News this week - MusikMesse Frankfurt

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by PhilL, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

This week is MusikMesse Frankfurt MusikMesse Frankfurt Site

You'll want to check back right here on Wednesday at Noon CET for some excellent news for Traktor Scratch.

Phil

2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

3. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

4. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

5. PhilL

Sorry would have posted earlier but was busy debugging silk performer scripts....
    And now for the news. The Korg Zero 4 is on the certified list! Yes!!!
    I know what mixer I'm getting now it has Korg written all over it.;) I had planned on getting the DJM800, till I saw the Zero 4 and held off. Now its time to get the Dollars saved!

Personally I think the Traktor Certified and Ready programs are an excellent idea, Hopefully it will help spur other manufacturers to get on the case too.

The Press kits for the March 27 2007 announcements can be downloaded here...
    Native Instruments Press Info

Phil

6. AudioRapture

I have to ask, though: Doesn't this "Certified" logo program fly in the face of the "solution out of 1 hand" argument that was so often invoked when removing SA2 time-code support? I mean, what is so incredibly different about this? OK, the obvious answer: SA2 isn't a mixer. But still. Or do all these "certified" solutions actually have an NI audio interface inside?

7. PhilL

I have received two email this morning asking similar questions and here is the deal with regard to Traktor "Certified" mixers.

NI have defined a set of certification requirements that need to be
    met by the mixer. Native Instruments tests the requirements in-house. When the requirements are met, required support is enabled in TRAKTOR Scratch. The certification can not be declared by a manufacturer on its own.

Does that help clarify at least a part of the puzzle?
    Phil

8. AudioRapture

Phil, 2 follow-up question for 250, please.

1) Are there any plans to certify sound cards?

2) The argument in the past was "you *have* to use A8DJ with Scratch"! Now that argument isn't valid anymore - does that mean that NI always felt that the SA2 was too "weak" for Traktor, but took both Stanton's (for FinalScratch) and the user's (for T2.6 and T3) money, anyway?
    Otherwise, it should be grand-fathered in - it has a long history with Traktor, and is like the A8DJ "just a soundcard" - with phono pre-amps.

(yes, I know it's rehashing old arguments, but NI's story has just changed, so you know those questions will be coming)

9. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

10. PhilL

I don't know for certain about Soundcard certification but I believe at present the answer is no. I will ask though to be sure.

Regards point 2: What statement made today leads you to the conclusion / understanding that the case for the A8DJ as the only device supporting DVS input is invalid now?

I ask this because the Scratch Certification system today ONLY applies to Mixers and if people draw the wrong conclusions about what is meant by this then we will need to take care to clearly indicate / articulate the certification system is not a general scratch hardware certification program... TODAY!
    That does not mean the cert program will or _won't_ expand over time, it just means today, it applies to mixers only.

I do NOT know what the long term plans are, and it would be quite wrong for me to speculate as to long term intent as it would be to lead people down the garden path on this by implying Soundcard certification is coming, as I don't know.

True the story has changed somewhat but the previous position regards Soundcard support for DVS input (A8DJ only) remains in place.

Phil

11. AudioRapture

nohiphop already answered this in quartz's thread. It's this phrase on the NI pages about the certification and the Scratch Upgrade product:
    "TRAKTOR SCRATCH Certified mixers already include a high end audio interface, making the AUDIO 8 DJ audio interface (included in the full version of TRAKTOR SCRATCH) unnecessary."

EDIT: I'd be happy to carry this over to the other thread, btw.

12. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

@ Phil

Could we get the certification statements moved the other post.

Then delete this post, Thanks.

13. PhilL

Given this statement, I agree this opens up interesting possibilities, if legal issues can be or are already set aside...

There is much to digest here, especially in light of what has been said in other threads about this matter. Some of which is... shall we say... very upsetting :-(

Phil

14. djneural

djneural NI Product Owner

Hi,

I see you're working closer with hardware makers now.

However I'm quite shocked not to see Kontrol-DJ among the supported mixers as KDJ is a quite high quality midi mixer (or call it controller) and includes all the software required to work with Traktor 3, including quite mature TKS files, in contrary to the Nuo which I also have and which TKS files are a mess :).

The only thing this mixer lacks is Traktor 3 controlled LEDs. It looks like the KDJ can do that but it's not implemented yet.

Is there something that didn't match your certification criteria with KDJ or is it just a question of time?

Regards

15. PhilL

I believe, though I have not seen the Cert requirements for Scratch Certified is Audio Mixer with Midi Capabilities and built in Audio Interface. Kontrol DJ would qualify under the "Traktor Ready" program I think.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.