1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Nouveau Collection

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by p1afff, Jun 13, 2018.

1. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

I did not notice until very recently that the Nouveau Collection has been suppressed from the UL. And after some quick searches, it seems M.F is no more present here neither. I saw his interest in the VCV Rack platform, but does someone know if there's any other reason ? The disappearance of the Nouveau Collection is a great loss for the new users of the UL. :-/
    Could this be a "perverse effect" of the wonderful free UL, as builders and passionates have also to make their living in some way, and that an efficient Reaktor platform for commercial sales at moderate prices (like say Gumroad) would be necessary ? Could this be Sounds.com, for example ?

My few questions for today ...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

3. Jonathan Tremblay

Jonathan Tremblay NI Product Owner

Sadly that's why I pulled my collection from the UL too, since I moved out of my parents place I needed to start paying rent.
    However I am slowly re-uploading everything separately with only pricing those that I felt worthy, it also allows to build higher quality work if I know it can support me financially. Except recently I have just been giving some stuff out for free xD

Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Do you've no business and earn money?

5. Jonathan Tremblay

I do have a job, not audio related but I still do mastering on the side if anyone contacts me, that money goes towards gear.

• Like Like x 2
  6. herw

herw NI Product Owner

I don't understand: why has Matthew to delete his REAKTOR uploads when he earns money with VCV Rack platform? VCV-module are not REAKTOR ensembles or instruments.

• Like Like x 1
  7. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

On FB, he explained « downloads generated less than a penny a piece, so if a Reaktor update were to break anything, there would be far too much time needed to fix all 60 modules in the set. The responsible thing to do was removing it to make it clear that the project is no longer supported ». That was his idea it seems.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

1. We all here have to be more generous with valuable builders, if they ask (or not ?) for some earning. The idea of this free area is immensely great, but the level of expertise required is high, so lots a time is required to deliver something of the quality we often see here. Prices are often quite low...
    2. It will be great if NI found a way to push Reaktor User made ens/inst sales. The latest Reaktor Player move does not seem to generate a massive rush. Or is it just a question of time ?
    3. Or someone else do something, something like a Reaktor Boutique ? Gumroad seems to be used, but for many people, it’s invisible :-/

Be sure I’m not all the kind of guy who wants to put money in everything, no. But I would not like to see some builders quitting the UL or going to other platforms...

I don’t know, this is just a quick reaction after the « Nouveau affair » ;-), but what do you guys think ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs NI Product Owner

I would like to also be clear here that I get regular requests for support on Nouveau from users. This includes requests for manuals as well as general assistance with patch building. That also takes time, and is one of the other main reasons for removing Nouveau from the internet. As to why I have not made anything for Reaktor in some time, this Kickstarter sums it all up. Link not formatting correctly, so I have posted the link without . here. (www kickstarter com/projects/unitedaudioartists/scratch-master-pro) I had a whole new thing built and ready to go once the paperwork was official, saw the fees and just never released it as I can not afford to gamble that much money at one time. Something called fiscal responsibility on my end. If I had the cash lying around, there would already be an official version of Lyrebird for Reaktor as well.

There is also one other piece of information missing from this post. Nouveau was a project I made specifically to add on my resume. I have since removed Nouveau from my resume. I do not consider Nouveau to be particularly "valuable". I will not be re-uploading it nor do I want to see re-uploads of Nouveau in any form. Including anything like re-skins or a "mega patch" that uses all or most of the blocks. It has been down for around a month at this point, and I don't see any reason to put it back up just because one person noticed it was missing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

In the past I also delete some older babies from UL out of my starting base in 2006 ff. I don't like them anymore!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan Tremblay

While I do understand your decision and respect it, I find it a shame to disallow modifications of blocks and edits. Especially since for some that are up and coming it may be easier for them to do than to build a block from scratch, or the other view where a user makes a mod/edit and actually keeps supporting the block in question. Even you had a whole folder for block mods.

12. colB

colB NI Product Owner

IIRC, He also used Make Noise IP in a VCV Rack module without permission and had to re-issue it with a non-infringing front panel. Interesting that this refreshingly relaxed attitude to IP doesn't stretch to his own work ;)

13. MatthewFriedrichs

The idea that I don't allow modification of my blocks is demonstrably false. Just look at how many ensembles and custom instruments use the Vodka filter. What I said was specifically about re-uploading all or most of Nouveau. I do not want to see anything resembling a Nouveau collection as the support issues will fall squarely back to me. If people modify a few of the old Nouveau blocks, that is fine. If they just change the knob graphics and reup the full set, that is a no-no. If they rip out the code and make a new thing entirely, that is great! I would really encourage that. Lyrebird comes with a dev kit, and people who buy Lyrebird are welcomed and encouraged to make their own instrument with it.

As far as Floats goes, there was never any IP infringed. The panel changed to make users happy. Not some company that I don't care about. I'm all about the customer experience.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jonathan Tremblay

Oh I know, I wasn't docking you for that, and I agree with that.

Also I hope I didn't spawn an IP discussion, I'm not picking sides.

15. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

well, this is unfortunate. :( not sure that there's any obligation to maintain support, but pulling a great collection of Blocks is a big loss to the UL.

anyone know when the latest upload was? i think the most recent that i have is from the end of 2016 (??). haven't been keeping track for almost a year now.

16. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

My last download was from 2017-05-18 = 80 files

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

mm, I see I have 60 of them. It seems to be called ver 2 or 2.1 on my HD.

18. MatthewFriedrichs

The last count is 60 flat. There was an additional set of 44 blocks based off of vintage, analogue computers and how they worked, but those were never released as the few beta testers did not care for them. They were too cryptic because they worked too much like the real thing. The only casualty there is the mythical 8 step sequencer that can be chained infinitely to build a sequence of any length AKA RAM.

19. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

You mean this seq was yours ?

20. Jonathan Tremblay

as much as these beta testers didn't care for them, I would really love a copy :D Sounds awesome!

• Like Like x 2