1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

New Maschine Expansion and Kontakt instrument from MSXII

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Captain Blasto, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2
  2. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

3. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

Used my last evoucher code, got the two for $48.50

4. dubflux

dubflux NI Product Owner

How did you manage this hi-d-ho-man. I tried bit it said it couldn't be used for these sale purchases..

5. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Might have been a lucky bug because items part of a limited offer cannot be purchased with vouchers :/

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

Looks like I got lucky

Attached Files:

7. dubflux

dubflux NI Product Owner

Yeah, well done. I'd definitely buy at that price.. Bit out of my range other wise. Enjoy..)

8. Captain Blasto

After a few days with these, I am very pleased. MSXII is one of my favorite sound design companies out there. When I first got started making music on my iPad their apps and BeatMaker kits were an early source of inspiration. I’ve bought a few sample packs from them and been really happy with the quality, but these are next level. I haven’t been able to stay away from Maschine all week. Money well spent.

9. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

Do you still use a IPad and Beatmaker 3 to make beats? How does making beats in Beatmaker 3 compare to Maschine?

10. Captain Blasto

BM3 is cool for what it is, but if you’re already used to working with Maschine you might find it kind of limiting. It can host other plugins, which is great. I personally think arranging in it is even worse than Maschine. It also isn’t seeing regular updates anymore. There’s a lot of bugs that haven’t been fixed and many requested features that are being ignored. I think the project is pretty much dead. Lots of internal drama with the dev team from what I’ve heard.

iMaschine is much more limited on iOS than even BM3, given it can’t host other plugins, etc. But it has a similar workflow to the desktop version and you can easily export your projects in the correct format. Additionally, Cubasis is a full-fledged iOS DAW that is still getting love from the developers. Cubasis 2 can be had for pretty cheap now that version 3 is out.

Basically, if iOS is all you’re working on, BM3 can be a great tool to get things done, but don’t count on it being stable or seeing regular updates anymore. If you’re using iOS devices just to quickly sketch ideas on the go and then bounce them over to the desktop, I would recommend iMaschine instead.

11. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I am very surprised by this, are you saying that because you prefer the iMaschine workflow?
    How unstable is BM3, it crashes a lot?

I dont have an iPad but I was under the impression that BM3 is a lot more feature-rich than iMaschine since it has a linear Arranger, Sample slicer, MIDI Piano Roll, Slice Stretching, etc...
    BM3 last update was on Oct 2019, that's just 4 months, it had new features and bug fixes while iMaschine hasn't had an update with improvements since 2016, it doesn't seem like it has anything new ever since it was released... all they do is add support for newer iPads. From an outside perspective, it's iMaschine that looks "dead".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  12. Captain Blasto

As mentioned, BM3 is definitely a lot more feature-rich than iMaschine, but when it comes to arranging a track, I personally think it is even more frustrating than Maschine (desktop or iOS). The sampler in BM3 is great, I do think the workflow is pretty intuitive overall, and there are a lot of other things I do like about BM3. But when it comes to turning a loop into a track, in my experience it has been frustrating to the point of just putting it down and using something else. And I feel like that's saying something coming from someone who uses Maschine, lol.

That update last October was the first one it had received nearly all year. It didn't add much in the way of new features, fixed some critical bugs but left others persisting, and the development is being handled by basically a single person now who is not the original creator of the app. I don't anticipate that it'll see any more significant updates or a version 4, and most of the iOS music making community seems to have moved on in frustration. I would not recommend spending money on it in 2020 unless something significant changes behind the scenes.

iMaschine is super basic and not at all meant for making full-fledged tracks, either. Don't get me wrong. But if you're just using it as a sketchpad to bounce ideas to desktop Maschine later, I think it works pretty great for that since everything's already formatted correctly and ready to go, pulling from a lot of the same sample libraries as the desktop expansions.

• Informative Informative x 1