Nektar Aura

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Goon, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Great to see more alternatives coming into the market. The DAW integration list is pretty huge, the big question is: How good is the software, will be keeping an eye.

3. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Yeah me too, the Nektarine software is similar to KK from what I believe, and according to Nektar support Ableton is well supported too using Max For Live, which is one that Nektar previously omitted supporting

4. D-One

Max? So does that mean it wouldn't work in the Standard version of Live which doesn't come with Max?

5. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Well the message I got from Nektar support says Max for Live so Ableton Suite unless you buy Max for Live.

"Yes it's an exciting product Aura. You can indeed play your synths. If you host the synth in the included Nektarine software, you will benefit from chords and scales mode. You can also choose to 'limit' the number of pads designated to a synth, with others triggering samples.

In Ableton Live Suite (you need max For Live to import our integration) Aura is able to navigate the browser, tracks and arrangement view - with focus applied to setting loop points and Cue markers. You can also enable 'clip record' which switches the focus of the record to Ableton's session record mode, with SHIFT+RECORD working to trigger overdub in MIDI clips.

There is particular attention applied to both the Drum rack and Impulse. Aura has a 'pad rack' for Ableton which is enabled by pressing one of the 4 buttons above the pads. When the pad rack is enabled, if you select a track with the drum rack on it, the pads automatically map to the selected bank of pads in the drum rack. The 4 arrow buttons above the pads navigate the selected bank in the drum rack - and if you use the mouse to change the bank, the pads follow.

Impulse only responds to 8 specific MIDI notes, and with Pad Rack enabled, you can be sure these notes are always mapped to the lower 8 pads of Aura automatically when a track with Impulse is selected.

With synths if you don't have Nektarine hosting them, the pad rack forms a chromatic scale, and you can navigate up/down or transpose the scale using the 4 buttons above the pads.

What is perhaps the most unique feature of Aura is that the inbuilt sequencer and the Note repeat ending will work in tune with the pad rack - so you can use the sequencer and repeat with Ableton's drum rack and Impulse devices!"

There is the message in full.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. D-One

Thanks for sharing, Goon, very informative!
    The Max thing makes it sort of an expensive solution from the software side.

7. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I have and use Ableton 10 suite so I'm all set lol. Have pre ordered the Aura and if any good I will sell my maschine

8. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

This is looking like probably the most viable alternative to date. If it's as usable as they indicate with the various DAW's then that makes for a rather compelling argument to consider it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Yep, I have good feeling about this Aura, especially they now have Ableton integration sorted

10. tempsperdu

And so the question is is this yet another angle that NI might or should have pursued but haven't.

11. tempsperdu

I've been looking at the YouTube videos of the Nektar keyboard controllers..... and bear in mind these are from a year ago.....it's almost heartbreaking. Whilst I still think aesthetically Maschine / Komplete steals the march on the competition functionality wise Nektar are providing a lot of the features users have been requesting for years and I have to admit if I was NI Iwould be both worried and envious because if I hadn't already bought heavily into the NI eco system there are a lot .....huge lot of reasons ......for buying into Nektar instead and the sad thing is users have been asking for this functionality before I even heard of Maschine. It's hard to believe there are truly viable excuses that NI isn't matching or providing more functionality.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Yes they do look good, my only quibble was, they lacked Ableton integration, but they look like changing that with this Aura controller/sequencer.

13. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Quick update, mine was delivered on Friday, my thoughts & first impressions are, the software Nektarine - not a patch on Komplete Kontrol, its clunky and not intuitive, However once the plugins are scanned in and you have done your own mappings its done. Now the hardware itself, the pads are very very playable, and the big selling point, the sequencer, its brilliant, very easy to use with each part can have a different play rate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. smvrf

smvrf New Member

Hi Goon! Thanks for sharing the feedback. I am very new to electronic music production. And I really want to invest either in Maschine MK3 or Nektar Aura. MK3 is very attractive to me since it can slice the samples and the screens seem to add intuitiveness, the main con for me is the price comparing to Aura, which seems to have have powerful step sequencing. And that's all I know about the two :D
    I would really appreciate the detailed feedback on Native Aura, and which one is better for what. Thanks anyways!

15. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Aura is great for Drum sequencing, Maschine is a better all rounder, with a software package that hits the spot. The Aura only comes with Nektarine, which is similar in concept to Komplete Kontrol, but it is clunky and takes some working out. the Aura does have the onboard sequencer which is very very powerful, but you will need to transfer that to your DAW at some point. I cannot comment on DAW integration yet, as Nektar are still working on DAW integration for LIVE which I use.

• Like Like x 1
  16. smvrf

smvrf New Member

Thanks a lot for the insight! I have ordered MK3 for now :)

17. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Enjoy, take your time to learn what it can do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

watching this with interest

19. thePostman

thePostman NI Product Owner

For me the deal breaker with Maschine is that it doesn't support aftertouch. That was the reason for met to sent it back, eventhough I really liked it. This is not a problem with the Aura, since Nektarine does support aftertouch. For anyone interested in a comparison between Nektarine and Komplete Kontrol, I have made a quite comprehensive video on the subject:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. tempsperdu

Thanks for that very informative and I hope you're on the beta programme. It's sad that even though they now seem to be moving in the right direction, NI have become poor in many areas compared to some of the competition and I really do hope that they are not only just taking note but
    want to address the myriad of shortcomings the software has.

• Like Like x 1