noobies' homework

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Aleksandr Smirnov, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Aleksandr Smirnov

Aleksandr Smirnov NI Product Owner

Okay, I've been messing around with my Reaktor for about one-two weeks or so, reading manuals, tutorials and I got some main aspects of working with it, but actually I'm quite a noobie to the whole nature of Reaktor. I have an idea that IMO will help me to get deeper into this program, so I could better understand what to do on the next level.

I know this forum visitors are mostly advanced or good users of Reaktor :p. My question is that probably you could give me some kind of tasks (or homeworks :D) which I will make and post here. These tasks can begin from usual simple tasks like making saw osc in core from scratch (I mean not using Built-in modules or ready osc's) of whatever to more difficult tasks later. You can ask: why can't I make tasks myself? Because I don't know yet what features are important to learn first in Reaktor and which aren't!

Also, if there are some more noobies on this forum for this idea, this thread can probably be sticky later and we can change here our experience as well.

If you think it's useless, it's up to you to delete it. :)

Thanks for you help! :)

2. herw

herw NI Product Owner

homework 1

ok here is one for beginners:

homework 1

you are allowed to use only the given modules to get the sound (hear attachment). You can download the ensemble to create your solution and to upload here (don't forget to zip it).

ciao herw :p

Attached Files:

3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

well it depends what you want to make with Reaktor? are you interested in Synthesizers, or Samplers, or Effects?

sowari

4. herw

herw NI Product Owner

... or basics

5. Aleksandr Smirnov

herw,

Thanks for giving me the task. I'll try to build it asap.

sowari,

I'm interested in making synthesizers as well as samplers. The style I'm into is everything connected with Deep House & Deep Techno with experemental influences, as I also like stuff like IDM, Experemental, Electronica.

Thanks for your answers!

6. Aleksandr Smirnov

Here is my solution. I don't know if it's right made inside, but if I compare it with your mp3 it sounds exactly or almost the same. First, I sent pitch multiplied by envelope to oscillator frequency. Second, I attached numbers in the right order to attack, decay, sustain and release. Thirdly, I wired envelope with amplitude and pitch note with oscillators pitch. Hope it's done. What the mark is? :D

Attached Files:

7. herw

herw NI Product Owner

yes that is right - perhaps too simple?
    next homework?

ciao herw
    :p

8. Aleksandr Smirnov

Please;) Anyway this is getting more interesting. I didn't know that such way you can manupalute pitch and frequency. Thanks for this. I have to be wider minded tho I guess.

9. sijarvis

sijarvis Forum Member

I'm also up for doing more small projects with Reaktor in order to learn some building techniques.

Simple project Herw but greatly appreciated. If you want to do some more that would be superb.

10. Two headed demon

Two headed demon NI Product Owner

Such topic would be a great help in understanding some basic principles of building and use of objects in reaktor which are poorly covered in manual. So please do post some more homeworks for us little newbies :)

Thanks!

11. herw

herw NI Product Owner

ok i will do - first i have to do my job now.
    Perhaps it is a good idea to wait with posting solutions two or three days to force the learning curve for other users.

I will post first some basics-homeworks for primary level. Perhaps there are other homework creators ?

ciao herw

until afternoon (in Germany).

12. Aleksandr Smirnov

Yeah, let's probably make some kind of rules here. Like, don't post solutions too early (1-2-3 days) etc. I hope there will be some other members who will post tasks for us as well. Thanks again!

13. omx

omx Forum Member

Hey, Herw, it is a great idea that of the homework: what about a sticky thread with homeworks about audio and events?

14. SigmaF

SigmaF NI Product Owner

15. Two headed demon

These two tutorials were great help for me, perhaps I should read them again to refresh my memory.

Thanks again guys for taking your time with our homeworks!

16. Aleksandr Smirnov

Thanks for these tutorials. Will read them today's evening.

P.S: I'm for sticky too (with some other name of topic probably there all the info for newbies will be posted).

17. herw

herw NI Product Owner

homework 2

ok here is your next homework (for advanced beginners :p ).
    I think it is a good idea to wait three days for uploading your solutions here.
    BUT another good idea is to discuss and ask about what you hear from the mp3 file to get some more information. I will have an eye to this thread (sorry about my English, i am a non native speaker).
    Have fun.
    homework_2.gif
    You have to use only the given modules. I didn't delete all wires to make it a little bit easier. The file is so big because i have added a delay module. You can wire it after you have found the solution. The mp3 sound uses only the shown modules.

ciao herw

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  18. Aleksandr Smirnov

Thanks for the new task! Okay, it's getting more and more harder!

1) 3 days for one task are okay!
    2) Probably discuss ideas of how to PHYSICALLY make sound, not how to MAKE IT in Reaktor itself.
    3) Ask questions about task as well.

;)

19. Aleksandr Smirnov

I guess the dicision lies between connecting three osc's one thru each other through their outputs and FM. MP3 file sounds for me like sound of one OSC with FM changes.

20. Two headed demon

Yes thats my guess too. And there is probably also an envelope modulating the FM amount, but still I dont know what to do with a multiplier attached to 0.05 constant and the sound I get is not even close to posted mp3 file. And the audio osc is one of the square oscilators (probably the one without -300 constant) but Im not sure about that.