1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

NI is going to subscribtion based payment model. What do you think?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Tomess, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Scoox

Scoox NI Product Owner

LOL that cracked me up

My opinion is that the subscription model doesn't necessarily translate to speedier development. It really depends on the product. For instance, let's pretend Kontakt has become the de facto sample player, everyone's using it and there's nothing else that comes close. Users are asking for a feature and NI is not listening. Users decide to retaliate by cancelling their subscription but... how are they going to play their sample libraries which they have already invested so much time and money in, let alone open existing projects in which instances of Kontakt were used, etc? Some users will accept it, others will look elsewhere.

I think there's no reason the traditional model and the subscription model can't coexist. I'd say offer both and let users pick what they like. The subscription model may be more lucrative but if users don't like it they will eventually look elsewhere.

Perhaps the main benefit of the subscription model is that it would incentivize NI to keep updating plugins if users continue to pay the subscription. The downside is that, if they decide to drop support for a plugin, then what do users do?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

IMHO optional subscription especially to buy is win win, people who couldn't otherwise afford it get a chance to join the eco system without any loss. Current users have a choice for which suits their finances best.
    Mandatory subscription is very appealing to the inner greed of the company. Without paying the subscription users are well and truly anglo saxoned and however much users call for something they have the luxury of not listening (well some companies have that luxury already :D). That is an eco system users are much better avoiding if possible.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  4. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

The Bitwig subscription model is the best one so far.
    Another option that some company should implement is something on the lines of a 1.0 increment model, where you pay a fee monthly or all at once for a version number, someone on the subscription can always keep paying, and once you reach a version number if you cannot pay anymore for various reasons, then you own the version that you stopped payment at.

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Reason (the software that once was stubborn and didn't want to follow standards or trends) joined the rent to own train.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

subscription could be ok for things $10 a month and if you get "everything" but everyone hates an extra bill in the mail I can usually come up with the $700 for a new toy but I hate having the nagging feeling of bills.No BILLS please.

7. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

For me the best subscription model approach is max7 (IDK if they keep holding it) where they proposed instabuy or subs (less than 10$/month) but you can use full version for free without save feature. So you can purchase a month, build your plugin, not purchase anymore and use the plugin you created or others... without saving changes if you haven’t the license/subs.

Genius.

8. seedoflife

seedoflife NI Product Owner

Great points!

9. Chilled

Chilled NI Product Owner

If it was subscription only then "Adios".

• Like Like x 3
  10. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

A bit OT here but Reason was another software that was great at what it did, then people started complaining about wanting audio tracks and plugins and delay compensation and etc etc. It got way worse once they moved away from the core functionality.

11. laszlozoltan

laszlozoltan NI Product Owner

it might be a dilemma for the perpetually starving artist; but not a real musician...
    consider a mediocre drummer behind a most expensive drum kit vs a talented one on a crap set, one of the two is going home to a nice meal the other to an empty fridge- hunger wins eventually for most folk

12. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I like subscription. It depends on what your looking for. Roland Cloud is a good value for what you get. It's a must especially if do R&B music. Very inspiring instruments.

13. tempsperdu

C H O I C E

14. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Yes. So if you feel it doesn't suit you, I guess then don't sign up.

15. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

for Mac users, it is pretty much already a subscription as one has to update to keep to keep up with the slew of incomplete OS releases from apple that tend to break things.

anyway, since NI switched to native access for online distribution, it is a subscription in a sense as your SN is tied to that; previously it was your SN and you downloaded to your drive.

but for those that are longtime users, the benefit of that loyalty should be to have the choice of continuing to purchase or change to subscription.

16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

How did it get worse in your opinion? The audio was implemented without breaking any core functionality as was VST support.
    The only weird thing is that the rack UX/GUI doesn't make as much sense in today's age where screens are much wider and it got overall cluttered.

17. tempsperdu

Alernatively and preferably offer optional. You may not dislike subscription only but there are an awful lot that do as you might have noticed.

18. ajb1965

ajb1965 NI Product Owner

Not debating the good/bad of subscription based software in this zombie thread :), but it is the way most companies are going. I'm in IT for a large corporation, and even the big bad Microsoft is moving enterprise licensing for Office 365 and collaboration apps to a subscription service. Cisco also does the same as do many other 'big name' companies. Right now most offer a choice of perpetual license or a sub, but eventually perpetual licensing will go the way of the dodo

• Like Like x 1
  19. tempsperdu

I think you have to differentiate amongst the blurry lines of services and tools.I would always say offer a choice. In many cases you can live without a service but when it's the tools you need to do whatever you're doing subscription isn't always a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ajb1965

ajb1965 NI Product Owner

And that's just it, the tools have become part of the service offering. Whether it's a word processor or a suite of VST equalizers, they are tools to the extent that they are required in order to complete a task.

A case can be made for both I suppose. There can certainly be advantages for things like Eastwest's sample library subscription. For $30-40 dollars a month you have access to their entire suite of otherwise very expensive libraries. You have the option to go month to month, or annual. The hobbyist or even a professional that just needs that one unique sound of a gypsy violin for example, for a small investment of a one month subscription you could use the samples, print, and be done rather than pay $300 for a library you will use once then it just takes up disk space. in that instance it makes sense and is easy to justify. Eastwest gets a morsel of your money for their service, and you don't have to sacrifice lunch for the next month to offset the investment.

Conversely, a Waves VST subscription bundle is for the most part a waste of money. VST effects are a part of your standard toolbox and will be used constantly. For $19 dollars a month you can use up to 7 of their VST effects, many of which routinely go on sale for $29 outright. 7*29 = $203. 19*12=$228 x the time it takes to realize you are paying too much and buy something else.

I could see NI going in the direction of Eastwest as a way to generate recurring revenue. The Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's Edition is a great deal at $1600, but many hobbyists/enthusiasts can't justify spending that kind of money on software just to gain access to additional libraries they may never use. They would however be enticed by a reasonable fee to use a library on a monthly or one time basis. As long as NI still made the perpetual license available to those who want it, it would be a win/win. With their seemingly newfound emphasis on gaining new users in the entry/mid level market with low cost hardware and freemium software, I wouldn't be surprised to see that announced in the next 12-18 months.

I guess we will just all have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1