1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

In Sticky Notation Pattern Stretching

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Lowkus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

Please add notation pattern stretching to the next build of Maschine. I've created a theoretical image of what it would look like; you can see two identical groups of notes but with one of them pattern stretched. I was eyeballing the appearance, the software would stretch the notes out perfectly. Also, keep in mind the stretching looks a bit odd because when the pattern is stretched only the starting points should change, the note lengths remain the same. Notation pattern stretching would be extremely useful for recording without a click-track, to feel out the groove that inspires you, and then once you've gotten the beat you can stretch it to fit the BPM. Or if you had a triplet that was just a little too fast or a little too slow, you could highlight those three notes and stretch them a bit so they fit just at the speed you want to hear.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

The king of GIFs will help on this one...
    [​IMG]

+1.
    This would be so useful...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

Very close to correct animation except the note lengths would stay the same.

4. D-One

That would make the notes collapse on top each other in the case of shrinking the pattern size, either way, it's not a big deal since you can manually re-adjust the note lengths. So in any way this feature is added is fine by me.

5. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

It's okay if the sounds overlap when the pattern shrinks, you can choke them like an open/closed hihat pair if you don't want the sound to overlap.

The reason for keeping the length the same is so that the drum hit stays the same. No need to change pitch or playback length or sample length.

Boom, bap.. boom bap.

Boom..... bap............boom...bap.

6. D-One

For drums, most people use One-Shot Mode so the size of the midi event doesn't make any difference for most people since this is midi and not audio, affecting the note length is the default behavior for all software i know.. Ableton, Reason, Cubase, there's a reason for that being how it is.

Altho this feature is quite useful from Drums Programming it's with polyphonic material that it's really is super useful, stretching a drum pattern the manual way or redoing it is far more easy than a complicated Piano chord progression with a melody on top and bass notes since it generally has more events than drums.

The best way to please everyone would be to have a toggle that enables or disables the stretch from affecting note length.

7. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

I don't use one-shot mode very often (it's a bit sterile), especially with long samples where I'm pulling something like a single snare hit from a drum break. If the note lengths get shorter the snare will be cut off too early, and if the length gets longer it will play past the snare into whatever other sounds trailed the snare. I don't mind if there is a toggle option to stretch the note when stretching the pattern, as long as I can turn that option off so that the note length won't stretch.

8. Tim Verberne

Tim Verberne NI Product Owner

I have struggled with this many times. I certainly hope that Native Instruments will eventually add this! +1

9. hmichelsen

hmichelsen New Member

+1 Yes please! So frustrating when you have a pattern in double/half tempo and you can't change it fast