1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

New Block: Microtune

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Ken88, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Ken88

Ken88 NI Product Owner

These new blocks let you add or subtract 100 cents (1 semitone) to the incoming pitch. The controls can be modulated. This can be useful for detuning OSCs, supersaws, making your own unison, simulation OSC drift, etc. It can be used in series with my transposition (by semitone) blocks.

Since pitch is a logarithmic scale - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(music) - and I was not sure how NI implemented very small pitch intervals, I tested the detuning using a Peterson Soft Stobe on my iPad and the scale is in cents (on my Block, a display of 1 = 1 semitone = 100 cents). https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/

Please add any comments here. Hope you like it :)

Link to download here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/9591/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Phil998

Phil998 New Member

thank you. I guess with this it will be easy to create a 12-tone microtuning input for common keyboards. And x-tone microtuning for special controllers.

3. Ken88

Ken88 NI Product Owner

Thank you @Phil998 . If you used 12 factory quantizer blocks, set all of them to different notes of the scale and sent each note to a different microtuned output, you would have a 12-toned microtuned input. I will see if I can build a small block to do that.

Edit: Well maybe a little more complicated... ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. Phil998

Phil998 New Member

it's just that I haven't managed yet how to use custom microtunings inside Reaktor, although there are a number of macros and Ensembles since long time. A block with selectable frequencies for each note would be nice of course, and maybe NI will provide such a tuning block some day. But I admit I'm not experienced enough with Reaktor and programming in general. There are other solutions available anyway.

5. Ken88

Ken88 NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exiannyc

Exiannyc NI Product Owner

Cool! Thanks! For anyone interested, Scala is a free huge database of thousands of scales. You could select a scale and then derive the midicents tuning. Tons of resources here... http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ken88

Ken88 NI Product Owner

@Exiannyc Thank you very much for the nice words and the link, it will be very helpful!

8. Exiannyc

There are thousands of other scales and tunings besides the 12 limited intervals we are used. They are the next frontier. Or maybe I should say the eternal frontier. So it is great that you are bringing this capacity into Reaktor and Blocks.

I played (and sang) in a Javanese gamelan for 2 years. Gamelan music is built on a very different set of intervals. That is part of what makes it haunting.

There are whole universes of other colors and feelings out there. Here's a sample... Any Indian or Arabic or African or Turkish music gets a lot of its magic from the scales that it is built on.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ken88

Ken88 NI Product Owner

@Exiannyc thank you. Unfortunately converting MIDI from a 12 note/octave to a higher note/octave like 15 is very challenging, more than I can do now. I like the video you linked to very much, is that you playing?

10. Exiannyc

That video is not me, it's some Turkish musicians. One of them built these incredible microtonal guitars and he explains them and then plays them. At 2:30 there is a portal into another world.

Ken, please don't worry about making room for more than 12 notes in an octave. You have already made a big contribution. And, even if a scale theoretically has 53 notes in an octave, a musician probably would not USE all those notes in a given composition, just as with our 12 note scale, it is rare for musicians to use more than 7-8 of them in a composition. (I realize that arty or experimental compositions will get closer to using all the available notes. Or if you go through a lot of modulations, you will use more.)

To put this another way,Tolgahan Çoğulu, who built the amazing guitars, probably does not USE all those frets in any one song. Each song or key or mode will use a subset of the available notes. It's slowly dawning on me that that's where all the action is.

So, if someone wants to use a 31 note scale, they can pick the 12 notes they actually want to use in a composition, and happily use your block.

Please don't feel like you have to work harder than you already have. PLUS our limited keyboards would not be able to play more than 12 notes anyway!

Thanks again Ken88.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Phil998

Phil998 New Member

many thanks too, Ken. Great work.

I still use Scala's Relayer function for monophonic synths, which is, if I'm not mistaken, Exiannyc's work. Thank you both, very precious software you create. And I agree, it's an endless border. Also agree to the 12-tone version of this block. There are only few instruments with alternative keys, and I guess some already have a tuning software.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Exiannyc

Dear Phil998, no it's not my work but thanks for the thought. I was named after Christiaan Huygens who discovered the rings of Saturn and commissioned a piano with 31 notes to the octave. Different guy, even though we have similar interests.

13. Cosmo Welfare

Cosmo Welfare New Member

Very good, I always need microtuning, and now I can create my just intonation scales. To control the frequencies of the notes is the future of sound. Reaktor needs innovations like this.

14. sebastian_feldhof

sebastian_feldhof New Member

hello ken :)

Im the guy with the global tune issue,
    if you have time, maybe you can do a variation of the note in block,
    with the option to set a global tune????

15. ANAFREE

ANAFREE New Member

16. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Phil998, can you explain what Scala's Relayer function does? Why does it only work for monophonic synths?

17. JED LARSON

JED LARSON New Member

Hi, Can anyone help on this?

I'm running a Cubase midi track into a Reaktor vsti in order to micro tune the notes in the midi track. (On another Cubase track, I have the Reakor's "midi out" signal set as the input for the midi track, and then routed to a hardware synth.)

When I turn the "Micro Tune Scale" knobs for each chromatic note, I get 1/2 steps (C drops to B, or goes up to C#). I'm not sure why it's not making micro tuning adjustments.

Any help (or a created ensemble) would be greatly appreciated.

See attached image for the routing. (I'd like the Mircro Tune Scale module to output pitchbend messages to the external synth)

midi micro.JPG

18. JED LARSON

JED LARSON New Member

Attached Files:

• c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views: