New MacBook Pro ???

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bertotti, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

you can use multiple monitors.... so you can have effects and instruments open on their own monitors... not so important for Maschine, but nice for cubase or photoshop..... the only con so far is that native access takes so long, they really need to improve it so you can define the install location for each product install as well as save the files for offline installs... and bring back the add library to Kontakt.

samsung makes a good 512 external ssd to add to it.... you get better performance using a second drive... I like to keep my personal files and projects on an external...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Isn‘t this possible with every MacBook? Ok, then you need a specific dongle (for dual external display or more). So what is the real benefit of that good audio card regarding music software? More ports?

Sure, External SSD is a must have. Currently, I have a 750GB internal HDD and regarding that size I’m good with it.
    The most of my projects stored in a cloud to have a seamless access with MacBook and iMac. Even when loading sometimes takes a bit longer this is a useful measure to keep organized with more than one computer - as long you have access to internet. But you can also download a bunch of projects before the connection is lost.
    At least, I definetely don’t want to store K10 on an external drive that’s why I‘m looking for 512GB ;-)

Please keep me informed about your first trials with big sized Maschine-projects. I‘m pretty interested about the loudness of the fan and heating of the MBP. That’s why I asked for your previous computer - just to compare.

3. scheffkoch

scheffkoch NI Product Owner

"So what is the real benefit of that good audio card regarding music software? More ports?"

...ports, quality of the analog audio out and most of all a possible lower latency...

"I‘m pretty interested about the loudness of the fan and heating of the MBP."

...that's in fact the most overlooked thing with the new processors: the generate minor heat...i really can't hear the fans/computer anymore even with big projects (ableton + maschine vst)...

4. Supercreative

Ooh, I made a mistake: I wouldn’t asking for th audio card - I would ask for the high quality graphic card with 4GB vram. Till now I thought it’s not relevant for music production.

What for a MacBook do you use?

5. Supercreative

Maybe it’s a dumb question: Is there a way to setup a new Mac system by Time Maschine - data from an older Mac?
    Aim is to keep all installed apps and setups (including Maschine)

6. scheffkoch

scheffkoch NI Product Owner

...regarding the video card: this doesn't have any big (if any) impact for audio production...actually i opted for the base version when i ordered my late 2016 15'' mbp since imo the bigger/faster the graphic card the more heat it will produce...but there are other opinions on this...but what i can tell definitely is that i don't hear my laptop anymore...even on high load with the fans spinning i have to put my ear very close to the keyboard to be able to hear them...
    ...and yes...you could setup a mac from an old time machine backup but i'd do a clean install with a new computer and set up everything from scratch...this is the only way to get rid of corrupted files/data/prefs...actually i'll be doing a clean install when i upgrade to high sierra when it's on version .5 or so...a clean install is like cleaning your room...ha...

• Like Like x 1
  7. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

You can use migration assistant

• Like Like x 1
  8. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

the video card should not add much more heat if you are not really using it as 4g of ram is not much bigger than 2g of ram.... also, with UHD 4k tvs, you can use those as monitors and sit relaxed far away from the screen to reduce eye fatigue. https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-use-your-4k-tv-as-a-monitor/ nice with a bluetooth keyboard and a controller for relaxed mixing....

the thing about macbook pros and heat... the entire bodies are made of metal, not cheap thin metal over plastic like you see on many pc's, which dissipates the heat if it is place correctly, say on a metal table or a laptop stand with fans... the heat issue is a thing if of course you put it on your lap or on cloth or put plastic covers on it.

you can use migration assistant to transfer data, but sometimes you want to do it all clean. i choose not to do this and start totally clean since i still have my previous laptop, which i can transfer the files as i need them...

oh, keep kontakt 2.6.8 to use for adding libraries, otherwise you are in for a world of suck with native access. i have high speed internet and hard wired the ethernet and it still took 4 days (about 20 hours) just to install all the NI stuff... the problem is you have to go though the install process for each product to authorize unless you transfer the plist files, which still need to be corrected. it is a shortcoming that native access does not simple distribute the key files you select so you can simply point to the new locations with NA or maschine rather than have to install it all over again to generate these files.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

now having to re-install many things because Native access wrote bad pref files and it says it cannot find the libraries and when I use the relocate function and point it to the correct folder it fails. did this for many others then is suddenly was able to correct some of them... lame... 5 days so far of installing... with service center and k10u and 23 expansions it took about 3 hours last time,... with native access and k11u it has taken over 25 hours....

10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

If your system is old I would advise skipping migration assistant and installing everything fresh for a cleaner system.
    It's a good idea to do so every few years, its a bit time consuming but worth it IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

just as i was sitting down to actually do music on it, i had to re-install both the maschine factory library and previews because native access could not relocate them.... what happened, i changed the name of my hard drive from generic macitosh HD thinking i could simply change the paths is a couple of minutes... was able to do it with all others except the two listed... and monark and molecule did not work either the first couple of times... it is definitely a bug with native access because it did not even give me the re-install option at first, i had to keep re-opening it and selecting repair until it finally gave the reinstall option... fortunately i had saved the download of previews, and am now downloading the entire machine library to get one that is already up to date..... these large libraries need to be easily saved when you use native access... could you imagine if i only had wifi and had to re-instll and re-download these... there goes another 2 days... and i was actually beginning to have positive thoughts about native access.

please forward these bugs to NI:

native access: can have issues where it is unable to resolve a library or install location if location is changed preventing the new location from being updated if location has changed. repair function has intermittent issues that will prevent options of re-install or re-locate to appear.

cause; after renaming internal macbook pro drive the above issues appeared.

environment. mac, everything up to date latest.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

There is one other tbing, the mk3 is not usb c. For a new device, the mk3 should have been usb c. They could have included the extra legacy usb cable as well... I decided to go not bother with adapters and just get the real devices. The catch is, the adapters have issues with power so the old mk1 and mm2 may have power issues using a c adapter.

What is annoying is all the adapter cable are dong les with short cables the can hang off a small table. Have not found and 1 meter us c to usb 3 a adapter cables... also, there is heat build up on the adapters. .. so you want the cable type

• Like Like x 1
  13. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

14. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I don’t think it should be usb c just because Macs have them. I know some PCs have them. Usb 2.0 or 3 is fine. Not everybody has a usb c port.

15. CakeAlexS

Er nope! o_O. You can plug in USB-C devices into any PC or Mac.

USB C (female socket) should be within the Maschine controller itself. We would plug a USB-C cable into this. The other end of that cable can be any socket USB you like, USB C, standard USB, whatever. If NI was nice they could supply appropriate cables.

Most new mobiles have USB C in them (well apart from Apple probably. Not adopting USB-C everywhere is just dumb in 2017/18 - it needs to be widely adopted.

BTW PC's have had USB C a lot longer than MAC.

16. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

yes, macs are way behind... .... why is not the mk3 usb3.,,, i like the usb c connector better... perhaps if a usb c port was used in the mk3 there would have been space for a send i/o.

at the least, this should have been in the box...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  17. Chilled

Chilled NI Product Owner

Classic. Yes I own a MBP but I bought a mint 2014 on Ebay last year due to these issues as well as being cost effective. If I had to buy a new Mac now I would buy the 27" iMac with ports and memory I can add in.

18. D-One

19. CakeAlexS

I say go mad and update everything without a care in the world!!
    Just make sure you do FULL backups first.

Er what he said though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. D-One

I kind of do that, except instead of a backup I install new major OS's on a separate HD, test things out for a few days then i do it in the main drive.
    I do check some forums to make sure the apps/hardware I own are compatible, updates for those used to take up to 1 or 2 months now it seems a lot faster.