1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

NKS User Library

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Kymeia, Oct 27, 2015.

1. excesseye

excesseye New Member

Thanks for all the work on this. Great stuff! One question; how do you edit the page (tab) names in Komplete Kontrol? They all default to Page 1, Page 2, etc.

Thanks!

2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Just double click on the space between the page number and the knobs (with padlock unlocked obviously). I know it's a bit counter intuitive, I spent ages clicking on the text, but the reason it is like this is so you can add page sections, eg if so you want to name the first 4 knobs LFO1 and the second 4 LFO 2 if you click on the strip above knob 5 and enter LFO2 it creates the label but also it creates a line dividing the 2 sections, which is neat, then the whole page gets named LFO1/LFO2.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

That is certainly all true and this is not a perfect solution but from experience with Push I can say that even just the ability to search and find presets without having to first load the plugin is very desirable. Being a big Push user, having tested the Akai Advance for a few weeks and now having the KK in my studio, browsing my instruments quickly while "in the groove" is just the best!

I have already managed to entirely script and automate the creation of Omnisphere presets and can now also merge the tag selection of presets to remove duplicates. Most presets will have at least 2 - 3 available tags associated (Such as Arp + Synth + Bass for instance) but due to the automated way it all works and the limitations of KK software (a merge preset feature would be SOoooooo helpful) it is not possible to tag as good as Omnisphere does though I do have a method that could increase the tagging quality easily (would just take extra time).

I have already tested and run through the Arp section with 1000 presets generated and am very happy with the results. There are of course some limitations as you have mentoned:

- Controls would be set "in stone" so you would not easily be able to update them. This is why I have created a 20 page assignment to try and offer at least the most useful controls then a user can edit and map additional for a selected patch if needed.
    - Each preset file is 220Kb. at 12000 presets (roughly) the size of the library would be about 3GB. This is about the size we have for Push and a small price to pay for KNS styled browsing

If interested here is a default patch I am working from:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19072051/ForumFiles/Omnisphere Default Patch.zip

4. mickeyl

mickeyl NI Product Owner

Thanks, I have understood that much, but my problem is I already have a couple of hundred patches I saved from MASCHINE before 2.4 – 3rd party VST presets, my own patches for some Reaktor synths, etc. I don't see myself creating these again, so what I'm after would be a method to inject/convert the NKS information into existing files. From what I've seen yet it doesn't look like this is possible :/

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No it isn't - I'm not sure how it could be possible. Did you not save those patches with mappings to Maschine knobs though? I thought that was already possible in Maschine before it became possible in KK.

6. wurlt

wurlt NI Product Owner

@jhorology thanks for the stuff on github. I want to use these tools. If you could give us a walkthrough of what we need to run files. Would be great. Just a quick run thorough of tools and process. or even a website or video with a good walkthrough of how to use tools. We would all apreciate.

Thanks

7. yuma

yuma NI Product Owner

8. excesseye

excesseye New Member

Perfect! Thanks very much for your help!

9. excesseye

excesseye New Member

10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

11. excesseye

excesseye New Member

Last question...hopefully! I'm working on TAL U-No VSTi mapping, and all is well but I cannot figure out what name we have to use for the relevant image folder, meta files, etc.I have tried a few options, but the image does not display in the browser.

Is it the actual name of the VST file itself, or another name? I cannot for the life of me find the correct solution for this synth! I'm on a Mac, BTW. The name in the drop-down list for selecting VSTs in KK reads 'TAL U-No-LX-V2-64'; is that what I need, or the name of the actual file itself, which is 'TAL-U-NO-LX-V2-64.vst', or something else?

Thanks for any insight. I'll share when I get it working.

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

You need to put it in a folder with the vendor name, then a subfolder of that with the plugin name as it appears in KK (not the file name).

• Like Like x 1
  13. excesseye

excesseye New Member

Thanks again, Kymeia!

So here are the mapped presets for TAL U-No-LX V2. Because of the naming of the VST in the list, I am not sure if these will work on PC, or with the 32bit plugin. I have tested on 64bit Mac and they work great. I've included the default presets, plus all the additional presets available for download from the TAL site.

What I love about this is, being a simple synth, all controls could be mapped with very few screens. I have grouped the controls as logically as I could, but I accept no responsibility for my logic!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/by8n9fjw9f64axc/tal_uno_2.zip?dl=0

tal_uno.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. jhorology

jhorology NI Product Owner

I've just done Analog Lab !
    - 6000+ presets
    - per preset parameter name mapping! It was like puzle game.
    - added GIMP files in Analog Lab's resources folder on my repository.

https://github.com/jhorology/nks-presets-collection

@wurlt
    Sorry, I'm not native, so I can't explain detail it well with my english skills.
    If someone can do it, please explain for everyone.

I will go slow down, my own business works are filled up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...first - thank you for all the work you're doing (and have done for Kore), I hope I'll be able to contribute something to this thread in the future. I would try to do mappings and auto-save presets. For testing purposes I have done what you have described there, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried it two times, once in Maschine 2.4 and also in KK 1.5:

I have loaded a blank instance of Massive with no specific plug-in mapping and have created two test presets I have saved within Massive as nmsv.

Then I've reset that Massive instance to a blank preset, deleted all parameter pages and created two custom pages. I have saved this version within the host (in Maschine and repeated this in KK).

Then I have loaded that mapped host preset and loaded the nmsv presets afterwards via Massive's file menu as well as via Massive's own brower accessing my HD. In both cases the test mapping vanished.

The following files are:

- Massive -.mxsnd ( mapping for Maschine)
    - Massive - Init -.nmsv (mapping for KK)
    saw.nmsv (test preset)
    square.nmsv (test preset)

Did I do something wrong? I'd be glad if you or anybody else here could have a look. I'll also try to phone NI tech support to get more info. Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

16. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I had a very friendly and constructive talk on the phone with a member of NI's tech support (thanks, Flo (? - sorry)), but it seems that it is technically not possible to load older presets into an instance with a plug-in mapping and have these older presets with that new mapping. I may belong to a minority on this topic, but I think this is a really big issue not being able to have the same workflow for your older presets and/or third-party presets. In that sense, KK & NKS are not backwards-compatible, as a mapping is still saved with the preset and not with the plug-in. So, if you've created a mapping and do your future sound-design with that, you're fine, but all the stuff from the past must be mapped manually - per preset. It's really hard for me trying not to see that as a big faulty design as well as seeing what NKS might bring new to the table (let alone how much money and time it will cost other developers to map their factoy libraries to NKS)

I don't have Akai's VIP nor do I have Nektar's Panorama series, but these seem to adress things differently - Akai through a wrapper plug-in (VIP) and Nektar because they access host protocols where available (the Nektar system is about controlling the plug-ins, it doesn't use a software librarian like VIP or KK). I wish NI would go in a similar direction.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but I think these infos might be of interest for some people...

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. wurlt

wurlt NI Product Owner

First thanks all for your work.

@loachm You want to save preset as a .nksm. and make sure they are saved to new user content forlder in user folder/Native Instuments?User content. This is default location to save preset now. SO that Komplete kontrol and maschine can work together. For instance maschine sounds use to be saved two ways. .mxinst or .mxsnd, now with 2.4 you can save as .nksm or .mxsnd. To save as .nksm you need to go to control area right click on synth plugin and scroll all the way to bottom and you should see save functions. This will save to user content folder by defualt.

P.s. If someone can explain how to use @jhorology tools that would be great. Those tools i think are the key to helping all Komplete kontrol and Maschine users.

Attached Files:

18. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

@wurlt - thanks a lot for the tip. But it is very strange - it's not working. Please mind, I don't have a Komplete S-Series, but as a Maschine (2.4) and Komplete User I have just the Komplete Kontrol software - I'm just saying because I don't know if I have a crippled version or whatever (it says 1.5 though). And if anyone feels that this is too distracting from the original topic, please do tell and I might open another thread. But since I have found the most info about custom mapping etc. here (in the Maschine forum there seems to be no interest for NKS) I think it's appropiate to adress it here for the time-being.

I searched the Maschine main manual and the manual addendum and I did not find anything about the nksm format (the german addendum is even still on 2.3.1 - not cool). The KK manual even says 1.1, though I have v.1.5 installed. This is all very frustrating as I did a complete reinstall this weekend and updated everything via the Service Center.

Anyway, I tried every possible save option and though Maschine did save in that shared folder, it was just saved in the plug-ins preset format, not nksm. In fact, I searched my HD and did not find anything like that (I presume, nksm is a file extention). KK doesn't also save a nksm.

Right now, I really have to pay attention in order to not going berserk. I'll try to phone NI tech support again (poor chaps :D)...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  19. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

... OK, business as usual - the manuals don't seem to be up-to-date. The german version of KK is still v.1.1, the english one is v.1.5. However, I still did not find anything about .nksm (or .nksf as I was told on the phone) I was also told that nksm is only for non-NI plug-ins (don't have any installed atm). Anyway, NI tech support is very friendly, as usual.

Nevertheless, if someone here could refer me to the respective points in the documentation, I'd be very grateful. I still might have overlooked some things, but will check again...

20. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I think the problem here is that KK reads Massive sound format directly so any test mapping you apply to one particular preset would be replaced by whatever info there is in the .nmsv about mappings regardless of whether you load it via Massive's interface or KK's. However with a third party plugin it is different, the presets you load via the plugin's own interface don't contain information about KK mappings so once you have setup a particular mapping, as long as you use the plugins interface to load presets (which you can then resave as KK presets) the mapping should apply to all presets and will be retained if you load them again (and I have tested that).