1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

NI Lightning Cable for Z1?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by shiveringgoat, Jan 31, 2014.

1. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat NI Product Owner

So I got the 128GB IPad Air, the official apple lightning Adapter and one of the new official smart cases which fits really well, gives it a bit of protection and is still light. I love this set up, I'm using apple lossless files, the Z1 and am about to buy some Mackie MR8's MK3 - my home set up will be amazing and minimal, this is the future, I'm sure.
    When I use the Z1 with the USB/30 pin lead and the Apple Adapter I have to take the smart case off the iPad as the adapter will not work (pain), however by the time you've got the Native Instruments lead from the Z1 which is quite stiff and then the adapter on the end of this, it's critical you don't move the lead or it will easily disconnect.

NI needs to embrace the lightening cable as soon as possible as having to use an adapter and the bulky old 30 pin adapter is a risky inconvenience, especially if playing out live.

I understand that Apple charge to Licence the cables etc and it must be a challenge, but it would be helpful to know if this is a priority.
    There is every chance that in the next iPad/iPod/iPhone refresh nothing will be available with the old 30 pin adapter.

I just want to plug everything in simply without worrying about knocking the iPad or Z1.

Just some thoughts...

Shaun

2. Ru C

Ru C New Member

Yep, i'm waiting for this too.

3. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Ok guys, understand the frustration. Please be patient, this is a priority and that is literally all I am permitted to say on the matter.
    This really is not a case of NI dragging it's heels it is way more complicated than that.

Hold tight.

Karlos

4. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

5. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

From what I've read, if you want an adaptor that allows you to do everything a 30 pin cable would normally allow, but with a lightning interfaced device, you will specifically require the official apple 30 pin - lightning adaptor because it reportedly has a smart chip which actively reroutes signals to different pins depending on the application it's being used for.

We get smaller, reversible connectors, they get to make a ton of money on devices out there which don't have a lightning interface.

6. dandaka

dandaka New Member

7. Karlos Santos

8. Ru C

Ru C New Member

ok, thanks for the reply. I'll check the thread in a month & see if there is any news

9. henrikmaneuver

henrikmaneuver Member

I'm using the 0,2 m cable adaptor and it works fine. Z1 and an iPad air.

10. Karlos Santos

That's good to hear but it is not recommended by NI.

Karlos

11. blancodisco

blancodisco NI Product Owner

I did not have success with the 0.2 m cable adapter on an iPadMiniRetina.

Ended up having to buy a non apple smart case (devicewear) as the short stubby apple adapter does not fit with the apple smart case for the mini.