New Retina Macbook Pro - USB3.0 Compatible?

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by makar1, Jun 11, 2012.

1. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Just saw the news on the new Macbook Pro and it seems to only have USB 3.0 ports.

Using USB3.0 ports on my Windows desktop doesn't seem to work with NI audio interfaces at all (A2DJ, S4) which instantly go into a 'panic' state when used.

Will the new macbook have the same problem, and are NI working on USB 3.0 compatible drivers for their interfaces?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Ves

Ves NI Product Owner

That's weird. USB 3.0 ports are suppose to be backward compatible.

3. mitsui

mitsui New Member

Yes. Interested to know what are any compatibility issues with USB3.

4. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Hopefully it's a driver problem rather than a hardware incompatibility..
    I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of USB3 only laptops soon.

5. KristjanV

KristjanV New Member

USB 3.0 issue

Hello ! I just bought new PC - Asus N56VZ - all 4 USB ports are superspeed / USB 3.0. My Audio 8 DJ does not work no matter which driver I am using - v.3.0.3, v3.0.0 or older 2.0.15. Shortly after connecting device and starting Traktor i am receiving BSOD ! In first place i thought that there is something wrong with OS but it looks i am not the only one who has problems. When NI will solve USB 3.0 compatibilty problems with NI hardware ? Rane-Serato annouced already in 2010 their software-hardware compatibilty with USB 3.0 !

6. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

they'll be working on it... however, ATM i would not recommend to someone buying sth with an usb3 port...

7. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

They better hurry up all new laptops now come with USB. Time for NI to pony up for some new I house test machines and work all this out.
    :)

8. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

I heard that they would have both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports on the new MAC...or was that a dream ...?..... hang on ....oh yeah Carmen Electra was the sales assistant... I dreamt it ..sorry...!

9. Baloo

Baloo New Member

Well that's stuffed me up!

Having got Traktor as a present a couple of months ago and loved it, despite having to use it on my work laptop which is just awful at times (Dell!), I decided to hang on buying a MBP because of the fact that a new version was due out.

The fact that all new MBPs have USB 3 only is just a bit of a disaster for me! I was proper looking forward to some shiny new kit and being able to play music without massive dropouts and having to reboot my S2 at least 4 times each session.

I would assume this is a bit of a serious issue for NI isn't it? Any official line as to what their thoughts are / timelines for a fix?

Has anyone actually bought a new MBP and tested it yet?

10. davscanlon

davscanlon NI Product Owner

The New Macbook Pro has 2 USB ports, both support USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Apple have been able to integrate these two ports together into one, instead of having separate ports for 3.0 and 2.0.

11. Baloo

Baloo New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response, and please don't think I'm doubting you, but where have you heard that? I've been searching about for a while and not seen anything on the ports being dual function.

(Just checking that it really WASN'T anything to do with Carmen Electra in some bizarre mass-dream type affair!) ;)

12. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

Rather than create a new topic, I'll ask my question here as it pertains to the new Retina display Macbook pro. I simply would like someone to post pics of TSP 2.1 or newer on a new Retina display Macbook Pro 15 inch screen with extended view. I would like to see how much "screen real estate" there is for TSP. It's not always better to have higher resolution. PLEASE, this is NOT a Mac vs PC request. It's just a simple request if someone has gotten their hands on the new Mac. (I assume this won't have replies for at least a few weeks).

13. davscanlon

Apple website, the pics show the USB port with the label USB 2.0/3.0

and I watched the whole keynote presentation by Apple.

How do like them Apples? (Sorry, I couldn't resist) ;)

14. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

This will be referring to the backwards-compatibility of the USB 3.0 ports. The wiring and controller system of USB3 is completely different to USB2 so I seriously doubt Apple would waste putting some sort of dual-controller system (if this is even possible) on any of their systems, let alone a space-restricted Macbook.
    (For the record, there is no mention of USB 2.0 anywhere on the spec sheet of the Retina MBP on the Apple website)

I haven't tried using a NI interface through USB3 on Mac OS though so it may behave differently than on Windows.
    As for screen real estate, I've seen screenshots of games working at the full 2880x1800 resolution so I'd assume Traktor will be able to also. The scale will likely be too small to be usable though.

15. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

The problem w/ the 3.0 ports seems to be a driver issue. Someone on here completely reformatted their computer w/ 3.0 ports, and when installing the device drivers, installed 2.0 drivers ONLY, and they were then able to use them w/o any problems.

It was explained on here how Traktor uses a certain system that makes 2.0 faster (isochronous streaming, or something like that), and for whatever reason, the issues aren't ironed out yet w/ 3.0

16. davscanlon

It is different, you are right, but Apple have managed to do it, in the presentation they explain that other laptops usually have two ports, with the 3.0 a different colour, but they have managed to do it with backwards compatibility.

See pic of the keynote

Attached Files:

17. davscanlon

18. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Hmm..the presentation on stage was ambiguous at best, but during the video Bob Mansfield made no mention of any USB2 when going through the specs.
    Added to the fact that Apple makes no mention of USB2 on their website I'd still assume for the moment that the ports are standard USB3.

Either way, NI have no excuse for not providing proper USB3 support which is clearly non-existant at this point.

19. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

I think everyone's jumping to ahead. We need some people who have the laptops to test the ports.

OSX is not Windows maybe everything will work fine?

For windows, it think everyone should work out what brand usb3 everyone has collate the findings and push for newer drivers plus push NI to work quickly on the issue.

20. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Of course in the case of the new MBP the best thing to do would be to test it.

But there are plenty of Windows laptops already now on the market with exclusively USB3 ports, for example one of the posters on the first page of this thread.
    People who buy these laptops are still unable to use any NI audio hardware despite the USB3 standard having been available for 2 years.

As for the USB brands, I have both the Intel Z77 chipset controlling 4 USB3 ports and an ASMedia controller for a further 2 USB3 ports.