1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New MacBook Pro ???

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bertotti, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

yes, I love it. it performs great like a desktop. about to order the apogee ensemble, whom I just chatted with about the thunderbolt 2 vs 3 and they guaranteed it to work with the apple adapter. wish though, there was just a t3 to t2 cable as the adapters are annoying because the cables are not long enough and create a cluttered bulk of potential interference next to your laptop.

I decided to get the mbp 3.1 and the apogee ensemble instead of the iMac pro. going back to a external hardware.

I do not plan on buying another laptop quite a while now, so it may have seemed a bit pricey, per year of use it balances out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NativeBass

NativeBass New Member

I agree. Plus as far as computers go, I've used it with the MacBook air just fine so not sure why MacBook pro would have any issues. Heck the experience should be a tad bit better too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

there is said to be issues with the apple adapters for thunderbolt 3 to 2, in that the daisy chain may not work. also the apple video adapter for usbc to hdmi is said to be terrible. the thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter also does not support display port, like thunderbolt 2 did, it only support thunderbolt monitors.

4. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

issues so far:

mk1 is not compatible with maschine 2.7.2 and high sierra on a usb c mac book pro

maschine 2.7.2 with mk3 does not retain the audio settings after quit and reverts back to the system default of the system audio.

using a second monitor with hdmi can cause the fans to run, briefly on and off. this occurred while using adobe lightroom which does use the gpu and vram as well for processing. reading via google search indicates it is an issue with sierra that was inherited by high sierra and has something to do with earlier non mst monitors and tvs, and the issue does not occur with os 10.11. apple say behaviour is okay and in my case the fans were only on briefly and seemed to be caused by browsing pictures previews fast... the graphics are wicked fast, a happy gamer would be.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

I also noticed that. A Maschine template (in preferences for using at every start up) should keep the audio settings. I‘ll try that later.

6. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

but it does retain the audio settings of the last used device in 10.11... it may be you have to set it as the system device or boot with it connected.. not sure if the template would work since it does not save that info with the project files...

7. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Tried it. It works as expected:
    Audio device, I/O, samplerate/buffer size, Master out/vol, cue out/vol, bpm.....
    I´m fine with it :)

8. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

wonder if the last project used would follow the same protocol if it was saved with that sound card and it was present...

9. djbeatmaster

djbeatmaster NI Product Owner

acquired a Zoom UAC-2 USB 3 audio interface some weeks ago. works well with my 2011 MBP and with the 2017 MBP. 2ms latency with a buffer size of 64. the USB 2 isn't a bottleneck apparently. and i use a USB-C 3.1gen2 to USB-B cable on the new MBP. FWIW

10. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Eeek...i owned a Zoom UAC-8 for my Windows 8 laptop ( at the time) and the drivers were terrible. Snap, crackly pop city. Had to return it , and traded it for a RME Babyface....haven't looked back since....although I am windows not mac, but still...RME kicks ass.

11. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

my new macbook pro would be perfect if there was a stand for the mk3. right now i cannot even use my mk3 or even maschine that much because of no stand and NI preventing the mk1 from working on post 27 september 2017 macs.

similar issue i had last time i bought a new mac, i could not use maschine for the first 2 months because it was not yet compatible with the new OS and crashed every few minutes.

so going forward, NI, where is the mk3 stand..

12. djbeatmaster

not sure which firmware and driver you had at the time, but i get a roundtrip of 3.9ms (buffer size of 64, 24/96) or 4.7ms (128 samples) in Logic Pro X 10.4.
    no audio issues at all.
    but i would hope that the device costing 3-4 times as much would be good.
    But this topic is about macOS, USB-3 vs. USB-2, and USB-C afaik ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  13. scheffkoch

scheffkoch NI Product Owner

...your roundtrip values are different because you've set up your system at 96khz....try 44khz and you'll have comparable values...the thing with rme is that their drivers are so stable that you can use their devices with very low buffersizes and the system is still stable/without glitches whereas a lot other companies claim theoretical roundtrip values that don't work in real life...you can check out real life values here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...ace-low-latency-performance-data-base-52.html

14. scheffkoch

scheffkoch NI Product Owner

15. djbeatmaster

i went through that gearslutz thread several times during months, and there are exceptions in his list. like zoom devices.
    his reference system is a windows 7 machine. different drivers, no ASIO fun. ;)
    the roundtrip times with 24/44.1 are 6ms (64 samples) or 8.9ms (128 samples). as mentioned, that's what logic pro x tells me.
    also, this is not me trying to sell something. disclaimer before it starts to sound like it.