1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

NKS User Library

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Kymeia, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I'm on Mac - Serum is just "Serum" even though I'm 64 bit. Does the different name mean it doesn't load on Windows?

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  4. Duggle

Duggle NI Product Owner

I'm sorry if this issue has already been addressed but I can't find it.
    It relates to the difference between a VST plugin preset and template.
    I've been able to store and recall presets and find that their controller mappings remain individual rather than global. I cant see (nor find in the manual) how to manage templates. searching the PDF for "template" only yields a few results and not in the right context.
    [BTW, I absolutely love NI products and am totally invested in them, but their documentation always leaves me cold, am I alone in this view?]
    Anyway, thanks for any help..

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

By template we just mean a preset that is set up a particular way (mappings, tags etc) to enable controlling the plugin using the hardware and/or, saving further presets with identical settings (to avoid having to do it again and again).

If you set up a mapping for a plugin and save it in KK as a preset, then if you load that particular preset again, every other preset for that plugin that you load through the plugin interface will also have that mapping. If you then save those as KK presets they will also retain the mapping, so the original preset has functioned as a template for all the others.

How to manage them? I suggest you assign them some tags that make it easy to locate them using the KK browser. You can also find any plugin you have saved presets for in the user panel towards the bottom.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. Duggle

Duggle NI Product Owner

Makes sense, thanks!

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I've put together all the templates I made so far into one pack, and also added some basic tags to help locate them in the browser (e.g. they have a template tag, you may want to remove that if you want to then save out presets using it and add more details of your own). I have also zipped them with their folders intact so you can just drop the whole thing into the Native Instruments user content folder.

Added templates for Ultra Analog 2, PolyAna and a preliminary (WIP) one for Linplug Spectral (but this one is huge, so many envelopes I don't think it is useful as it stands but I need to think about how to cut it down, being able to reorder pages would also help).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5646041/Komplete/KK templates pack.zip

So in total this has templates for 22 plugins now:

u-he ACE, Bazille, Hive and Zebra 2
    Omnisphere 2
    Korg Legacy MS20, Monopoly and Polysix
    Blue II
    FXPansion Cypher and Strobe 2
    Dune and Dune 2
    Spire
    Serum
    GForce Oddity 2 and impOscar 2 (these plugins may have different names on Windows so you may need to rename the folders)
    AAS Ultra Analog 2
    Beepstreet Sunrizer
    Polyana
    Diversion
    Linplug Spectral (WIP)

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. compactus

compactus NI Product Owner

9. prakashsi

prakashsi NI Product Owner

btw, i just realized that KK doesn't have an FX version... wonder why that is, it would seem useful in that capacity as well. that's why I mentioned the FX VSTs earlier in this thread. hope this is added. thanks to everyone

• Like Like x 1
  10. jhorology

jhorology NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  11. prakashsi

@jhorology

This zip on Serum seems to have all of the presets built in, looks like you converted to nks format (or something like that)?

How did you do that and where do we put this folder to make this process work. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is more than just mapping of parameters to controllers, which is what the other files on this thread are...this looks like nearly full NKS access for Serum, no?

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

The two NI resource folders go in the named folders (dist database and images) found here:

\Users\Shared\NI Resources

The presets go in the user folder - then rescan. Very nice - This is basically close to what we get with a NKS except that the files are still in the user folder - the images are what you would also do for non NI and non NKS Kontakt libs like Geosonics (I posted a template for that ages ago).
    Theoretically we could do this with all the templates we have, just would take the work to save out the presets and make a few images and database entries (possibly need a sql tool for that).

Thanks to jhorology for putting this all together

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  13. prakashsi

Holy crap, so how do we do this for everything? It was probably automated, maybe this can be done for everything

14. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

The templates are done so that's the first step, then saving the presets (tedious unless automated). Then you need to make icon images to go in the NI image location and they have to be a certain size and type eg - MST_artwork has to be a png sized 146x66 pixels, VB_artwork must be 96x47 pixels, just copy how they are done in the template. You need to create a '.meta' file but I found with Geosonics all you need to do is copy any from one of the NI folders in images and rename it with the plugin name, and put them all in a folder with the plugin name as KK identifies it (or Maschine). All this is pretty simple and I have done this before for Geosonics and Box of Tricks. The only bit I'm not sure on is how to create the database category entries - I guess it needs a sql editor - however it is not essential, the steps above should be enough to have presets, mappings and an image icon in the user section but they would just be in the uncategorised section, not under synths.

15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Opening up the .json files in Atom - looks like this is just simple script so doable in a text editor - doesn't seem to need a proper database editor after all

Code:
    {
        "Vendor" : "Xfer Records",
        "Product" : "Serum",
        "CategoryDB" :
        [
            {
                "FileType" : "Instruments",
                "Categories" :
                [
                    "Synthesizers"
                ]
            }
        ]
    }

If we work collaboratively on this it's possible we can add much of NKS functionality to almost any plugins regardless of whether they are NKS or not.

17. prakashsi

\Users\Shared\NI Resources

that doesn't exist in my Win7 64 bit version, maybe that's for Mac or somehow my folder is hiding somewhere else?

18. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Sorry yes I'm on Mac - I guess there's an equivalent place in Win - shared user folder? common files?

19. wurlt

wurlt NI Product Owner

for plugins we just need a text editor and Follow Kymeia instructions. Ive been using notepadd++ on pc to edit. The folder on C:\Documents\NI recources\. Doing this we can also make custom categories. or you can do more than one. these are from two of my json files.

ALso important is to have at least one nks preset in user\native instruments\user content\

"Categories" :
    [
    "Sampler","New Sonic Arts"
    ]
    }
    ]
    }

"FileType" : "Instruments",
    "Categories" :
    [
    "VST","A Fav"

Ive also figured out how to catorgize kontakt libraries. For that we have to edit File in NI Resources\database\pal\categories.db
    im using DB Browser for sq lite on pc and have add kontakt libraries to one of the 5 categories. If anyone tries this i recommend backing up this file first I screwed up once or twice.

PS this all works for maschine 2.4 too. Ni is trying to make everything work for both. That user folder is so both maschine and komplete kontrol can share presets and favorites.

upload_2015-11-4_14-9-32.png
    upload_2015-11-4_14-9-47.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. yuma

yuma NI Product Owner

Hi Kymeia and jhorology, you are wonderful and great. Its genial to have serum and velvet as nks and all the other templates, once again, thank you, thank you, thank you, you are fantastic. Best wishes