate, and each application will be a bit different from the next. for standalone automation, just have a poly lfo/random/asdr and offset the values to get a spectrum of sounds. just like newscool, there are lfo that cycle through the values, so you don't end up with al the values in the XY going up and down at the same time.

there is a lot to explain to get the idea fully, but if you dig into lazyfish's stuff, you will find that most the ideas you are having, he has already put in play. the trick is to pull everything apart so you end up with the XY from one ens. the sounds from another ens. and the lfo from another ens. so there is a lot of playing around you need to do it get the most out of it. this kind of stuff only touches the tip of what one could do.

as for automation in a host.......i don't mess with that, so i couldn't say. i would guess it would be a bit harder.

Attached Files:

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Next and last solution of the Skrewell hack
    mouse2xy.png

Use the Voice Info module.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. killmaster

Thank you! Almost works! I can scroll the mouse in the mouse area and it moves controls in Bitwig in all XY modes (DRAW WRAP and RAND), but the controls in Bitwig don't actually scroll the XY in Skrewell, except in DRAW mode. So close! Thanks for the try!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Wrap and Random got stuck a bit. Version 4 slips well. And some snapshots from later times.
    Greg, it's the X/ Y area now. I hope v4 is better in Bitwig and all the other daws.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. killmaster

I have to compress the IDs for them to show up in Bitwig and I also have to enable automation for the VALUE module. Once I do the control dials show up with the proper names in Bitwig, but still, the dials in Bitwig only control DRAW mode in Skrewell. Not WRAP or RAND modes... weird.

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

With release r004 also?

If I right understand: you control the X/Y in Bitwig and have access to the buttons Draw, Wrap and random?

If you want to change wrap click first on wrap button then use X/Y. Same with Random.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Pull out Bitwig's ears; it has no mouse button. Please test release r006. Thank you

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2020-2-9_5-24-59.png
    During my tests it helps me to use the slomo engine from random mix in he morph here.
    The blue switch is for that.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. killmaster

In version 6, I thought it wasn't working then I ticked MIDI In on in the VALUE module and the behavior is different now.

RAND works in both directions! And DRAW works in both directions! But, now WRAP doesn't.
    I'm happy though! Thank you! I wouldn't really use WRAP live I don't think anyways. I'm mainly going
    to use RAND and DRAW anyways. version 5 SloMo didn't work for me. I think the controls mapped
    the same as version 6 but the SloMo was more like jerky skippy mo.