1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

No preset management for VSTi

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Will Zégal, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Will Zégal

Will Zégal NI Product Owner

Hi,

when I use a VSTi in Maschine that have the classic VST preset management instead of an embedded preset manager, I don't have any preset menu in Maschine.

Here is a exemple of the same instrument in "normal" state fund in other DAW and in Maschine.
    Normal
    VST_in_DAW.jpg

In maschine : No preset management
    VST_in_Maschine.jpg

It's an exemple. I have the same with other synths.

Does anybody have the same issue ? What are we supposed to do ? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

It's just in a different place

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Will Zégal

Indeed. Thanks a lot.:thumbsup:

And where shall I open a preset bank ?

4. Will Zégal

And how do I open a FXB preset for a FX ? Thanks.

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Whats FXB?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

FXB is the old standard preset bank file type of VST (prior to VST3, I think). Cubase & Live, for instance, can open & save to .fxb. The single preset bank file type is .fxp. The VST3 file type is .vstpreset.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Will Zégal

Yes. I wanted to write FXP.

FXB is preset bank. FXP is single preset.

I've done some work in Sonar. Than I had moved everything inside Maschine for live performance. So I record FXP presets for VSTs that don't have their own bank / preset management. At least, for every FX and synth used in the project in order to have them as a backup/archive in the folder where I put the samples of the tune and so on.

As far as I know, EVERY DAW and VST host is able to open such presets. It looks like Maschine can't. :mad:

I had to reproduce every adjustment / tuning of my plugins in Maschine while keeping my Sonar project open. What a loose of time !
    Sometimes, the way NI tends to keep its users away from other products can be a bit irritating.

• Like Like x 3
  8. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...it is indeed irritating, but NI has gone different paths with their own preset format a long time ago. In 2004 they came out with the Kore file format, which, I think, offered some technical improvements to standard FXP/FXB. And nowadays, since even Steinberg themselves have announced the end of the support for VST2, the days of that file format are probably numbered, so it's not totally incomprehensible, if someone doesn't deal with an older formats, no matter if it has been a standard or not.

The problem in your case might be - I don't know, it's just an assumption - that this freeware synth hasn't a file browser on its own and leaves it up to the host. The last one of mine I remember was Linplug Albino and it had its own browser. Most of my synths today use their own file format and not fxp/fxb, and they provide a file browser as well. The thing is, that problem might not be entirely NI's fault. Charlatan's developer can be reached via KVR, as stated on his site at the bottom: http://www.blaukraut.info/ Maybe he can help you.

The other thing is, though I don't know this synth, featurewise it doesn't look that unique, that you wouldn't get similar results with another synth, which works a bit better in Maschine. For instance, looking at the included Monark & Massive makes it a bit hard to understand, that Charlatan offers something, they don't.

And if you want to save your own Charlatan patches in Maschine, maybe it'll work saving them as Maschine sounds. Anyway, I hope, some of this might help to solve the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Will Zégal

The spirit of Charlatan is making sounds from scratch. Also, it's so simple that it's not a problem to mimic the adjustments made in another host.
    Except that it's a bit strange to have to do the old fashion analog way in a digital world.
    Also except that Charlatan sounds so good that some people did some nice presets banks that would be convenient to be able to open in Maschine.

Nevertheless, it's not a major issue. I was just very surprised not to find in Maschine what looks like a standard feature in every audio software that supports VST.

Talking about the "end" of VST2, I wonder why we still can't have VST3 in Maschine. That's a bit contradictory to invoque the end of VST2 for a software that still doesn't support VST3, obliging us to install both version of any plugin we get. But I think VST2 will not die so soon...

I won't argue about why using Charlatan rather than Monark or Massive (I also use). Just tell you that Charlatan is NOT Monark or Massive that are NOT Charlatan. Just try it an you'll see. Free doesn't mean poor or cheap. ;-)

Thanks for your help.