NI S-Series Keyboards Used With Maschine - Button Mappings (S25, S49, S61, S88)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by terrybritton, Apr 13, 2017.

1. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Since I wrote these notes out for myself, I thought I'd pass them along to others here. These are all the button and knob mappings, including the ones using the shift button, that apply to using an S-Series keyboard (S-25, S-49, S-61 or S-88) with the Maschine software. As suggestions, corrections or new features appear I will add those to this first post.

Important - Plug in your Maschine hardware and turn it on first, then start up the Maschine software, THEN turn on your S-Series Keyboard.

First, the obvious ones!

Play
    Stop
    Record
    FF
    Rewind
    Loop On/Off

Group, Pattern, Loop Range, Sound & Effect Controls

Lower Up/Down Arrows move through Instruments/Sounds In a Group
    (Going past final assigned slot allows you to insert another sound or instrument - asking you to hit Browse at that point)

Shift + Lower Up/Down Arrows move through Groups

Lower Left/Right Arrows move through Plugins used in Instrument/Sound
    (Going past final one allows you to insert another sound or effect plugin - asking you to hit Browse at that point)

Small Left/Right buttons move you through the pages in the selected plugin's Macro

Encoder/Browser Knob alone - Jump by Bars Within a Track
    Shift + Encoder/Browser Knob -- Adjust Volume of Selected Sound Slot (dB appears under small arrows)
    Hold the Loop button and turn the main Encoder/Browser knob to move the loop position of the existing range
    Shift + Lit Loop Button -- Select entire song as the loop range

Shift Key Combinations

Shift + Play - Start Playback At Beginning
    Shift + Stop - Turn Metronome On/Off
    Shift + Record - Start Recording Using Count In
    Shift + FF or Rewind - Finer Control with Smaller Increments of Jump
    Shift + any of the eight encoder knobs - Fine Adjust Mode
    Shift + two little arrows AT THE SAME TIME - Locks Automation to On or Turns Lock Off (status shown on keyboard beneath arrows)
    Shift + Octave + -- Enter "ModWheel" Touch Strip Editor Knobs From Keyboard
    Shift + Octave - -- Enter Pitch Bend Touch Strip Editor Knobs From Keyboard
    Shift + Instance -- Switch Between Normal and MIDI Controller Modes

Browser

In Preferences/Hardware

You can select whether to browse via computer screen only or instead via the keyboard's knobs and knob labels by going to the Hardware section of Preferences and dropping down the menu to select the keyboard. Hardware Browsing option is at the bottom.

Both On-Screen and Hardware/Keyboard modes:

Whether or Not In Browser, White up/down arrows move through presets, loading them as you go into the currently selected slot.

Press Browse Button to enter Browser Mode
    Turning Main Encoder/Browser Knob moves through presets. Pressing Browser loads selected preset.

Shift + Encoder/Browser Knob Press -- Make Favorite (or Remove from Favorites)
    Shift + Encoder/Browser Knob Turn -- Jump Through Instrument Vendors (in Screen Browser mode only). Most effective on Instrument Browsing.
    Small Left/Right Arrows Switch between Factory and User Presets
    Shift + Small Left/Right Arrows -- moves through Browser categories (Patterns, Instruments, Sounds, Etc.)

If using On-Screen Browser:

Browsing Favorites:
    In On-Screen Browser mode, hit right arrow into presets area, then hit up arrow until in favorites area and press Browse button.

Browsing by Vendor or Category:
    In On-Screen Browser mode, hold Shift and select from Browser knob, then down-arrow into tags.

If using Keyboard to Browse:

Vendors, Tags, etc. are accessed via the eight encoder knobs

Browsing Favorites:
    In Hardware/Keyboard Browser, hold Shift to expose new options and select from the third encoder knob. (You can also set a Favorite here from fourth encoder knob.)

Browsing by Vendor or Category:
    In Hardware/Keyboard Browser, hold Shift to expose new options and select from first encoder knob.

Assistive Features / Voice Assistant:

The assistive features are enabled / disabled by holding SHIFT and pressing PRESET UP (top-left Shift together with the top-right Up buttons). They can also be enabled / disabled via Preferences > Hardware. (Thanks to Tim@NI!)

I hope that this list is helpful to people using their S-Series keyboard along with Maschine!

Terry

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

you always have the best findings

• Like Like x 1
  3. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Just made a few additions and deletions:

Shift + Octave - to adjust pitch-bend strip
    Shift + Lit Loop Button sets loop range to entire song
    Browser: Small Left/Right Arrows Switch between Factory and User Presets

Browsing Favorites --
    In On-Screen Browser mode, hit up arrow until in favorites area and press Browse button.
    In Hardware/Keyboard Browser, hold Shift and select from the third encoder knob. (You can also set a Favorite here from fourth encoder knob.)

Browsing by Vendor or Category
    In On-Screen Browser mode, hold Shift and select from Browser knob
    In Hardware/Keyboard Browser, hold Shift and select from first encoder knob

Could not find the correct sequence for undo/redo.

Terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joscuzz

Joscuzz New Member

Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable reference info. I've book-marked the page for "quick dips" when needed, and they are a plenty for me right now.

• Like Like x 1