1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion "Pure Drip"

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by skinswashdc, Aug 19, 2019.

1. luneytunes

luneytunes NI Product Owner

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

YouTube also says Hitler is still alive and Hillary Clinton eats babies... soo.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

I'm not a big fan of a lot of rap today, but think it's awesome that Gipp got on one of ur beats. I love Gipp, Goodie Mob, Dungeon Family, etc. I really liked the Mutant Mindframe album back in the day.

• Like Like x 4
  4. luneytunes

I evolved to compete with today's producer. I gave Gipp a fresh new sound and in turn WeDF stay current like the 2020 Chevy Stingray. Also I can chop samples till Pete Rock wow and Boom Bap drum techniques to make Mark the 45 King proud! A complete student, balanced and deadly. That's why I welcome this Pure Drip. I want to help design a rayNman Make It rayN expansion soon.

Blessings to all my Maschine bros and sis

• Like Like x 2
  5. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

As for as the 808, no different when hearing techno kits as far it sounding basic and the same.

6. lwj|localspace

Yeah obviously. Which just proves my point, why waste money on sounds you can easily make yourself, or edit from ones you already have. It’s not like it’s rocket science.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. skinswashdc

That's really a users opinion and what they need. If that's the case I guess than just don't buy the expansion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I have been avoiding any controversial topic for a while but this one is close to my heart so I'll chime in.

First off... finally a fully modern hip-hop/trap expansion, this is the most popular sound in the world for quite a few years and all previous expansions that got close had a really strong EDM / Hybrid / Dubstep'ish flavor to them... Like any other expansion, it's not for everyone, it's not meant to. I really like specialized expansions instead of those who try to cover 8 genres.

Drip is just the new slang, give it more 5 years and there's going to be a new word that means the same, "Fresh" was a word with similar meaning 25 years ago, 15 years ago it was "swag" and so on...

As to why:
    Because not everyone can "make it themselves" or has time to, it might be basic for some but not for all, some of the sounds are highly processed, not everyone has audio engineering and sound design ambitions, some just like to make beats and that's ok. Not everyone is a pro and knows how to get things to sound a certain way or where certain sounds come from.
    It's also quite common and expected especially in the US market for a beatmaker/producer in studio sessions to be able to make a ton of beats "from scratch" very fast so "soundpacks" help a lot with that; generally artists couldn't care less if you programed your 808's in a synth from scratch or used a pre-processed sample. The soundpack market in hip-hop is gigantic, many beatmakers just love collecting them, this is something culturally unique to the genre.

Making it all alone doesn't validate art IMO, I am ok with loops, samples, session musicians, etc... clearly, a lot of people feel differently but if so any negative opinion about this expansion can be applied to any other ever released.

"It's basic and it all sounds the same" is something people often say when they dont like a genre, a connoisseur is able to spot the beauty of it in the tiniest of nuances but that requires liking it, if one doesn't like hotdogs then they will all taste the same.

• Like Like x 7
  9. lwj|localspace

Right again. It’s this user’s opinion. I don’t see why you’re trying to make a debate out of it? In fact, I don’t even see the debate.

10. skinswashdc

• Like Like x 1
  11. lwj|localspace

So much WINNING!!! Next you’re gonna tell me how big your big hands are!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. goridread

goridread NI Product Owner

Bought this. I like it. However - definitely disappointed about how the hi hat rolls in the patterns are samples instead of programmed in Maschine. Makes it less flexible and creative for me.

I like having the demo patterns for inspiration and creative accidents.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

Overall it sounds like a solid kit. I am glad to to see it happen. I'm pretty sure producers who specialize in Drip music Might find it a little lite but this is the first version.i diffently will be replacing sum of my old sounds with some of these because they are better quality ( less Eqing & work for me). Hopefully it will be a version 2 !!

I was kinda wondering why they used a La producer for this, instead of ATL producer ( Maybe because splice locked dem down allready ? )

• Like Like x 1
  14. luneytunes

EXACTLY!

I feel like they did it OUT OF THE BOX and realized they couldn't include the Gross Beat or my secret weapons OR they grabed a Splice sound and said F-it.
    I just went through MASCHINE TruTorials: Seasons 1-6 | Native Instruments

I feel like the guy who invented the JAM needed to be the face/hands of these videos and they should use ME or someone like me who paved the way for DRIP techniques too.
    And I feel like they have BEEN ignoring the PURE DRIP drippin from Atlanta(Insert unfair Akai MPC legacy video). If you reading this NI: I'm known for my Hi Hats and I payed for Jam, Maschine MK1-MK3, KKS61 MK1-MK2(all your Touch-Strip innovation); why am I reaching for Gross Beat or SugarBytes two years later?.........

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Same. I had a voucher laying around so I bought it for 25 bucks.

I liked it overall but I am quite disappointed that a lot of the drums in the Expansion Groups are sliced loops triggered as one-shots, simply because if the BPM doesn't match half the drums just play out of time... Not just Hit-Hat's, other things like Snares too. I never complained about an Expansion before.

No disrespect towards Snipe Young who is the producer behind the Expansion but I think there's is a huge issue with the approach of converting the producer's sounds/loops/midi into Expansions and I really hope this is not the how future expansions will be handled. If there are Drums then import the Sample and MIDI to the Pattern dont just slice an exported audio loop, especially slicing an Audio with 10 snares hits into 3 parts... SMH.

If the NI Expansion team is lazy then just put the loop into an Audio module that way at least it will sync to BPM (although Audio Module loops are definitively not what I am looking for when buying an Expansion, there's sounds.com for that, I would appreciate a difference between the two)

Expansions should be consistent, melodic content can be sliced or use the Audio Module but drums should not, they should be just MIDI triggering Samples IMO.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. goridread

goridread NI Product Owner

Yeah, I'm used to how the patterns are completely different from expansion to expansion - they're made by different people so it makes sense. Some seem played, with the patterns being non-quantized - some isn't, some have 10 patterns per group - some have 2. Etc. This one just seems lazy though.

• Like Like x 1