No Time Stretch...wow

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by tonvie, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonvie

tonvie New Member

Had mine 2 days now. This is my first post. Just wanted to echo everyone elses frustration. I almost took the machine back to the music store because of this.

2. empolo

empolo NI Product Owner

Welcome.

Read the Maschine On The Record Session #1 sticky up top to see what all is coming, but to address your post subject:

(from the session)
    "Timestretching is on our development roadmap, as a real-time feature, not just an offline process in the sample editor. Regarding the "when" - when it's ready"

Real-time. That's going to take some work (and time).

3. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Not everyone's frustration. I currently do my timestretching in Ableton. Can see why it would be useful though. I have however already added a plus one to one of the countless existing threads on this. Someone must've listened because they ate doing it.

4. phil909

phil909 Forum Member

there's something to be said for a researching a product before you buy it.

5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Although to be fair, a fair few people will see the software side and buy the product for what it has potential to do. Timestretch is certainly one of the most requested features...

6. specialjustin1

specialjustin1 Forum Member

Yeah fair enough, but these days you don't even check for things like time-stretch, it's just assumed...

7. hank44

hank44 Account Suspended

Why didn't you read the features first before you bought Maschine? It's common sense as far as buying software/hardware. Since theirs no timestretch and some are frustrated, just don't use it. Plenty of us producers will fream Maschine for what it is now. It's just going to get better and better. They know we want timestretching.

8. tonvie

tonvie New Member

Couldn't agree more, I should have done more homework. However, since it is my fault, that's ultimately why I didn't take the maschine back for a refund. I figured I'd make the best of a bad situation and hope that within the months it takes to learn how to use this thing, maybe they'll have a solution. And the youtube video of the native instruments guy saying he learned all about maschine in 2 hours kinda makes me laugh. Haven't made a beat yet and I'm on day 3. Must be dumb I guess.

For the meantime, I'm interested in those using Ableton to do time-stretching, how easy is it to use? What's your workflow? Just installed Ableton, never used it though, been using fruity loops...which btw has time-stretching lol.

9. vinceprice

vinceprice NI Product Owner

Yo I know it sucks but if you look around the forums they have workarounds for just about everything. One thing is I use Traktor to sample into maschine only thing that sucks is you can't stretch the sample to the grid. My boy was asking me if he should get Maschine because he knows I use it. I told him to wait till they add timestretching due to the fact you can do everything in Ableton Live. I told him to just get a Launch Pad or get an APC40. Don't get me wrong Maschine is still hands down the most fun and fluid thing going in my opinion but if you work with samples Elastic timestretching is THE MOST IMPORTANT NEW IMPROVED TECHNOLOGY OF 2000+. I can't believe Pro Tools has it in LE and not just HD lol. By the way did you hear about being able to use any audio interface with pro tools now? I love the underground they totally kickd Avid/Digidesign in the nads. They should have had this as an option in the first place lmao. I use pro tools but I hate Avid as a company. I wish NI would look at how Propellarhead developed Record and how they integrated all of there stuff together. Then I would just use NI. Hell I would get a NI tat on my left arm under my sons face.

10. legsmechanical

legsmechanical Forum Member

pete rock, dilla, madlib, and primo have been bitching about the lack of time stretch on samplers since the 90s. Join the club.
    :D

11. MFDOOMRULZ

MFDOOMRULZ Forum Member

Anyone know what Madlib is using these days to make beats ? I can picture him using Ableton live for the warp-n. The warp-n in Ableton live 8 is dope!

12. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

mushroom and weed ? :D

More seriously what is the (your) workflow to use maschine in conjunction with ableton to use timestretch ? I had tested with drag'n'drop audio file in ableton doin' the timestrectch and use consolidate to get a new audio file and after open it in maschine but it's a bit boring with this method ...

13. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

Yeah but they USED to bitch about it. Maschine users still have to. I'm ok patiently waiting for it and will be happy when it's there.

Where did you see/hear about them complaining about the lack of timestretch?

14. MFDOOMRULZ

MFDOOMRULZ Forum Member

Basic - "Short version" of how I use Maschine with Ableton.

Open Ableton - Bring the sample in from my SP 808 into an audio track – adjust the sample if needed (re pitch etc).
    Open a second audio track - pull the pieces of the samples over to the new audio track. Arrange the pieces to make the beat.
    Once I have the beat arranged, then set the metronome to around 90 to 85 and start warping to get the beat to match the tempo.
    Open another audio track for the bass. Record my bass line (good ol Yamaha Lefty 4 string bass) – warp if needed – add lots of EQ
    Then I’ll open a midi track and select Maschine from my plug in folder. Make a drumbeat and record.

Would like to hear how others are using live and Maschine to make beats. Seems like endless possibilities using Live and maschine together. I'm happy with my Laptop MPC.

15. STRATEGY_510

STRATEGY_510 NI Product Owner

I still don't like it and wish they would add the optiop of warping the Live 7 way in Live 8

STRATEGY

16. JIMMYCONWAY

JIMMYCONWAY Forum Member

I wish they had time stretching too. U would figure a sampled base groove machine would have it. Hopefully in a near future update.

17. phil909

phil909 Forum Member

you'd also figure it would have some proper groove functions too!
    like groove templates and swing per sound....
    the hip hop guys have had a lot of maschine love from NI recently, now it would be nice for us 4/4 guys to get some cool stuff.

would love time stretching too.

18. MFDOOMRULZ

MFDOOMRULZ Forum Member

[​IMG]

Come on NI, you can do it in the next update. It will happen, just make it sooner than later so we won't have to wait. :lol:

19. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

finally I found a way that suit to my need :
    - i put my sound on an audio track in ableton
    - i do all my process (stretching with warp markers etc ...)
    - i route the output to the maschine input
    - i record the processed sample in maschine

if I need to stretch a slice from maschine I export it to ableton by drag'n drop do the process and resample it again ...

with this way I have the feeling to do sampling like with a hardware device :cool: and I also can add a boost by sampling hot :)

20. features2010

features2010 Account Suspended

,+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.