1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

No midi mode added for S4 MK3 today ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gillster11, Feb 18, 2020.

1. gillster11

gillster11 NI Product Owner

I see midi mode added for S3 and S2 MK3 but none for S4 MK3 why not ?

2. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

I was wondering the same thing.

3. Cheef Roberts

Cheef Roberts NI Product Owner

I thought it was a bit weird that the S4 MK3 was missing a midi din socket.

4. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

Now that S2 MK3 is supported with MIDi mode, can anyone test and confirm that Jog Wheels are mappable?

Asking because they are not available in Default mapping...

5. man-tk

man-tk NI Product Owner

why u need midi with s4 ?
    do u want to use it with another software ?
    You can remap any button .

6. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

Default mapping is limited to only 8 modifiers. And Jog wheels are not mappable which us huge PITA.

7. zyguli

zyguli New Member

Is midi mode planned for the S4 mk3? While being the flagship traktor device, it's crippled in this field in comparison to the S2 and S3.

8. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

The Joe Easton hack is good for most of what I needed on the Mk3. I get that some want to do things with jogs. My MK1 had some cool jog stuff I added.
    I wonder if the motorized data feedback might be why they are not bothering with the midi?

9. sedivy94

sedivy94 New Member

This is pretty much exactly why. Although some inputs are MIDI-mappable, jog wheel functionality is married to the haptic drive components which are driven by HID. What I've taken from my research is that Native Instruments developed a proprietary HID implementation called "Native Hardware Language" (NHL) that is dependent on communicating with Traktor. Like most proprietary implementations, NHL sacrifices accessibility/openness to optimize for performance (higher packet resolution) and plug-n-play functionality (absence of drivers).

At first, I thought reverse engineering this protocol (a laborious but rewarding process) would lead to a solution. Mind you, my intention was to use the S4 MK3 with Rekordbox/VDJ. But further research and brainstorming leads me to believe that there is still a wide gap to bridge, specifically between the NHL/HID map and one's software of choice. Although it's a long shot, VDJ and Mixx may still be candidates, but the prospect of using any other software is grim.

Here's a link that I dug up quickly as a reference for this post.
    https://forum.juce.com/t/hid-input-support/8464

If anyone has more information on this, or would like to collaborate on this, please DM me. I have a degree in computer science that's getting stale, I could use a pet project for my portfolio. Coding skills are rusty but I specialize in lower-level languages like C (and I can trudge through assembly code if needed).

10. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Yep if you watch any update the drivers do not include the S4Mk3, so all the data is within the main install. not the typical midi mapping program. I am no expert but that is a good clue as how it all works.