1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

NHL mapping expert questions

Discussion in 'KONTROL X1' started by Chardonnay, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chardonnay

Chardonnay NI Product Owner

Hi there!

I strongly consider to buy one Kontrol X1. I am an experienced MIDI mapper but I am new to the NHL mode.

It would be great if one of the NHL experts out there could give me short answers to the following questions:

1.) Can the original NHL template shipped with the X1 be completely modified with the TP Controller Manager (not the NI Controller Editor)? I can use Modifiers and Macros in NHL mode as I would do in MIDI mode? Right?

2.) Is it possible to use NHL mode and MIDI mode with TP at the same time? That is: I switch to MIDI mode on the X1 and can use a completely different layer? Or is it necessary to (additionally) load another preset in the TP Controller Manager? The aim is to have four layers with one X1:

- NHL
    - NHL + Shift
    - MIDI
    - MIDI + Shift

And I switch between NHL and MIDI mode by simply pressing Shift + Hotcue?

3.) I guess that it is possible to define 8 additional layers in NHL mode by using all eight available Modifiers and assigning them to buttons in the well-known Modifier-Toggle mode. Right?

4.) The NI Controller Editor (not the TP Controller Manager) only allows me to change the MIDI CCs and Notes etc in MIDI mode. It is of no help for the NHL mode?

5.) With the NI Controller Editor, however, I could use different MIDI channels to define different mapping layers? But then I can use the MIDI mode only? Right?

Thanks a lot for answering these questions!

2. AZ Mills

AZ Mills NI Product Owner

This question in it's entirety is of interest to me as well. Thank you :)

3. Frace

Frace Forum Member

1: I think you can only edit the sent midi messages.

2: Yes its exactly like that.

3: If you really want that...sure.

4: As i said in Point 1, i think you can only edit the MIDI Messages.

I think you don't need to edit the NHL messages because there's no way of Two devices sending the same signals, however, in some Applicatiopns it could be possible that you can't have several MIDI mappings devoted to devices so that your midi functions overlap with the ones of another device and that's why there's the Controller editor.

5: you could use different midi channels but that is unnecessary in Traktor since you use Modifiers.

Or do you mean that you want to create shift buttons outside of Traktor using modifiers?

4. Chardonnay

Hi Frace!

Thx for your fast reply! However, I think you misunderstood the questions #1 and #2 a little bit...

1.) Here I am talking about changing the NHL mapping (not MIDI) by using the Controller Manager built in TP (and not the additional Controller Editor software). Is it possible to change the original NHL mapping?

2.) This point is of the greatest importance for me! The manual only states that in the MIDI mode you can control TP before 1.2.3 or other software or hardware. But I want to control TP 1.2.6 BOTH in NHL and MIDI mode, thus doubling the number of layers! Is this possible?

The idea is to use the original NHL mapping (only some minor modifications like tree browsing) and to use the MIDI layer for completely new functions like EQs, tempo and key changing using the encoders, preview player, etc. I have a lot of ideas which I already implemented on my EKS Otus! Did you actually try this or do you just think that this should be possible?

Sorry for asking so explicitly, but this is really important for me!

5. Frace

Frace Forum Member

1: Sorry i misread that, i double checked and still thought you meant the Controller Editor, my bad.

-> Yes you can do that.

2: Yes, as I said this is possible

6. AZ Mills

Thank you both. This helpful to me too.

7. Chardonnay

Thank you very much, Frace! These are very good news!

And thank you AZ Mills for your support!

Just a quick final question:

To use the X1 both in NHL and MIDI mode, I have to add the Kontrol X1 in the TP Controller Manager under "Device"

- using the "Traktor > Kontrol X1" submenue (for NHL) and
    - using "Generic MIDI" menue (for MIDI)

Right?

What about the In- and Out-Ports? Are they the same? Namely Kontrol X1? No conflict?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

8. Frace

Frace Forum Member

If you use the Setup wizard or restore it the x1 will be premapped, if you want to create a custom mapping yes you add it that way.

But sinc you only want to change some things you should use the existing mapping

To add it as a midi device you will have to add it like you said.

There won't be any inteference doing that.

9. Chardonnay

So, I just ordered the X1!

Frace, thank you very much for your help! This was very kind of you!

10. Frace

Frace Forum Member

Thanks, I'm sure you will like the X1 :)

11. AZ Mills

Thanks for all of the useful info guys.
    I'm currently running my setup with one X1, an M Audio X Session Pro (the 2 most important) and a Novation Nocturn. There's confusion between the Nocturn & the X Sessio Pro as they're both midi & I have to sort out multiple control assignments to a single parameter. I'm confident I'll get it sorted given time.

I just purchased Maschine & I'm trying to figure out if I can run that side by side with the X1 in NHL mode. Does anyone know about this? Or will I just have to add it as another midi device. I'd like to avoid that if possible.
    Thanks

12. Frace

Frace Forum Member

You have to use Maschine in Midi mode.

If you generate a generic Midi Device for each Device and select the iIn and Out not Global but specific for the Device there shouldn't be any Problems with having the same commands if that's what you have.

13. AZ Mills

Thanks Frace. I'll look for that.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

What Frace said. I have remapped some stuff in NHL mode so all good there. NOTE however that the hotcue buttons do NOT work in midi mode. In NHL mode you activate hotcue by pressing the hotcue button. In midi mode this is not possible. Everything else works as you would expect. :)

15. Chardonnay

Thx, Czi DJ for the info.

I expected that the Hotcue Button does not work in MIDI mode. However, I hope that the Shift button WILL work in MIDI mode! Right?

Since there is no MIDI command assignable to the Shift button in the Controller editor, I assume that Shift is hard-wired. (Otherwise, I just could have used it as a Modifier button.) But I hope that Shift is available in MIDI mode anayway.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Yep. Shift works just fine. Just the hotcue buttons that become inaccessable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.