NI products native Apple Sillicon support?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 3vilRat, Apr 28, 2021.

1. 3vilRat

3vilRat New Member

So I understand that at the moment all my Komplete stuff except MassiveX should work on the new iMac via Rosetta2 emulation, despite the fact that they're not officially supported on the architecture.

However, I'm a bit worried that, despite extensive googling, I cannot find a single statement from NI about the future. Is NI planning to release native arm64 versions of their products? Are they in development? Is there a rough estimate on the date? Or is all of this currently undecided?

2. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

It's in progress as you can read on our article here: Apple Silicon Compatibility

"We are working to ensure full support for Apple Silicon across all of our current products, but time frames for compatibility will vary, and we are not yet able to announce any specific dates"

There's quite a lot of products and challenges but Silicon updates should be available throughout the rest of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 3vilRat

3vilRat New Member

So "full support for Apple Silicon" == "natively compiled for arm64"? Because the article does not make it super clear.

4. Matt @ NI

Yes exactly.
    We tried to use language everyone could understand but I'll make a note for the knowledge base team to make it more precise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 3vilRat

3vilRat New Member

Thank you for clarification.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

Everything except Massive X works under Rosetta 2. There is really no rush, I’d rather prefer NI to do it right than fast ;)

Pro machines have not yet been updated to Apple silicon anyway (MacBook Pro 14”, big iMacs, Mac Pro and rumoured Mac mini Pro).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matt @ NI

We're on the same page :thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding everyone about Rosetta 2

• Like Like x 1
  8. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

When a native M1 maschine app exists ,what’s the chances of it ever running on the M1 iPad ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

It depends on Apple allowing it first. At the moment, iPhone and iPad apps can run on M1 Macs but not vice-versa.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Correct, and I use a few , but thats just a novelty thing to me , the iPad Pro is gonna be the same spec as my m1 mini , so it should be able to run it , if not the OS X version maybe a version ported to it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. EdM

EdM New Member

I am definitely looking forward to Apple silicon support for Massive X. My previous Windows chipset was too old to be able to run Massive X, and now my brand new M1 is not yet supported. I had Massive X from the day it was available in Native Access, but since then I have never been able to use it :(.Kind of a bummer.
    But aside from that all other NI apps work flawless through Rosetta 2.

12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Edit , it’s supported in big sur now

13. EdM

EdM New Member

Big Sur maybe yes, but still not yet for M1, just tried it

14. Dave23

Dave23 NI Product Owner

I have a similar question- will Rig Kontrol3 ever be M1 compatible, and is Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 currently compatible with M1/Silicon? TIA

15. 6xes

6xes NI Product Owner

is the maschine mk1 & mk2 or the maschine Jam hardware working with the Rosetta emulation??

16. Jonathan Thomas

Jonathan Thomas New Member

Matt @ NI can I say this in the hope that someone from NI can help... I think the confusion lies in that you don't list any software on the M1 compatibility page at all, so does that mean that no software works with M1 equipped Mac's? I have one and run Replika XT and want to run other stuff. I brielfy tried Kontact and that works, as does nalog Dreams, but Monark didn't.

I tried Replika XT because I saw it works with Big Sur, but there's confusion as to what software listed on that page works with M1 mac's. Would be really great to have some clarity.

It would be very helpful to have a list of software that runs on M1 natively and a list of software that runs in Rosetta on M1 mac's.

On that note, can anyone tell me if Straylight works on M1 natively or in Rosetta? I'm holding off buying it until I know.

Many thanks

17. Matt @ NI

We don't have software officially supported on Apple Silicon either natively or via Rosetta 2 quite yet.
    It doesn't mean it's not working but as long as we're not officially supporting it (meaning no technical support as well), we're not going to be able to list it on the page. With that said, any product you installed via Native Access now would run via Rosetta and not natively.

The only thing we can suggest at the moment is to either wait for the update to be available or just try it out.

18. Jonathan Thomas

Jonathan Thomas New Member

Thank you, Matt @ NI , I appreciate your prompt reply. Much appreciated! I wait patiently for the update :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dave23

Dave23 NI Product Owner

It would helpful to at least know if /what is being worked on. I bought into Guitar Rig/Rig Kontrol many moons ago only to see it totally forgotten about by NI for like, 7years... The most recent Rig Kontrol driver did not install on my M1 . Could you confirm if there will ever be any driver for M1s so I can either wait it out or just forget the whole thing. Thank you.

20. Matt @ NI

Hey. Dave,
    Are you asking specifically about Rig Kontrol?
    If so, we're not planning to release further updates I'm afraid. We've dropped further compatibility updates since 10.11.