1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Noob advice: Traktor Scratch vs. Serato Scratch Live

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by SoulLifter, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jard

Jard Forum Member

chilly - sorry, i only have the demo downloaded of the site. i have not actually bought the product yet so have no manual to look at.
    trance alba - thanks i checked your link wasnt really the answer i was looking for. i want to be able to have more than just one playlist so i can sort my music out i dont want everything in the yellow folder at the top. sippose i could go through itunes but i dont like the idea of the idea of using itunes converted mp3s.

2. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

admittedly i dont use scratch but in traktor 3.2, down from the "current playlist" yellow thing at the top there's a section called playlists and when you right click it you can create new ones. You may prove me wrong but I doubt NI would have removed this for any reason.

As for itunes converted mp3s, whats wrong with them? they use the commonly used "lame" encoder, capable of encoding at 320kbs, 44.1 kHz.

3. inforlk

inforlk Forum Member

I agree that Rane is professional in analog sound system but in digital format is not professional serato

4. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

There might limited functionality in the demo?

I didn't even know there was a Traktor Scratch demo.

5. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Like Chilly said before, SSL is the club standard, if it were not professional, it never became the club standard, I really like to know where you based your comments on!

SSL is the only competition for Traktor, and visa versa.
    They're both pro, believe me, I know.

6. inforlk

inforlk Forum Member

I used the 2 systems, Serato it is very stable at best why it has become the rule of the club but its software leaves much to be desired, besides your hardware is bad (its construction of plastic and has no driver Asio). Instead the TS their software is bright but consumes more resources and have far more options that the software makes it an Serato toys, hardware TS (low latency and driver Asio) has a fabulous construction of aliminio. Give it time for the Traktor scracth becomes the new standard of club if it is not already. eg richie Hawting, Magda, grand master flash, etc.

It's a shame that the Serato worth Like the TRAKTOR SCRATCH since it does not have enough quality to match. besides the Serato out in 2005 too old for the times.

7. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

sorry, but this is pure nonsense.

Stability comes first. And concerning software it's usually a good sign if it's not too new. The Audio 8 is not bad, but not top of the line. TS still has many bugs and for me it's not 100% stable.

Also I don't really like the gui. I'm always amazed how fast everything works if I'm running SSL, much more responsive.

And Traktor's colors look like some old radio or something.
    SSL also has much better waveforms, Traktor looks really cheap in comparison.

I still love it though :)

8. fella

fella NI Product Owner

I doubt you worked with both systems, but anyway.
    The housing is aluminium, not plastic and what I really like about this card is the 9vdc connection, so it gets its own power, instead of usb power, I really would like to see that on my audio 8.
    In general SSL has the lower latency, not TS, the shown numbers in TS are just the incoming/outcoming latency.

TS has def. more features and some like and use it, some don't, just a personal choice.
    I own both systems and I say it again:Both are pro and very good.
    To call SSL a toy is nonsens.

9. bigbadselecta

good point! This was pretty much my first thing to complain about when I read about Traktor Scratch...

=> And I ended up in a pretty embarrassing situation when I didn't have enough power for my Audio 8 all of a sudden (it had to happen in a club of course...).

10. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

How can you not have enough power for your Audio8?

11. fella

fella NI Product Owner

When your notebook can't deliver the usb power needed, happens sometimes, when it does several things together, result is a dropout or glitch.

With a 9 dc volt adaptor you're not dependant from usb power from your notebook.

12. bigbadselecta

Well, all of a sudden there was no sound anymore and OSX showed a message that a usb-device had been turned off because it needed too much power. I had to reboot in order to get things working again.

This happened just once, but now I'm using a usb-y-cable to make sure it won't happen again...

The Audio 8 needs a lot of power, it's pretty close to the maximum of the usb-specification... it literally sucks...

13. fella

fella NI Product Owner

@bigbadselecta, what do you mean usb-y cable?
    What's the difference, please explain;)

14. bigbadselecta

it has two ends on the side you plug into your notebook => you get twice the power. They're usually used for external 2.5" harddisk. It's kinda hard to find a y-cable that fit's the Audio 8, mine is pretty cheap / bad quality and a bit short.

I'll have to look for a better one some time.

15. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

well guys thanks for all of the input. I'm gonna go check out both Serato and Traktor this week finally. Will let ya know what I decide.

I'm leaning a bit towards Serato right now...

16. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

it's only close to the max if you use absolutely every channel on the audio 8 plus demand a lot of your computer with full effects and key lock on on all 4 decks.

it's a mac thing saying that there's not enough power, although there is. i heared before about that, please contact the support, there exists a workaround.

still, the audio 8 needs more power than the ssl box - pretty logical, if you keep in mind that the audio 8 offers more channels and uses asio, which has the advantage that you can use it for any other audio software, too.

i can recommend traktor whole hearted as a dj, since it never let me down.

17. kourampies

kourampies Forum Member

even if my audio8 has a broken input, and i had 2 crashes on live situations with a big crowd, i still prefer it. nothing beats the sound quality of the audio8, it even sounds better than the same files burned on cd. and it also does 1.5ms safely, with 3 decks and recording, and with me hotplugging usb storage devices and running tag&rename at the same time. the stability issues are getting fixed, and the only real problem remaining is the keylock (im comparing with the rock solid and perfect sounding master tempo of the pioneer cdjs, not other dvs). actually is not a problem, since its perfectly acceptable by the crowd, and me, but i could be a lot better :p

so i recommend traktor, and im a full time performance dj that works on various places and setups, not a hobbyist.

18. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Would appreciate your thoughts following comparing the two please?

19. detaisound

detaisound Forum Member

I bought a Denon Controller to run Reflex Last Oct 2007, well Ive been Jammin Vinyl all my Life till then. And bought the Controller to because when im on a small job and dont need to showoff i thought it would be a great add, Well when Reflex didnt come out till 2 months ago i was forced to do something I picked Traktor to be different well im also a live Sound Tech and the Audio 8 is one of the best sounds i heard in a long time, Traktor Does have its problems but as said Earlier alot depends on your Equipment(OS), I will Convert to Mac Eventaully alot of the trouble i heard and feel is due to Windows not the Program Windows is a trip, I run Traktor with my Technic 1200's, sometime my Pioneer CDJ800Mk2 sometime, And finally My Denon is up and Running with Reflex as its Mapped totally and i like that and it is a sick controller, o and i did get Refex Cheap Full Version for waiting for a year or so, I Like Traktor and will be with NI forever its my first real program and does Everthing i Ask. P.S. sometimes i run internal, I have seen alot of Programs go Down, Have Backup, and Enjoy! 30years mixing and still going strong!

20. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

i have traktor 3 and serato:

the best thing about serato is that it is solid and has never failed me.

the next thing is that this will run on a 6 year old laptop,

then i like the waveforms which are so clear and usable and once marked wit cue points that i use as in out points you know exactly were you are and what your doing.

my current dilema is: should i buy traktor scratch and sell serato so i can use my xp10 midi controllers in conjunction with my 1210's and have an all in one 4 deck package package?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.