New patches/soundbanks for FM8?

Discussion in 'FM8' started by Dapper, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dapper

Dapper New Member

Love FM synthesis. Still have my DX7II-FD. Just got FM8. Anyway, I'm just wondering where I can find new patches/soundbanks for it, besides the Experience Soundbank that TommyBear just posted. I looked around and I guess NI doesn't have any expansion packs, besides the FM7 stuff that comes with FM8.

2. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

I have googled for them too.
    This guy made brilliant patches (especially Footprints and In Memoriam) for FM7 that you can import in FM8 if you're lucky, there have been import issues since FM8 1.03.
    http://www.bearnaomh.es/patches.asp
    Dan Broad is good as well
    http://rekkerd.org/patches/sound-designer/dan-broad/

The Gravehill soundbanks are good too, to be found at KVR:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=list&what=108&format=&order=date

Summa used to have a good one I heard and I like this one: http://www.kreativsounds.com/ks-abyss-fm8-sounds/

3. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

4. CS_TBL

CS_TBL Forum Member

There's one major disadvantage with FM8 libraries. Why, I don't know, but they either contain dated DX/TX sounds or genuine/new FM8-sounds that are anything but useful. Often it's too big, too small, too dry, too noisy, too 'soundeffects', too harsh, too odd. Very little offerings in a real musical context, as in: sounds you can actually use. Such practical sounds are often very basic, that's true, but in the end: it's such sounds you will be using in a project, not the extreme ones or the geeky ones.

I've yet to be amazed by such libraries.. and why? I dunno..

5. nielsdolieslager

It depends on the style. I can imagine making long tracks with the Bearnaomh patches. If I had time :)

6. Dapper

Dapper New Member

Yep, I'm sure there's a lot of dead weight in sound banks for the FM8. That's the way it was all those years ago when I was trying to collect good stuff for my DX7II-FD. Back then, I finally realized that the best stuff was from Sound Source Unlimited. I got all they had for the DX7II and will soon load it into FM8.

7. nielsdolieslager

I went looking for their patches rightaway and I can't find them on the internet, if people converted them, they didn't share them :)

8. TommyBear

TommyBear Forum Member

This is something that I had in mind while I was doing my sounds for FM8 - I wanted that one could use the sounds in real conditions, not just be left with some interesting but not really helping sound design inventions. However, I think it is more often said that new-made sounds should be rather sort of never-could-think-of-it-was-possible. I guess it's good to be somewhere in between casual, usable and innovative, never-heard-of. Just to broaden what one has, but still make it possible to take advantage.

9. Dapper

Dapper New Member

Yeah, I don't think they're around anymore. Fortunately, I still have my DX7II-FD and my old SSU disks. One thing about the patches for the DX7II - pretty much everything is designed to be used as a "performance", which usually means combining 2 patches for the intended sound. I don't think FM8 allows playing more than one patch at a time. In most of the SSU stuff the 2 patches in a performance were very similar, sometimes close to being identical. I guess you could find the best one of the duo and just use it with a chorus effect to get about the same result. Or you could also run 2 instances of FM8 at the same time with bank A in one FM8 and bank B in the other. I'm just thinking out loud...
    ---
    OK, I downloaded some of these files you guys suggested of sounds for FM8. I extracted eveything from the zip files and I ended up with some .f7a files. I couldn't get FM8 to import them, so what do I do with them? How do I get them into FM8?

10. nielsdolieslager

I don't know about combining patches in FM8. You can put two FM8's in Bidule for example :)

Well, first you try File -> "import from fm7" and select the file.
    If you get an error message, it's because FM8 has been having import problems since version 1.04 and NI's not fixing it.
    So second, write support for help. Send them the .f7a files and request they convert them for you since FM8 is supposed to be capable of importing sysex, fm7 & fm8 koresound files.
    Third, pm me your email address and I can send you zip files with the koresound versions.

11. Dapper

Dapper New Member

Thanks nielsdolieslager - I finally figured it out. Since I'm a newbie with FM8, I get easily confused. : )

I'm still trying to figure out how to send patches or banks direct to FM8 from my DX7II-FD. That would be awesome.

12. mikeyohare

mikeyohare New Member

13. musos

musos NI Product Owner

There are lots of old DX7 patches out there and if you're prepared to sift through tons of trash (as mentioned above), you'll find lots of good basic sounds.

For example:
    http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~mth192/html/dx7.html (scroll down to Patches)

My standard tips for making old DX7 patches sound great in FM8:

1) Go to the <Easy> page and lift the Stereo Width - works magic!
    2) If possible, increase the output volume. Most old patches are too soft.
    3) Tweak velocity sensitivity on some operators - makes the patches more "live"
    4) Add reverb or delay etc - season to taste.

I also often reduce the detune parameter as many patches sound far
    "tighter" when this is decreased. A slow chorus works a lot better on
    a pad patch than a hideous detune which renders the sound irritating
    and incompatible with other instruments.

14. Realkuhl

Realkuhl NI Product Owner

New Patches for FM8

I have a library called the PlugInGuru Power pack for FM8. It's sold very well and everybody seems to be quite happy with the new sounds. They are in your face dance production type of patches - all have the Arp and Morph pad dialed in for additional sonic mayhem.

www.PlugInGuru.com

I also have a number of tutorials on my YouTube channel for FM8, Massive, Absynth 5 and Razor: www.YouTube.com/thepluginguru

Hope self-promotion is okay!

- John Lehmkuhl
    www.PlugInGuru.com

15. Lotuzia

Lotuzia New Member

Thanks Arachnaut ;)

Gloss Spells contains 260+ patches. And there are tons of audio demos on the site, at the bottom of the page.

More details here : http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91

We jsut released another soundbank for the FM8, made by Nori Ubukata, who populated many Yamaha hardware synths factory libraries : Legendary collection

It contains 300 new instruments, and there again you can listen to a lot of audio demos on the site.

http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_33&products_id=92

There's also currently an intro price for the soundset.

Both soundsets contain ony usefull patches. At least imho, but just listen to the dems and make our own :)

Thanks for reading,

LtZ

16. nielsdolieslager

Getting impatient here. I heard all sorts of Prince like sounds that I liked so I paid for it. Payment is accepted but the order has been pending for over 9 hours.
    ---
    okay, got it :)

17. Lotuzia

Lotuzia New Member

Hi Niels,

Thanks for your order

Yes I just sent it to you. All soundbanks are delivered manually, and your order came in ........ during the -French- night :)

Hope you'll like the Legendary Collection soundset, and yes its full of classic instruments :)

LtZ