1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

New Laptop - any ideas ???

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by neodjandre, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neodjandre

neodjandre NI Product Owner

hello,

it's that time of the year to upgrade to a brand new laptop again (should I find some cash lying around)...

a couple of Qs for my thinking process

Shall i go for one of those new dual cores ??

Visual Display is much more important than I had imagined... I will need a bright crispy Display for the club ... my current dell 15" widescreen ... don't really like it ... what about the sony XVGA

RAM at 2GB and Hard Disk space of at least 100GB is a must !

that's it for now .. your ideas plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

2. LoungeLover

LoungeLover Forum Member

My advice is to get a Toshiba Satellite P105 or P100 series with the 17" Widescreen SXGA+ TruBrite™ display (1680x1050). You can get Core Duo processors and they can accept up to 4GB of RAM. Extended service plans are also available.

You can customize your model and get 20% off, along with 3 free items after rebate (USB flash drive, printer and case) all at http://www.toshibadirect.com.

If you want to see the Toshiba's for yourself, any Best Buy and Circuit City has them. Demo the Toshiba Satellite P105-S6084 (17") at Best Buy. This is considered a preconfigured, retail model. Toshibas are some of the best laptops available, have been in the laptop business for years. I also see them as the current "best bang for the buck."

Second to a Toshiba, I would recommend one of the high end HP laptops, unless you want to go Apple. I'd recommend a PowerBook G4 1.67 :).

Good luck in your decision!

LL

3. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

If you are gonna do PC then wait.
    If you are gonna do Mac then wait.

You wanna wait for the new Merom Porcessors to release to hit the channels for the PC line (about 3-4 weeks I think) Two thinngs will occur Merom will drive down older Core Duo prices big time! Lots of good values me thinks. Second thing is that if you've gots the readies the new Merom processor then waiting a few weeks will get you some initial info and a chance to get by initial price demands.

On the Mac front, the developer conference starts this week and the big question is whether Apple will soon change over to the new Meron (Core Duo 2 ) CPU's. No doubt in amongst all the other things announced this week we will either get the good word they will make a change soon, or not. If the change does occur soon wait for it to do so as the performance improvements and capabilities may be significant.

Phil

4. woofster59

woofster59 NI Product Owner

Any new thoughts on favorite laptops now that the Core Duo 2 has been out for a bit?

Any brands folks like? Any brand of laptop to avoid?

For myself, I am looking to spend $1700--2400 USD to replace my current powerful but humungous Acer. I want a slot for the Echo Indigo and maximum hard drive size. I prefer a Windows machine both because I am familiar with Windows and my other programs are Windows versions.

5. scrambled_egg81

scrambled_egg81 NI Product Owner

I just got my dell inspiron e1505 for a decent price. nothing too flashy, decently fast. the only irk I have with it is that it only has an express card slot (no PCMCIA in other words), but it's nothing a decent USB interface can't fix. :)

6. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

All the Core2 laptops I've seen so far are ExpressCard not PCMCIA.
    I get the feeling this is going to be a Fubar on the systems vendors part because the aftermarket guys are not rushing to jump on the Expresscard bandwagon and PC Card lives. I think its likely to be at least another year before express cards are in widespread use. In the meantime USB and Firewire will continue to gain traction. Part of the delay for Expresscard sound is the wait for a soundcard chipset that will properly support the new Windows WaveRT spec and UAA (Universal Audio Architecture).

Phil

7. adonispoly

adonispoly NI Product Owner

Well Phil there's a nice link to my next question, having just bought a core2duo Dell 640m laptop I have no Pcmcia card !! What is the soundcard for me? Anyone recommend a decent, but not too pricey USB 2 (or 1 for that matter) laptop soundcard? I was looking at the Edirol UA-1EX but can I have seperate mp3s playing at the same time?? 1 for montoring through the headphones and the other through the RCAs going to my speakers??

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=743&ParentId=114

8. Sean

Sean Forum Member

I'm in a similar position.

I'm seriously considering the NI Audio Kontrol.

The reviews are good - but I'm watching the forum for issues before I commit.

Incidently I'm very happy with the Dell XPS 1710 - best machine I've ever owned.

9. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

i'm with phil on this one, i'm waiting...
    my centrino's will hold up fine for the meantime till merom hits. i'm looking at it as a "matured duo core" more than anything. it should be solid.

10. Plutotype

Plutotype Forum Member

Hi,

The new Quad Core Intel Processors coming into DELL Notebooks in dec./jan 2007. My favourite is XPS1210 or one from the Latitude Series. Latitude D620 has not firewire, D420 has not optical drive, D820 its too big for me...But you will be maybe interested.
    My question is - is the Traktor written for this kind of Processors? Is there any advantage for buying quad core processors? Tests show that its performance is marvelous.

Plutotype

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.