1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Not enough memory to install

Discussion in 'NATIVE ACCESS' started by Keith McDowell, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Keith McDowell

Keith McDowell New Member

Ive hit a wall . I purchased the 11 ultimate upgrade two days ago but when I went on native access to install, it just keeps saying
    " not enough memory available in "/" space.
    Ive got over 500 gb's available on my drive .
    Help?

2. Bram @ NI

Bram @ NI NI Team

Hi Keith,

Can you please try installing some applications separately? Normally this should work just fine...

We are currently (heavily) over-estimating the free space you need when you click the "install all" button. This is a known bug... But installing fewer products than "All" should work!

- Bram

3. Keith McDowell

Keith McDowell New Member

Seems to be working one at a time. Thanks for the solution. Albeit a tedious one. Lol

4. Bram @ NI

Bram @ NI NI Team

Great!
    Yeah, this is quite tedious!
    What you could do is click the install buttons of those products you want, one after another, without waiting between clicks.
    So just "queue them up"...

- Bram

5. Advocatus Diabolii

Advocatus Diabolii Member

I have the same problem. Trying to upgrade my Mac Komplete Select to Kontakt 11 download version. Have more free space than needed both on the internal and external ssd. Trying "install all" failed. So tried one by one. So far seems to be ok for other K11 products I have installed so far, but Kontakt point blank refuses to install due to "not enough" disk space. And Kontakt I need urgently.

What to do, NI? You got my money, can I please get my products please.. :)

Any ideas among the community, how to fix this will be highly appreciated.

AC

6. Bram @ NI

Bram @ NI NI Team

Hi Advocatus Diabolii,

could you please contact tech support with some screenshots of your disk space and errors in Native Access?

- bram

7. Advocatus Diabolii

Thank you for your message!

I will contact the support with images as soon as I get the time. It is the Midsummer's Eve today, which is a kinda big thing in Finland, a million things to do. Hopefully will have time for making music later tonight. :)

8. Advocatus Diabolii

Still busy, but I'll attach a photo here, for the time being. Hmm.. Won't upload a 2,8 MB png-file. Will have to try later. AC

9. Advocatus Diabolii

Hi,

This is what I found out eventually:

Although the program (NA) complains about "not enough memory" and refuses to begin to install some (big) files, it will install others. And when the installing process goes further, (more and more has been installed) it begins to accept more and more files to be installed - including files it refused to install in the beginning.

In my first computer I had given up hope because of the "not enough memory" messages (although there was more than enough memory) and to add insult to the injury I managed to hit "eject" to my external drive accidentally. But when I rebooted the Mac, and fired up the NA program again, lo and behold, everything had been installed fine and dandy. What I had done - I think - I had hit "install" on most files and perhaps even hit the "install all" thing. Be it as it may, everything installed ok.

And in my second Mac, where I install the libraries from my external ssd, the last file is being installed now. Knowing how much stuff does into K11 I am rather impressed that in the end this went so smoothly.

This latter Mac is a MBP Touch bar with 8 GB of 2133 Mhz LPDDR3 memory, macOS Sierra 10.12.5, 2,9 GHz Intel Core I 5, Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB, Samsung T3 500 GB SSD. And Komplete 11 Download version, upgrade for Komplete select.

Thanks for all help!

AC

10. Advocatus Diabolii

Bram,

I sent screenshots and made a support request to NI. I was unable to install the Kontakt sample library due to "not enough memory", although I was trying to install it on en external SSD-HD that had like four times the needed memory free.

I am keen on getting advise how to get my MBP running with all Kontakt libraries, as right now it is those libraries that I need the most.

Hope your "lot" can get into the core of the problem rather soon... :D

AD

11. Bram @ NI

Bram @ NI NI Team

Hi Advocatus Diabolii,

please notice that even though you are installing on an external HD you still need quite some "temporary" free space on your main HD. This is probably what is tripping you up... Make sure you (also) have enough free space on your main HD!

- bram

12. Advocatus Diabolii

Hmmm.. that could be the thing. Although I might have trouble finding big enough files to uninstall to get enough free space on my main HD. Also, someone wrote somewhere that the part of free memory that shows up as "purgeable" or something, can cause problems. Any advise regarding that?

And/or, could I temporarily uninstall something by Native instruments to get free space to my system HD?

-AC

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  13. Advocatus Diabolii

On how to get that "purgeable" memory freed I found help here:

http://www.jackenhack.com/mac-os-purgeable-remove-clear-space/

I used the simpler script, although I had to alter the file size ("20m") to a much bigger size to be able to fill the empty space faster.

At first I thought the command didi not work with my new values ""900m" but it was took the processor a little bit of time to create the bigger file.

Making copies of it again and again was fast, though. (And if you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, read the article in the link, and you will get me.) And finally deleting them was just a snap, too.

And as the result I was finally able to install the Kontakt factory library. :)

However, if NI ever want me to upgrade to ultimate you must make one able to install it in wayyy smaller chunks.

The need to have 70 GB (even temporarily) of free space on the system disk is ridiculous. I for one would not be able to install the ultimate, ever, as I shall never have enough space on my system drive.

Requirement of 5-10 free Gigs at the system disk would be a sensible maximum.

-AC

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017