1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

NKS User Library

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Kymeia, Oct 27, 2015.

1. jhorology

jhorology NI Product Owner

Hi Guys
    Sorry details for usage are not documented yet. but all tools are simple and small.
    Easy to use if you are familiar with nodejs, gulp, coffeescript....

Now I'm investigating ableton rack file, maybe able to convert.

2. brownboy

brownboy NI Product Owner

This is very exciting.

3. prakashsi

prakashsi NI Product Owner

"Now I'm investigating ableton rack file, maybe able to convert."

Damn, son!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

EDIT - updated (7/11/15) to fix an erroneous entry in one of the dist database files

OK I have managed to make a full NKS pack now for Omnisphere 2 using the methods outlined above (thanks again to jhorology for showing that it was possible to edit the categories files more easily than I'd realised).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5646041/Komplete/omnisphere KK template pack.zip

The NI resource files need to go into the NI resources folder, on Mac it's here:

\Users\Shared\NI Resources - 2 subfolders 'dist_database' and 'image' - not sure what it would be on Windows but it should be wherever it stores common files for Native Instruments - hopefully someone can chip in who knows.

I have included my template with it so you have a mapped Omnisphere, however there's no way I am going to import all the presets and I don't think it's needed anyway personally as Omnisphere already has a great browser but if someone did do that it would require much automation - way beyond my patience or abilities. But it's nice to have it appearing in the main tab with other instruments.

When done you will see this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 18.10.56.jpg

btw this is kindof a proof of concept thing so we could probably find better images than my hastily put together screenshots but first I just wanted to see if I could make it work.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. MASSIVE MINDSET

MASSIVE MINDSET New Member

Just a question

Are the templates just a layout to control the stuff like cutoff attacks decays etc?

Or does it also add tags for the sounds and break them into categories ?

Cheers

6. Franvu

Franvu NI Product Owner

Thak you for the templates jhorology!
    I am looking for all the templates of Air Music Tech including Structure nad you have taken the first step.
    Cheers.

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No the template is just a single patch with the controls mapped out; I added some very basic tags to identify it but when you save sounds using it you would add tags depending on what sound you save which obviously I have no way of knowing in advance. But you can use a template to reduce the time it takes to tag stuff, particularly if you know in advance what types of sounds you are saving (eg if they are all basses or pads) edit the tags in the template temporarily, then save your patches and they will all then have the same tags as the template, then mpre on to another set you want to save, say leads, and again first change the tags in the template to match.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mickeyl

mickeyl NI Product Owner

First off, thanks for all your pioneering work (I think Native Instruments should have documented that instead of having users like us figuring it out on our own, but that's another topic...)!

One thing is still unclear to me though from reading the complete thread – are the mappings contained in every preset or not? If you have multiple .nksf files in User Contents, which one – if any – will be honored when you open one of the .nkrt or .nkmsv files that are already present (from saving presets with previous versions of the software).

Last but not least, can we agree on a central location (say, github somewhere?) for all the work on nks templating? That would be easer than to grab it out of multiple links.

9. Sempai45

Sempai45 New Member

All the work you guys are doing is incredible!! I wish I was as technically inclined. Would anyone be willing to make a template for Predator or Synthmaster?

10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

The mappings will be contained in every preset saved using the template as a starting point. ie if say you load the Omnisphere template and then load and save Omnisphere patches as KK presets, they will retain the mappings that the template has.

I did put all my templates in one zip and will keep adding to that as I create more.

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I could do Synthmaster as I have it but it may have the same bug it has in Kore, which is that the developer did not implement any automation smoothing so using the knobs to control the filter can get very steppy, especially if res is high.

12. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Hey Thanks Kymeia

The info you have provided has got me underway to attempt to throw the scripts I used for Ableton Push to rip Omnisphere 2, to create a User NKS preset pack.

I have used the info in regards to making custom categories and fixed up an issue you had in some of the files (referencing Serum instead of omnisphere) and I have everything working on Windows 7.

What I would like to propose is that we keep a standard for the "dist_database" folder to make it easier for people to eventually contribute? I will document all the steps and resources and I am also going to photoshop some new artwork for Omnisphere 2 plugin.

I will release a "test" library soon with just the first few categories in it to see if it works for people. The aim will be to offer browsing of All the Omnisphere 2 presets with a few filter tags for each preset but the thing I have noted will be that occasionally presets will appear twice in the list due to the complex way Omnisphere offers tagging. This shouldn't be too much of an issue and I will try and manually merge these where possible.

No guarantee this will fully work but I am fairly confident. This will not fully replace the brilliant browser in Omnisphere but hopefully will at least allow preset jumping.

Before I get fully stuck in I am going to ask if Spectrasonics are considering adding KNS support. They are aware of the work I put into supporting Push so I want to make sure they are not already planning to add support.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Thanks for flagging that up, it was just one entry in one of the files that I missed (obviously my starting point was jhorologies example template and I replaced all the entries with Omnisphere/Spectraosnics but evidently missed one) - that's replaced now so the template is updated (same download)

I do have some reservations about bringing a huge library like Omnisphere's into the KK database, although I understand the appeal as it would make all of its presets (factory ones at least) available from the hardware. I think in the case of Omnisphere it just has a much better browser and one where I can access not just Spectrosonics presets but all my own and third party ones too. Also it's so huge it would make it a very onerous task if someone then decided they wanted more features in the mapping or a different layout they would have to change every patch - big job - I'm having that problem with the nksf Serum patches too actually. Finally, as with the Arturia plugins the limitations of NKS are showing for me in that they didn't convert all of their own patches (eg all the hybrid Prophet patches are missing), let alone any of the third party ones available (not even the free ones from their site that they do include by default now in their own releases), and in the absence of some decent batch conversion tools that again places a huge job on the shoulders of users. What is really needed are some simple tools for batch conversion of patches, until those are available I prefer to use the templates for control but stick to the plugins own browser to select its patches. But I concede that I do not have the Keyboard, I use this within Kore (as I am waiting for NI to bring out a controller only version - I have no need, or space, for another keyboard).

14. MrLondon

MrLondon NI Product Owner

Thanks for doing this - unfortunately, when I select a preset in Kontrol's browser, it doesn't seem to load it into Serum. Any ideas? My NI Resources folder didn't have a "dist_database" folder, so I just copied that as a new folder into the directory. I have two _DatabaseResources folders and two database folders.

15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Do you have the latest Serum beta? They won't work without that.

16. mickeyl

mickeyl NI Product Owner

Ok, i see, thanks, now the remaining question is how to inject the nks info into all the (Reaktor, Maschine, etc.) patches I already have.

17. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Not sure what you mean by NKS info - do you mean tags?

18. mickeyl

mickeyl NI Product Owner

No, the mappings.

19. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

You just open up the plugin panel (little circle icon next to scales), open the padlock (top right) to allow editing and use learn to map the plugin params to KK knobs. You can add pages and edit names from there, once done close the padlock and save as a presets. Then that will be your template and every other patch you load for that plugin via its own preset loader will have the same mapping.

But Reaktor factory content at least should be already mapped - I would have thought the same would be true of Maschine presets.

20. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Just updated the Omnisphere template with a better logo and colour