1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Nouveau Collection

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by p1afff, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs NI Product Owner

Yes, I made a sequencer that could be chained, but it was the result of making a RAM module. I later added pointers so that you could both read and write to the ram. For example, you could take the trigger from the end of the sequence and then randomly re write one or more values. In other words, make a Turing Machine with just two blocks. You could even allocate memory if you really wanted to do that. So then one system would use one chunk of RAM, while a second system could use a separate part of the connected RAM. However, it is just faster to use another unconnected chunk of RAM.

If anyone else also made a sequencer that could be chained together in the blocks format, I would love to see it.

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Nouveau Collection 2xx 80 files
    6 Block Mods: Bento Box XFade EI, C3379 Filter FullReso, Modark Oscillator, MultiBP-EG KT, Rounds LFO KT, Scatter KT.
    ! Manual: Example 00 Oscillator and Wavetable, 2 Samples, 2 Example Ens, Maestro Example
    9 Effects: ADC, Audio Morpher, Binary Ring, Bit Rotator, Chrome SNH, Delay Bank, Disorder, Drive Eraser, FSU Degree.
    9 Filters: Digital Delight, EPS Filter, EPS+ Filter, Harmonic Adder, Jingdezhen, Low Pass Gate, Neon obj-6lw10, Neon, Vodka Filter.
    3 Grains: Grain Control, Grain Envelope, Grain.
    6 Mixing: 4 by 4 Matrix, Forge Decimator, Mix Meld, Mod Bus, Mux Clean, Mux.
    11 Modulation: Calculator, Chaos Theory, Envelope Designer, Envelslewp, Mathematical, Pendulum, Quantized Random, Radiation, Shift and Hold 8, Tapper, The Sink.
    10 Oscillators: Alphatari, Atlas, Marble, Maybelogue BLK, Maybelogue OSC, Opera FM, Propaganda, Safe Cracker, TODOS, Wavemasher.
    7 Samplers: Dictator, L4yer, Maestro, Sample Trader, TAPE NOUVEAU, TN Expander, Zen.
    6 Sequencing: 16 32 Step, 16 Step, 64 Step, Ratchet Drummer, Seq Performer, Trigger Quantizer.
    7 Tools: Buff Butt, CV Shift, Live Normalize, Pong For One, Scratch ACC, Scratch Knobs, Scratch Morpher.
    = 74 Blocks

3. Thala

Thala NI Product Owner

if support is the biggest problem, upload them here in the forum?

your nouveau progression was made as i was into a creative phase as well. now i just wanted to lean back and spend some time with creations of other developers and its gone.

it feels like hitting the wrong one hard.

cheers

4. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

thanks, looks like i've got all of it except for the second 'Neon' filter. dated 12/30/16, not sure if anything had been updated after that. just looking at the pdf, i can see how "supporting" these Blocks could be quite a bit of effort. still, i don't see anything good about this being pulled. there's so many great Blocks here.

man, i just thought of all the discussion in the UL entry page that's gone. :(

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Neon obj-6lw10 dated 2016-12-28 and Neon 2016-11-03

6. MatthewFriedrichs

It appears I don't even have the full Nouveau Collection at this point!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

If you give me your permission I upload it here in forum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MatthewFriedrichs

Not a chance. The project is done, and it will stay that way. No re-uploads means no re-uploads anywhere. I don't see what is hard to understand about that.

I don't see any advantage to hunting down every last variant. The collection would have been well over 100 blocks if I had actually released all of the blocks I made. I only put out the ones that were unique or solved a problem that a lot of people had.

• Like Like x 1
  9. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Well tried ;-)

10. Exiannyc

Exiannyc NI Product Owner

I just want to point out that Matthew Friedrichs is a very generous builder who has made free contributions in a number of formats besides Reaktor. Every time he runs across a new computer music platform, it seems, he produces something generous and innovative, and then gives it away.

He wrote some of the best user-built code for the Soundmachines Nanosynth NS-1, an Arduino based physical modular synth THAT COSTS ABOUT $200. http://www.sound-machines.it/product/ns1nanosynth/

It's a great little machine, but the LFO is not voltage controllable, and it doesn't have a sequencer. Matthew wrote and gave away Arduino code to give it a CV controllable LFO - and a sequencer. Brilliant. He also took the time to try and help me solve my installation problems, after which I tried to return the favor by posting detailed instructions, so that other people wouldn't have to bother him with similar questions. http://www.sound-machines.it/forums/topic/modlfo-firmware-for-ns1/

Lyrebird for Reaktor. Hot Bunny et al for VCV. These are super creative, innovative, well presented, well documented, solid work, often with tutorials. They represent hundreds of hours of work, I would assume. Maybe more.

People who build complex ensembles, or large collections of Blocks, or innovative code in numerous formats, and then give much of their work away, are not like the rest of us. They play by their own inscrutable rules, and they have the right to do what they want with their own creations. The way I see it, they don't owe us anything, least of all ongoing development or support. Or even (if it gives rise to requests for ongoing development or support) the ongoing availability of their (free) creations.

My humble suggestions: Grab 'em while you can, say thank you, make donations and/or buy not-free works, respect people's choices, enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  11. jue

jue NI Product Owner

Just some little questions, was able to download the the whole collection, made a new UI design and some changes her and there that the blocks fit my needs, even made some corrections.
    Now if I want to upload this resulting blocks to the library or give them away to friends is no more allowed?
    In my eyes if this is true the whole reactor library makes no sense!
    For me its a very clever business by NI to have a lot of people working for them without pay?

12. jue

jue NI Product Owner

If I think one step further, if I load up something from this collection could Matthew send out some
    lawyers? Could this also be a new business model?

13. Exiannyc

Exiannyc NI Product Owner

Hello Jue and welcome to the forum.

You ask good questions. Many things in the user library are similar to what you describe. People improve or redesign what other people have built. Usually everybody is happy about this.

But I think it is always a good idea to ask the original builder first. You can write to Matthew and ask him.

Also, I think it is always good to explain whose work you are building on, and what you did to improve it, in the User Library. That way we can all go on learning together.

14. jue

jue NI Product Owner

As I made hundrets of blocks for different styles of sequencing over the last year, and took code from all over the UL, so it is difficult for me to say from were it was taken, the control was completely lost.

Think no need to write Matthew!
    He wrote in this thread:
    Not a chance. The project is done, and it will stay that way. No re-uploads means no re-uploads anywhere. I don't see what is hard to understand about that.

The only message I want to sent to Matthew is that there are sequencers that could be chained together in the blocks format, he is not the only one who can do this.

Offered NI my block collection on different ways, but the only response was that they sendet me a three pages Non-Disclosure Agreement befor they even want to talk to me at the phone.
    Sorry, but I feel my self more as a composer or musician and not a lawyer.

So the best would be to keep all this blocks private and use them for my music and my projects only.

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Create a patch with lots of snapshots and some [not all] of the Blocks inside.
    That can't be forbidden! This patch is a new beast.

16. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

He said he precisely did not want that. So like it or not, I would say respect his work, don’t do it. Just my 2 cents.

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

There are some other patches in U/L using MF's Blocks.
    Must the creators delete them now?

18. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Yes, as a Blocks collection of him.

19. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

I did not review his statement, bit I hink using some MF Blocks in a patch should not be a problem. It’s different from uploading the collection with a few cosmetic changes and some minor tweaks. Which he said he did not want. It would be a little like using a CC licence as a commercial product.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jue

jue NI Product Owner

p1afff wrote:
    It’s different from uploading the collection with a few cosmetic changes and some minor tweaks.

No question about uploading the collection, he got what he wanted, attention and a title and he needs the forum users no more, we have to to live with it.

But if you really want to use some of this blocks you will quickly see that they need more than a few cosmetic changes and some minor tweaks. As a first example have a look to the A/B modulations, try to use them.

And even this corrected versions seem not to be allowed to upload to the UL now.

The main question in this case for me is, if I give something away for free to the public, is it possible to say later it not legal to use it?